Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Angry Rattie

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by -Ewhite-, Apr 16, 2019.

1. -Ewhite-

-Ewhite- PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I'm new here but I've been having a problems with my two lovely ratties and I was hoping someone on here might be able to help me!

I have two rat boys (Tony and Peter) both over a year old now and have always lived together happily. Tony was always the more dominant of the two; he'd get the food first, he'd always win the play fights etc. But recently Peter has been standing up to him a bit. The last couple of weeks Tony has been a bit more timid and seemed slightly scared of Peter, I assumed this was just something going on between them and left them to it, but the other day Peter bit Tony, like really bit him. Tony is all healed up so please don't worry, we took him to the vet and they're currently in different cages (which Tony seems very happy about). I thought I'd leave them in separate cages for a while and reintroduce them back soon, but Peter has started getting aggressive to me now. Peter has never ever bitten before, he was the sweetest most cuddly rat and now if he's out of the cage playing he will literally make a beeline for me and bite. I've read about how bad rat bites can be so he's definitely not biting as hard as he could, but it's been deep enough to draw blood, and it's happened a couple of days in a row. I really don't understand why he's biting, or what to do about it! Also when he is about to bite he makes this sound which sounds like quick exhaling out of his nose. Please help! Thank you

CharlyGwen likes this.
  2. CharlyGwen

CharlyGwen PetForums Newbie

I'm sorry, it's so sad when your rat suddenly changes and just starts biting for no reason. It sounds a little like the situation my partner and I have with our two boys. But our dominant rat, Dobby, though always being a little on the wild side, never used to bite us until something changed and for over a month now, given the chance, he'll bite us for no reason.
    Unfortunately the only information I can seem to find about unexplained aggression in male rats is testosterone and even though we were very much against unnecessary surgery at first, it's starting to look like the last resort. We've tried everything from handling him more to petting him while he eats to squeaking loudly when he bites. Nothing seems to be working so I think we'll have to get him castrated unfortunately. I really hope you find something that works for Peter cause it's so hard when all you want to do is give them love and they see you as a threat :(

3. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

My boys lived together fine until 9 months old and oddly preferred to live 'seperately'. Wasn't something I wanted to do and tried really hard to make it work but when it ends in blood and toes, parts of ears missing I think it was time to call it quits.

I wasn't in a position financially to have them castrated as my vet charged £100 per rat and my 'father' wouldn't allow me to go compare prices with another practice :/

Please note I was in my last year's of secondary school and he told me they belonged to me therefore I was responsible and had to pay everything.

I instead got a piece of thick perspex and cut it to the shape of the cage splitting it vertically. One on each side. They can still see and smell each other. They had separate bowls and I made some DIY shelves and hammocks. It was far from ideal but they lived happily like this for the rest of their lives. Damon lived til 2 yrs and Niklaus lived til 3 :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice