Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Animal activists! Are they all mad?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mrs phas, Nov 7, 2019.

1. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

No, I don't think they're all mad. There are a vocal minority who cause more harm than good IMO, but in general someone who cares enough to work so passionately towards the betterment of another species can't be all bad no?

This side of the pond there was a recent scandal in the horse industry of a 'trainer' using a device under the horse's saddlepad - shock device. Supposedly to train the horse out of his reluctance to get in to the in-gate/chute area before barrel racing. The most vocal opponents were those in the barrel racing community. The entire community came down on this trainer like a ton of bricks. Naming, shaming, and plastering the video all over social media. I'm not a fan of social media witch hunts, but I do commend the barrel racing community for unanimously denouncing this trainer and their methods so thoroughly.

I do get annoyed/frustrated with activism that comes from a place of ignorance. Like those who think it's cruel to give a dog a job. Most dogs are far happier if they have a job they enjoy. As for 'running free in the fields' that does get my own hackles up a little. Dogs are not wild animals. They need our guidance and intervention to stay safe and healthy. Too many idiots around think it is a good idea to let dogs be 'wild' or let dogs be dogs, and far too many dogs end up injured or worse because of this attitude :(

We've taken on dogs who were turned loose to 'run free in the fields' and frankly it's a cruel thing to do to a dog. Our Lunar was one of these dogs. Was 7 or 8 years old when we got him, I'd bet good money he'd never seen the inside of a house. Once he discovered there were these cozy, climate controlled house things with sofas and fresh water whenever he wanted, he did not want to leave. If he could have spoken for himself and other dogs like him, he would have told that activist to go pound sand LOL

3. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

:eek: That person was a trainer?
    It was bad enough when I thought she was just a misguided owner...makes it worse that it was someone supposedly "training" :(

mrs phas and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yes! :mad::mad:
    The video of it is all over FB. People yelling at her to get off the horse, no one would go near her though because the horse would kick out every time she shocked him :mad::mad: Tore up the chute (metal panels), even the announcer finally told her to knock it off. It was ridiculous, and the horse was an absolute angel to not dump her. He really was trying to figure out what she wanted but he was so flustered and confused he couldn't do anything but freeze and periodically kick out :( :(

5. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah I saw it...I couldn't believe how long it went on for.
    Disgusted that these shock pad contraptions even exist...let alone using one :(

Sorry to take the thread off course...I'll go back under my rock now :p

O2.0 likes this.
  6. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I’ve seen that video. Didn’t realise she was a trainer!! What a horrible person, that poor horse was so well behaved considering. A lot of horses would have dumped her!! In the right hands it would be a lovely horse I’m sure.

O2.0 likes this.
  7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Jesus … I just watched a few seconds of the video :(:mad:

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It’s well known that some trainers use dubious methods on their animals.

In show jumping, rapping - where the pole is lifted just as a horse clears it to get the horse to jump higher next time for fear of getting it’s legs banged.

De nerving so a lame horse has no pain and can carry on competing (obviously short term as it will break down eventually).

Where money is concerned the animal is just a commodity to some.

O2.0, kimthecat and Cleo38 like this.
  9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I know, it really is disgusting what some people will do … I remember years ago reading about soring horses to achieve the high, stepping gait, dropping parrots who were 'aggressive', dogs with shock collars atached to their genitals … the list is endless of what people will do for 'training' :(

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

:( I wonder how often this happens.

A quote from the Daily Mail

However, after two verbal attacks from people claiming to be campaigners against animal cruelty, he has begun to worry about further abuse.

They could be anybody , I wonder if they are affiliated to an organisation.

I dont think you can lump all animals rights campaigners together.

O2.0 and Cleo38 like this.
  11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

And re-reading it the first was someone who questioned the dogs quality of life … "‘He wasn’t particularly hostile, just looking to have a conversation …." & the second was a rude woman sounding off.

So the headline should read … Rude Woman Approaches Man In Café! :D

How many times do we read here of people being given unwanted opinions, being told they are 'cruel' for keeping a dog on a lead or not letting it run riot in a park with other out of control dogs. Really it just sums up people's lack of knowledge & understanding

O2.0, lullabydream and Teddy-dog like this.
  12. mrs phas

i totally agree
    but, and i dont want to appear rude
    the thread was made in regard to, so called, animal activists having a go at blind people, accompanied by assistance dogs
    not questionable and downright cruel training techniques

its well known that PETA are very much against 'slave' animals ( ie animals with jobs) and pets
    yet
    PETA is, alleged to be, the largest destroyer of animals in the USA ( and most of the world where theyre tolerated)
    I also wonder where all these places are where the animals can run free
    the slightest bit of cat or dog poo round here has the poomafia on the warpath

kimthecat likes this.
  13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Threads go off on tangents occasionally ;) …it happens!

The article you linked to exaggerated the story as it was basically one woman in a café being rude to a man with a guide dog … hardly big news

And PETA being the largest 'destroyer of animals' … more than the meat industry? I doubt it

#13 Cleo38, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    O2.0 and lullabydream like this.
  14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I wonder if the people mentioned were even animal activists TBH. Wouldnt be the first time some uninformed member of the public had no idea what a service dog actually was and assumed that they lived their live as a poor sad doggy slave!:rolleyes:

15. mrs phas

We'll it is the daily fail
    So we can only ponder

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice