Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Animal Cruelty

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sleeping_Lion, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I really can't be bothered with the threads that poke fingers at small minorities of animal ownership, so thought I'd start one of my own, not that I needed any prompting from any members ;)

I look at the situation in animal rescue, with dogs being put to sleep hourly, being bred by those with no knowledge, and then I see ridiculous threads about the grand national, or controlling wolf populations in the US, and those threads attract hundreds of posts.

It makes me feel sad for those animals who die by the thousands for the pet and meat industry, thoughtlessly and without any respect. Yet if we were to call for a ban on pet ownership, to stop the cruelty to pets, we'd be called extremists, or to stop people from eating meat (which I do btw) we'd be forcing our view on others. So why is it acceptable to ban one form of cruelty over another? Surely the emphasis should be on the cruelty issue, a bit like the deed not breed issue??

2. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

Not sure what you mean by the words I've high-lighted???:confused:

Petitepuppet likes this.
  3. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

How are the threads about the Grand National and wildlife issues ridiculous? They attract posts and interest, because people feel they have something to say and ultimately that is what a forum is about.

Just because you don't like what people say, it certainly doesn't make their opinions or thoughts any less relevant or important than yours ...

4. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Everyone has their own version of cruelty, so what someone else thinks is fine another is not.

I dont agree that people should focus on one form and ignore another, if your gonna look at one form look at all of them.

I dont Horse racing should be banned nor with dog shows, or pet owner ship but if people strave to improve those things then thats a great thing in my books.

I mean my goal as a pet owner is to be best no the greatest pet owner my pets will ever have! But still people will disagree with me on what I do with my pets.

Well tough cookie, my poor pets ;) :D

5. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I did think that with my animal testing thread however then I realised that while I'm replused by what happens in those places not everyone agrees or could really give a damn. Think is not everyone agrees on what constitutes abuse :(

6. I don't think there is one single member on here that would disagree with you about the amount of dogs that are in rescue. and I happen to half think that
    JRS (a great ex member) were perhaps right in her views! and incase you don't know her that was that ALL breeding should be stopped!

There is many many forms of animal cruelty in the world and who are we to decide what any individual person can campagne against or strive towards! The plight of some animals may mean nothing to you yet may be someone elses extreme passion! AND every cause has to start somewhere! And if you ever get enough bums on seats so to speak you will get results!

7. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I think many don't, you are right ... but there are people who care about all aspects of animal welfare, but some aspects ... human nature being what it is ... they will feel more passionate about.

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I eat meat and dont mind admiting it.Now how the animals that i do eat are treated bothers me as much as any other cruel practice towards animals.Thanks to my daughte ( FREE SPIRIT) i have learnt a lot and my eyes have been open to the amount of cruelty that goes on.And because of this i was able with a clear conscience to start the thread about the Grand National.If by my starting that thread and others seeing the amount of deaths caused by horse racing has changed 1 persons mind then i feel i have helped in some way.

Amethyst likes this.
  9. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I think that raising animals to die for food , raising animals for sport and the pet industry are completely different things.

Some people can live without meat and I applaud them, I really do :), I tried that and it had a very negative effect on my health so I only buy organically farmed meat as it is ethically reared.

Food is a necessity, we need food and without it we will not survive. I cannot see that vegetarianism for the whole human race is feasible, and even if it was what would be the long term effects on our species? Scientists have shown that humans evolved our large intelligent brains by eating fish so if we gave up meat and fish would we as a species devolve into less intelligent beings and eventually chimps? If so this could be seen as cruelty to the human race.

Pets are a desire. I don't agree with putting a price on an animal as it makes them a commodity and unscrupulous people will use them to make money. The situation in rescues is horrific and other than a blanket ban on breeding for the next three years or so I don't see any way around it. Education is the way forward but schools won't put it into the national curriculum. However they will allow people from animal welfare organisations to do presentations in assemblies etc..so if you are passionate about the issue you could volunteer to do this.

Sport is an entertainment and capitalist venture, should animals lives be used this way? I don't know if there's anything wrong with using animals for non blood sports but if they are used then we should campaign for it to be cruelty free.

10. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

NoSpecialFeaturesHere PetForums Senior

Just because someone starts/replies to a thread about one topic concerning an aspect of animal cruelty, it does not mean that they care any less about the thousands of others.

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Enough bums on seats for what though hun, fox hunting, horse racing, two for a fiver chickens?

Shame you have never felt the need to start a thread for those issues that are actually more directly involved with animal cruelty, such as pet ownership and domestic animals raised for slaughter, or maybe I missed it..... ;)

Been veggie, done that, and I can honestly see why people take that route, but for me, the whole issue is not about tackling one issue, but all of it, management of animal species overall, whether domestic or wild, and that's my point with this thread (or one of them).

12. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

OMG how insulting! just because you cant understand how some people can actually care about about these issues:rolleyes: and because they care about them you dont think they care about other forms of cruelty:eek:

well heres gorgeous abused Frodo x one of the many thousand of staffies in shelters all over the country and who was on his last day in the pound before he was due to be pts! we transported him to the safety of a no kill rescue, all thanks to the hard work of the wonderful Ninja on here who asked us for help! so does this prove that i care about other issues on animal welfare now:rolleyes:...and in answer to your question we should be trying to ban ALL forms of cruelty, from the few animals still suffering in circuses for example to the many thousand factory farmed animals.

[​IMG]

13. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Well the way some reply you would think so. :rolleyes:

14. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Touche, as you should know, because I posted, I'm not against the grand national, but a proportion of what I raise through sales goes to EMW Sanctuaries UK, and I raise several thousand pounds per year for charity, some of which is for dog charities. I helped raise over three thousand pounds alone to bring Tangye back to the UK from Afthanistan.

So, tell me I don't care about animals......

15. Why would that be?:eek: I aint seeing it! The Grand National is the topic today purely because that has been rammed down our throats for the last week! Next week it will be another cause!

16. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

ive never questioned you...its you who keep implying that because people such as me, care about the cruelty of say foxhunting that we dont care about other forms of cruelty:confused:

17. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

The royal wedding? Will we be slating mildly germainic wedding rituals, or would that be deemed as wrong?

18. I know you are one of the most passionate people I knowwhen it comes to cruelty to ANY animal Noush! Don't you EVER feel you have to justify yourself to anyone. And great to see Frodo AT LAST

19. We'd better get our acts polished then eh!
    German Wedding Traditions

20. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I refuse to slap your lederhosen one more time!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice