Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anesthetic effects ??

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by louise birks, Aug 14, 2019.

1. louise birks

louise birks PetForums Junior

My Pebbles has been having a tricky time. She has a liver or gall bladder problem. The vet hospital had to sedate her to take biopsy samples to see if they could see what is wrong. They said she might be drowsy afterwards. I would say the opposite. Apart from eating loads ( which didn't surprise me after she was starved for 20 hrs) she seemed unable to settle tonight. She wouldn't curl up, just sitting a bit sphinx/loaf position. Keeps getting up going outside for 5 mins then back in, eat more food, sit back down. She smells of antiseptic where I think they have shaven her and taken biopsy samples. Could the smell be unsettling her as cats sense of smell is much stronger than humans. She is putting and rubbing her head on my hand for petting.
    It's been a really long day and I didn't want to come to bed and leave her.
    I will see if she looks settled in the morning.

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

It could very well be the smell of the anaesthetic that is unsettling her - she doesn't smell like herself. Have you got a blanket that she uses regularly that you could gently rub over her ? That might help to get rid of the alien smell.

When any of mine have had to have an anaesthetic they've usually bounced back to their normal selves within 24 hours.

Soozi and chillminx like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Oddly I have found that sedation has a longer lasting effect on Meeko than an anaesthetic has.
    After an anaesthetic (and he has had a few) he is usually pretty much okay within a few hours but the last time he had a sedation it took much longer for him to start to feel "normal".
    Hopefully Pebbles is feeling better now.

Soozi and chillminx like this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Restlessness is very common after general anesthesia. She's probably feeling a lot better by this morning?

Soozi and Ottery like this.
  5. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

My cats sometimes have a similar reaction. They won't lie down and sleep peacefully, they sit staring into space. If I try to settle them, they just sit up again. It only usually lasts for that day, by next morning they are fine, hope that applies to your cat too.

I always assumed it was due to the vetergesic they give them (an opiate based pain killer), but it could be the anaesthetic itself. One of mine seemed to have 'hallucinations' - not quite the right word, but he misinterpreted what he saw. I was in the bedroom with him and there was a floor length mirror opposite. He kept going towards it and gazing into it, because he thought there was 'another cat' in the room. I had to put a blanket over the mirror, then he was happy!

lorilu likes this.
  6. louise birks

Thanks, yes she a lot better today. She is a bit restless tho. She insists on going out in all this rain. She has a bed in the shed and she seems to happy in there. She is very much an outdoor cat.

7. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Glad to hear that.
    One of mine was asleep in the shed earlier. I suppose to them there is no difference between shed and house - either way, they're dry!

8. louise birks

Loads better again today. She has had a difficult couple of weeks. NO MORE vets. I have had enough now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice