Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Animal-related jobs???

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by Wispa2017, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Wispa2017

Wispa2017 PetForums Newbie

Hello!!
    I’m 13 and would really love to work with animals in the future...

I have always loved animals and wanted to work with them but other than a vet I can’t think of much else that’s out their that I could be...

I DO NOT want to be a vet because I wouldn’t be able to cope with surgery...but I am ok with a bit of blood, sick and poo.

I was thinking zookeeper? But then one of the people in my class has a uncle who is in charge of all things primate at a safari park and apparently isn’t paid much. In February 2019 I will actually be doing a zookeeper for a day experience as a late Xmas and birthday gift from my family which I can’t wait to do!!!!!!!!

But the thing is it’s not even like I can volunteer with animals because of my age. I can’t volunteer with literally ANYTHING because of my age.

So yep, my story... Is anyone here a zookeeper or similar? Or know any other jobs? We are having to research jobs at school so that’s whats brought this all on...but I do think I need to start putting together a mental plan of what I’m gonna do. Only 5 years till I’m 18...

Thank you x

2. PetYellowPages

PetYellowPages PetForums Newbie

Hi Wispa

Ok, no links allowed for a newbie (try being smart newbie!)

Google "22 Amazing Jobs With Animals" and "Careers with animals"

Hopefully you will find a couple of websites to help you look and decide

Also try Indeed using the term "pets" and your location (don't give your location anywhere the public can see, please).

If I can figure out how I will post the links for you.

Best of luck!

Colin

Wispa2017 likes this.
  3. Nancy toler

Nancy toler PetForums Newbie

Hi! I’m 13 as well, and trying to look up jobs I can do at this age that will give me some experience working with animals. (I have 2 cats, 2 mice and I’ve had rabbits before and I’m getting another pair in March time, so I do have experience but I want experience working with more animals like reptiles which my mum won’t hear of, haha).

I’ve wanted to be an animal conservationist for a while now... I’m not sure if that’s something you’re interested in? But here’s a list of other jobs with animals:

- zoologist (not the same as a zookeeper! It just means researching more exotic animals).
    - marine biologist
    - Seeing-eye dog trainer (training service dogs for blind people).
    - animal behaviourist
    - working at an animal rescue
    - work/ help out on a farm (you could probably do this at this age, if you live near a farm you could just ask to help out occasionally).
    - Cattery
    - petshop... not really a permanent job if you’re looking for a high-paying job haha... but I reckon when you’re 16 or so u can volunteer to help clean out the animal cages etc.

I hope that was helpful... and I recommend trying to find a farm or rescue that you can help out at on weekends for the time being because it will make it so much easier to get jobs with animals in the future if you have experience! Sorry it’s such a long reply! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice