Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

And the search continues....

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by princessx87, Aug 1, 2009.

1. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

I have a nearly 3 year old staffy.
    Most of you already know his history. But after getting him at 12 weeks, we had no choice but to take him to a behaviorist.
    For all the time he was hitting 2 and 3 no problems Until......

We was going for our normal walk on a dark-ish evening and he got into a dog fight.
    Now there wasn't nasty injuries, but more mental one's for him and me!

Now when ever he is out he's always on a lead, but i have noticed in the last 12 weeks that he's behaviour towards everything has changed for the worse!

Here is a basic look at what has changed about him:-

Nipping when excited,
    Barking alot,
    Full speed running around the house, Tripping people over on the stairs,
    Aggression towards men, women, children! :-o
    Hates other dogs, so much so he WILL get into fight mode, before a dog comes towards him.

I even have total problems now taking him for a walk anywhere, in case he see's another dog on or off a lead, As he gets in this total blur, and just wants to attack.

I have spoken to a few other members on PF about this and was given great advice, But the issues are continuing every day its something new.
    Its got to the point now where i am feeling guilty as when he had his fight in the park i keep him in for a few days, and i also feel my worry is making him worse when i see another dog.

I have been looking for a good behaviourist now for a few weeks, to help me and him, but most are charging alot i mean 35 an hour, My old trainer now has moved and does not cover my area.

I am at a total loss, I only ever used to pay 6ph, and he loved attening classes..!
    Someone please help, what would you pay...!!

2. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

So sorry to hear you having problems. I suppose at the end of the day we pay what we can afford, in these times we dont always have as much as we like. Have you phoned the one you used and asked her? I do hope you can get things back to normal again, i can tell you love your dog loads, im sure you will find a way through this.

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Do you have any experienced doggy friends that could help out?

When something like this happens, quite often it is the humans who take longer to get over it. Inadvertandely (wrong spelling, sorry) we make it worse because we tense when we see a dog.

It would be interesting to see whether the dog displays the same behaviour when he is with another handler x

4. princessx87

No nobody that could help out.
    My last trainer has moved 60 miles away and she said she only knew of 3 other's but they had bad rep.

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

You definitely do need some help. I think you are going to have the just pay the cost. 35.00GBP per hour seems about right.

If you weren't so far away, I would offer to help. Unless you can get to South London? x

6. princessx87

Lol funny that, as i currently just moved from south london around 2 years ago lol.

I will keep searching for the right person. He is a great dog and i'm not willing you let him go down hill after everything he has been through the last 3 years of the horrid start of his life!!!!

7. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

You have the right attitude, which is the main thing. I have 2 street dogs from Greece. When I first got them, they had so many problems. The worst one being dog aggression. Now a year and a half later and I have them both off the lead (seperately) and able to be around other dogs. I have worked with a behaviourist, but I never thought I would get to this point. So keep this in mind when things get really bad x

One thing that helped me initially was muzzling Max ( he was the worst out of the two), that way he was able to be around other dogs and people and I did not worry. I think that because I was more relaxed, this enabled us to move a lot quicker. I only remember using the muzzle out walking for a week or two. Anything that makes you feel more confident is good x

8. Dundee

Dundee Banned

To be honest, a proper behaviourst around here would cost a lot more than £35 per hour (more like twice that, although it will vary depending on area) - were they a trainer who called themselves a behaviourist or a behaviourist? Most behaviourists will only see someone after a referral (or check up) with your vet.

Do you have insurance as many will cover the cost of a behaviourist?

Where abouts are you? If you can give us some idea of your location, perhaps someone will know someone.

It does sound like you need some help as this behaviour is likely to escalate.

9. rona

rona Guest

If it is getting that bad, have you ruled out medical reasons?

10. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I was thinking the same my mums dog went like yours she had tests at the vets and it turned out she had Cushings Disease, maybe if you had a chat with your vet there may be an underlying heath issue,

11. princessx87

Hi all thanks for the advice.
    Not been able to get online all weekend. :-(...

Ok, I have taking him to the vets.
    Heres a little history on my boy..!

We got him from some evil people that couldn't sell him, so they decided to burn him, kick, punch, slap instead.
    After we got him he needed alot of work, I mean alot, he would attack everyone as he was so frightened of people hurting him again.., and after 12 months we got him on track.

A few months back i was walking him as usual and a dog run at him and they had a fight on the local field, Since this i think i made him worse as i was panicing all the time it came to taking him out, leaving it about 4 weeks after the attack.

Its mean that also needs to be re-trained, i think.

The vet has ruled out any problems.

I have found someone willing to help, i just dont know if i like some of the items, training, she use's?? !!

12. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

What items does she use that you don't like?

TBH, it would be pointless and irresponsible to try to advise on these sorts of problems over the net.

I understand you don't want to pay too much but you HAVE to find a decent behaviourist to help you. You need someone who uses humane, positive methods and who does NOT go on about "dominance".

Have you looked into recouping the cost of a behaviourist from your insurance?

13. princessx87

I have looked online as i have asked my vets and there is 4 months waiting list.

They have given me information to look at before going with someone.
    My insurance will not cover anything like this, it only covers the basic costs.
    I have copied and pasted her information she sent me via email.

She has good reveiws on her website. But i understand this means nothing, when it comes to different dogs.

"I tend to use words rather than a tap as this causes the dog to be aggressive.
    I use treats to reward him when he has done something right and force (i.e Pulling on lead) to correct his mistakes
    The meetings are usually once a week (this is your dog, yourself and myself)
    The training of the dog I tend to let the owner deside. I prefer up to every 2 days.
    My partner will tend to hold your dog whilst I call him and they will both run to me together to start with till your dog learns to come back on demand.

I tend to train the dog at a different location so he is not familier with the surroundings so he will pay more attention.
    We tend to take the dog in the car too if possible.

I actually am used to dogs especially staffys' bites and therefore am quick in telling the dog I do not like it.

A nip when you come home shows you he missed you and also can be a sign of disrespect."

"I tend to meet his match!
    If he tries to go for another dog Its a simple 'no' corerct his mistake and go off in another direction.
    Tor...My lovely Collie x Staff who is already 12 years old and quite honestly couldn't care less if a dog barked at him would be perfect. Your dog will slowly loose interest. thsi is stage one in the training program.
    I am quite strong, even though I do not look it I am, I can hold a fully grown great dane on the spot.

With any staffie they always want to be the bigger dog (due to having such big balls and such a small body) It is mainly to do with trying to keep you as his owner safe, warning other dogs not to come closer to you.

The best way for me to see if this is pure aggression or if he is just being protective is for mke to meet wilson and to walk him for two minutes.

This will be the ultimate test for him...will he let me put a lead on him.

With children it is the same....they are interesting but may scare him that may be it..."

Maybe someone can tell me if she is right in whats she's dog and i am not just over-reacting.

14. Oblada

Oblada Guest

I dont think anybody can judge like that - its up to you to meet her in person and decide for yourself.

I for one judge person on the way they present themselves; so if indeed you copied and pasted with all the spelling/grammar mistakes, for me its a put-off - a very personal judgement maybe ;)

I don't necessarily agree with some of the stuff she says about SBT but it really depends on her actual approach.
    She seems to take on board some elements based on leadership and dominance and I for one do not think that is a problem at all quite the contrary. But it depends on how it is applied.
    She seems to work on rewards and correction and again for me thats good.
    She also seems to have the perfect dog to help rehabilitate your dog (a calm and balanced dog) so to me thats a great point.

Its up to you to meet her and see if you feel comfortable with her methods and understand her train of thoughts and then take it from there!

Good luck
    xx

15. Frenchie

Frenchie Banned

Who is your insurer? They may have another option for you to upgrade to that covers what you need??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice