Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Animal police

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nina, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Just wondered what your thoughts are on this subject.

I have found the R.S.P.C.A. to be extremely tolerant of animal cruelty. By this I mean, the amount of warnings given before action is taken.

In other parts of the world, action is taken quickly to avoid further suffering, and in parts of the States, I believe that some animal police are armed (please do not quote me on this however). I can understand the need to carry guns, since there are high cases of dog fighting, which are usually drug related.

Just wondered what your thoughts are?

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

yes they are
    they have programme on sky you see them there with guns they are really tough on the cruelty there

3. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

Thats one good thing about america, you get a warning then if it isn't sorted you lose your pet. but sometimes you dont even get the warning.

4. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I think I would prefer the RSPCA not to be armed, I know we do have a dog fighting problem in this country (I saw a program about it), i assume when dealing with something like this the police are brought in. The RSPCA are a charity not a law enforcement agency, they can ask people to sign animals over to them, but if they want to remove animals, they will need to do it on some other authority, ie a court order or with the police (I assume). Unless of course you know different

5. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

I think the RSPCA should be given the right to take animals away from people without having to get a court order because to be honest if the animal isn't being treated right then it deserves to be taken away as soon as possible. You never know what will happen to it in the time to get the court order.
    I don't agree with them being armed though.

6. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

I dont think here in the UK they need to be armed but they do need to have more power to be able to take an animal when its obvious its suffering - they need to get tougher! RSPCA are not top of my favourite people - they seem to not be interested or just give a useless warning and go no further with it...IMO.

7. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Totally agree...

I also think the local Council's Dog warden service should be more pro-active rather than reactive.

8. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Goodness, I am not advocating that our R.S.P.C.A be armed, just that they are more affective when dealing with cases of animal cruelty.

I also feel that they should have some basic veterinary training, so they are able to adminster pain relief when dealing with road traffic accidents.

It seems that this country tends to lag behind our American friends!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice