Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Animal Testing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Beagle Mafia, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Most people seeing my chosen breed of dog will understand that I am 99.999999% against animal testing. I do not buy products tested on animals and have gone as far as saying I will not buy Pringles (Proctor and Gamble product).

I do take paracetamol, antibiotiocs and my inhalers however unlike most I think about why and appreciate how my medicine is safe because one of Buster's and Millie ancestors made sure it was safe. They also made safe that people do not go around drinking bleach and spraying pesticides in their eyes as animals for years have proven that that it is unsafe. An animal somewhere suffered organ failure, was disected alive and was murdered to make sure I could get better. The 0.0000001% comes from the fact that at the moment animal testing is a way to find cures for diseases and it has saved so many lives in the past.

According to the 'Pro animal research site'

So many times I have questioned the use of animals in determining cures after all we are so different in structure aren't we? I recall a story in the press where a drug was passed via animal testing and during clinical trials caused a severe reaction and was deemed unsafe for human use.

according to the 'pro animal testing site'

However the Dr hadwen Trust have found other methods but our government (not just the ConDem coalition but labour before) are unwilling to try other methods.

In fact the 'Pro animal testing site' suggest that animal testing is find as most of the animals are rodents anyway.

Umm I don't give a **** what animals are used they are and its a disgrace :mad: how can they assume that because they are mice or rats they are less entitled to a pain free life? grrrr

Some useful sites for reading.
    SHAC >> Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty
    DHT - Dr Hadwen Trust for Humane Research - UK's leading non-animal medical research charity
    Understanding Animal Research

Anyway on facebook today I noticed that a laboratory near Scotland is closing down 500+ jobs will be lost and 100+ beagles need to be rehomed or will face euthanasia. I am unsure of details, localtion (near edinburgh I believe) whether there are other animals requiring help BUT if anyone has info I'd be so grateful. I'd urge anyone who can give an ex-laboratory animal a second chance at life to do so they have given so much to society already. From what I understand all beagles are healthy and ready for a loving home.

Any further info from scottish members reatfully received. :thumbsup:

2. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I don't use anything tested on animals or that isn't vegetarian from toothpaste to cleaning products :D

Em
    xx

3. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Good issues to bring up.

Thankfully with a little thought, we really don't need to use very much that has been tested on animals, so many products now are not.

Like most people I take/have taken medicines tested on animals, as have MY animals. But I do try to be mindful of what I buy and use, I tend to use organic products where possible too.

4. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

We all have to take medicine, we all know someone who has suffered with an illness requiring treatment and these illnesses have been investigated in animals. I just wish more effort would be made to find other methods. In the meantime I am so grateful for what these animals have been through. :(

Wish I could help them all but can't please if you can give an ex lab animal a home do consider it I can't think of anything more rewarding :)

5. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I hope the lab is working with rescues to try and place the Beagles?

6. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Contacted my 'boss' at Beagle Welfare today she'd not heard anything yet. About to contact Many Tears however I have no details on location, contacts etc so looking for this info first.

:)

7. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

For those of you wanting to make a change or help the cause...

P&G products to boycott
    List up-to-date as of April 2008

A
    Ace ~ laundry
    Always & Alldays ~ feminine hygiene
    Ariel ~ laundry
    Anna Sui ~ fragrance
    Aussie ~ hair care

B
    Baldessarini ~ fragrance
    Bold ~ laundry
    Born Blonde ~ hair dye
    Bounce ~ laundry
    Braun ~ electric shavers etc

C
    Camay ~ soap
    Christina Aguielera ~ fragrance
    Crest ~ toothpaste

D
    Daz ~ laundry
    Dolce & Gabbana ~ fragrance
    Dreft ~ laundry
    Dunhill ~ fragrance
    Duracell ~ batteries

E
    Escada ~ fragrance
    Eukanuba ~ pet food

F
    Fairy ~ various cleaning products
    Febreze ~ fabric spray
    Fibresure ~ health supplement
    Fixodent ~ denture fixer
    Flash ~ cleaning product

G
    Gillette ~ shaving products
    Giorgio Beverley Hills ~ fragrance
    Glide ~ dental floss
    Gucci ~ fragrance

H
    Head & Shoulders ~ shampoos
    Herbal Essences ~ shampoos
    Hugo Boss ~ fragrances
    Hydrience ~ hair dye

I
    IAMS ~ pet food
    Infacare ~ baby wash

J
    Jean Patou/Joy ~ fragrances

L
    Lacoste ~ fragrance
    Lasting Care ~ hair dye
    Laura Biagiotti ~ fragrance
    Lenor ~ fabric softener
    Loving Care ~ hair dye

M
    Max Factor ~ make up
    Montblanc ~ fragrance
    Mum ~ deodorant

N
    Nice n Easy ~ hair dye
    Noxema ~ shaving foam

O
    Olay ~ skin care
    Old Spice ~ fragrance
    Oral B ~ dental products

P
    Pampers ~ disposable nappies
    Pantene Pro V ~ shampoo
    Pringles ~ snack food

S
    Silvikrin ~ hair care
    SK-II ~ skin care
    Shockwaves ~ hair products

T
    Tampax ~ feminine hygiene
    Thermacare ~ heat wraps

V
    Valentino ~ fragrance
    Viakal ~ bathroom cleaner
    Vicks ~ decongestant
    Vortex ~ bleach

W
    Wash n Go ~ shampoo
    Wella ~ range of hair products

Z
    Zest ~ soap

Its been hard giving up some of my favourite things loved herbal Essences and D+G perfume but there are plenty of substitutes :)

8. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Just to add - all Lush products are cruelty free and vegetarian, many are vegan.

Kingfisher toothpaste is also cruelty free and vegetarian :thumbup:

PS Lush will let you take your dog in too :D

Em
    xx

9. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Didn't know that thanks :)

10. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

No danger hen :D

Em
    xx

11. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Unfortunately a lot of medications have to be tested on animals:(

Not nice but then a lot of humans would be dead now without the tests:(

12. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I don't really mind medical testing being done on animals for severe problems where there is no other alternative. But thank you for the list of products I try not to use cosmetics or anything like that that have been tested on animals

13. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i buy the majority of my toiletries and cleaning products from the local co-op their own brands are all BUAV approved, again i only by BUAV approved cosmetics... i recently bought a few 'bits' from marks&spencers:)

ive boycotted P&G for years!...whatever i buy i try my best to ensure its cruelty free but its not easy.

14. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Unfortuntely a lot of medications are tested on animals but NO they do not have to be

DHT - Dr Hadwen Trust for Humane Research - UK's leading non-animal medical research charity

I did also say how grateful I am for the animals who suffered so that my ear infection is treated well, so that I can stop that headache and so that my asthma is handled well. In this day and age it doesn't have to be a neccessary evil there is a future without animal testing....thanks to the DHT

However I've just heard that 100 heroic dogs who have contributed a lifetime to helping us find cures are about to be murdered if a home isn't found. :(

15. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Like I said I only agree with it where there is no other viable alternative. It's great they're working out other methods much better than using animals.

16. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Celebrity Support - DHT - Dr Hadwen Trust for Humane Research

there seems to be quite a backing for the DHT, a charity I knew little of before today but a charity I will support in the future. :)

17. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Good the more support they get the better

18. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I try to use animal testing free products, started wearing make up again but once Im done with what I have wont by anymore but thats due to the fact it just sits on the shelf and I barely use it as I have no time to put it on.

I hope all the beagles find loving homes and the people find new jobs.

19. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

Thanks for the kick up the bum you guys.
    I used to be very careful about what I bought, but over the last few years, I've let it slide again. When I've used up all my supplies, it's back to etical products wherever possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice