Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Animal Welfare in schools

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Eroswoof, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Following on from Jetsmum's idea I'd be happy to try and set something up with other people?

Even if not in schools then it could work as one off nights at youth clubs etc

I was thinking maybe animal first aid would be a good starting point?

Em
    xx

#1 Eroswoof, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
  2. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Great idea,good luck with everything. :)

#2 portiaa, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  3. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Thank youuuu :D Not sure how well it will go and such but it's worth a try :thumbup:

Em
    xx

#3 Eroswoof, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
  4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I think they may find first aid more interesting, but a lot of kids have no idea how to even handle or treat pets do they. Gotta say I don't know any first aid Singing:

5. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

hya Em .....sounds good to me :D

6. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Correct handling and things could be another bit! xx

Ello :lol: xxxxxx

7. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I think parents also need to be educated too, maybe try and make it a parent child thing!

8. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Sounds good :)

Maybe the basics first too, care, food, water and the most important lesson RESPONSIBILITY. Maybe talk about the work rescue centres do and how animals are a long term commitment.

Also i think there is a real need for teaching children about how to behave round strange dogs. We all say on here how clueless some kids are its scary. Just the basics of not approaching, asking permission, how to approach and what to do if a dog runs at you etc would be great. Little girls are a total nightmare for fussing oscar when he is tied up unattended outside the swings :rolleyes:

Caught 2 little girls "insisting" he gives them a "paw" the other day which he doesn't do and hates having his paws touched, now he is EXTREMELY tolerant with children but i could see by the time i got there (which was less than a minute) that he was extremely uncomfortable with it all :( No parent about coz she was too busy chatting to her mate :rolleyes: can you imagine if he had nipped one of them or even mouthed them (which he will do to say he has had enough but is extremely soft mouthed with it) :rolleyes:

9. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Ugh :rolleyes: Bless him. Some kids were sticking their hands through the letterbox at my dads yesterday and teasing Bumble :rolleyes::

So yes, even basic things like that'd be brilliant :D

Em
    xx

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Thats a great idea Em. So many people say my son/daughter wants a dog, and I think in a lot of cases that is the reason why parents get animals for kids. Trouble is the novelty wears off, doesnt matter what it is small animal wise or dog/cat, the answer or a long way towards it would be educating kids.

11. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Can i suggest taking some of the best quotes out of the "thinking of getting a puppy" thread on here and making them into a leaflet the children could take home to share with Mum and Dad ;)

There are some great posts on that thread, humorous but gritty and honest.

12. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Of course! Everyone loves a handout :thumbup:

Would any other members be interested in doing any bits etc? It's easy for me because I've no family commitments so I'm not as busy as most of you though xxxx

13. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Would love to but zero time at the moment. My friend and i are planning on doing a "Dog Awareness" sesion with our Junior Rangers group though later in the year.

Have to say i offered to do this in my local school and they didn't "get it" they looked at my idea like i was mad so would suggest local clubs and groups might be better.

14. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

i would think brownies would love it :D

15. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:lol: I can imagine their faces :lol: Thanks for your advice :D
    Do you mind me asking what sort of things you'll be doing in the awareness session? Just so I can get some ideas :eek:

Aye! I didn't even realise they were still about! Oooo fun :D
    xxxx

16. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

We thought we would take the dogs along for a meet and greet and just chat to the kid about dogs in the park and the "rules" of engagement kind of. Like i said, why you shouldnt approach, asking for permission to approach, how to approach, body language (inc growling) and what to do if you are chased (assuming the "tree" position) or curling into a ball if the dog is aggresive.

We thought we might print some pictures off the net to demonstrate body language, alot of children mistake bared teeth for a dog smiling at them :eek:

17. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:eek: Really?! Eee dear :lol: I was thinking I'd focus on dogs, cats, rabbits and maybe horses?

Em
    xx

18. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

This sounds like a great idea! I'd be happy to help sort out leaflets etc with you, and organise and do talks this end of the country. :)

19. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:D:D:D:D:D:D You're a star :D

Em
    xx

20. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Rabbits definately given their status as the countries most neglected pet :( Again with that i would focus on the importance of have a bonded pair, adequate housing AND the long term commitment. There is some good info on here Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund

If you want to make the point get interactive and find a big cardboard box that the kids can just about move in and get them to make it into a hutch, then see how they like being in it with hardly any room ;) kids love that sort of thing and it really makes the point better than just talking to them about it ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice