Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Animal Testing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SophieCyde, Mar 30, 2011.

1. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

Does anyone here think its a good thing?

I'm chose to do the ethics of animal testing for my science coursework but I'm having trouble finding the good things about it as I blumming hate it , anyone got any positive points about it? :confused:

2. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Chose another subject for your science coursework, is my opinion.:)

3. ClaireLouise

Diabetics would be greatful of animal testing because of it they have Insulin

Not to mention numberous vaccines

4. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

:p

I wish I could , but I've already spent 2 hours doing the introduction and negative things (&research)

don't want to have to do it again :mad2:

5. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

I wouldn't be alive now if the first pacemaker hadn't been tested on a dog. I am fully aware that I owe my life to that dog.( He actually went on to live out the rest of his life too.)
    But I am totally against animal testing for cosmetics and cleaning products and other things like that.

6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Much as I hate to think of animals being hurt in any way unfortunately there is no viable alternative in some cases.

You only have to look at certain medical advanaces made from animal research to see positives; implants for Parkinsons diseas being one of the more recent that springs to my mind

7. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I hate the idea of testing on animals.. but through it we have found many vaccines and cures for some terrible diseases...

If they were tested straight on humans what would be the out cry then?

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

If there is no other viable alternative to the testing say computer modelling or using tissues rather than living animals and it's a serious condition then I reluctantly agree with it. It does save lives they discovered insulin causes diabetes by removing dog's pancreases, the first vaccines were tested on sheep etc.

For cosmetics it is completely wrong and I don't think it can ever be justified.

9. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

Do you mean animals used for research as well as stuff like for testing cosmetics? In scientific research you have to follow the 3 Rs. Reduce refine and replace. You can basically only use an animal if there is absolutely no viable alternative. I am definitely for animal testing for many things (obviously not cosmetics etc). I was involved in some research for my dissertation that involved using mice. A lot of mice died for our experiments. However this is the result: BBC NEWS | Health | Preterm baby 'lung growth hope' Personally I find the research justified and would happily be involved in similar stuff. An awful lot of life saving human medical things were first tried out on animals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice