Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

And so the breed research begins...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pappychi, May 16, 2017.

1. Pappychi

Pappychi PetForums VIP

The house is too quiet and everyone is coming to terms with losing a dog so young. For the first time in my parents 30 year marriage they are dogless and no one can seem to slot into this new dogless lifestyle.

So, my parents have begun to research their next breed. Now, they've always had dogs 'fall into their laps' almost from private rehomes (like Bear) to a set of bizarre circumstances which resulted in a Springer Spaniel who apparently had a penchant for chewing the heels off of only the left shoe :Hilarious

They're experienced dogs owners but have never owned a dog from a responsible and ethical breeder. Obviously, Bear was very intense, essentially he was like a course in micromanagement and whilst he wasn't dog aggressive he was very suspicious of strangers. At home, this suspicious nature intensified to the point he would have to be kennelled in order to prevent him from becoming overly protective.

Now, the guardian nature they didn't mind but the intensity of it is something they are trying to avoid again. They aren't planning on adding an addition till possibly the end of next year but temperament is so important this time around that they want to find the best breeder for them.

Breeds they are currently looking are Tibetan Mastiffs (current favourites), Pyrenean Mountain Dogs and Estrela Mountain Dogs.

So, if anyone has any personal experiences/contacts/advice/recommendations/cake (I'm serious about the cake, I'm on a diet and I'm seriously contemplating chewing the carpets) please throw them at this thread.

:)

MiffyMoo, Katalyst, Firedog and 2 others like this.
  2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I'll send you cake...because seriously you don't need the diet!

MiffyMoo, Katalyst and Pappychi like this.
  3. Pappychi

Pappychi PetForums VIP

Ta very much :p

Can I interest you in a dry cracker with some low-fat cheese spread and a cucumber? :Hilarious

MiffyMoo, Katalyst, Firedog and 2 others like this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Lovely...your doing sensible eating...not just dust and water then.

Very good!

Pappychi and Meezey like this.
  5. Pappychi

Pappychi PetForums VIP

I couldn't do dust and water. I'd get hangry and become a danger to society.

Hell hath no fury like me when I'm slightly inconvenienced and hungry :Hilarious

Aahlly, MiffyMoo, AlexPed2393 and 5 others like this.
  6. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

I know nothing about any of those breeds, but I'm pleased to read that your home won't be dogless for too much longer.

Also, I have a WICKED recipe for a chocolate mug cake if ever you want it. It has a scoop of choccy spread/Nutella in the middle that goes all melty...

...I am a useless diet supporter. I'm all about the cake :oops:

Katalyst, lullabydream and Pappychi like this.
  7. Pappychi

Pappychi PetForums VIP

You're a cake enabler! A Cake-abler.

Me too. I live next door to my parents so whilst I have my own dog on the way it's not their dog.

Kimmikins and Katalyst like this.
  8. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I've no knowledge on any of the breeds but I got enticed into the thread by all the talk about cake. Oh please share the recipe @Kimmikins, I need chocolate mug cake in my life :Drool

@Pappychi, would it be rude of me to ask your parents to get a Maremma so I can watch it grow up? I'm really taken with them but have no desire to own one myself. So since they're already looking at LGD's... :D

Pappychi, Kimmikins, Katalyst and 3 others like this.
  9. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Ooh please also let me in on the cake recipe - @Kimmikins it sounds amazing!

Afraid I can't offer anything constructive about the breeds, but I have at various times considered Pyrenean and Estrela mountain dogs, though not seriously enough to really find out a great deal about them. Hope someone comes along soon with something useful.

Pappychi and Kimmikins like this.
  10. Tyton

Tyton PetForums VIP

Love this idea, but I already have plans to farm Samuel out to them for 'research' purposes... for the next 2 years until he grows up and stops being a stroppy teenage 'Kevin'! :)

11. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

You can keep the cake, I'd rather have the Tibetan Mastiff! I know 2, a brother and sister but different owners. Lovely dogs but much too large and strong for me.

I love guardian breeds but now that I'm older prefer the more moderate, smaller sized ones. My Shar-Pei fits the bill perfectly.

Pappychi, Katalyst and MiffyMoo like this.
  12. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Why are you punishing her?

Pappychi and Katalyst like this.
  13. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Looked after a pyrenean mountain dog puppy for a day and it was the most fun I've had in a long time. It was about 6 months old, size of a golden and just a ball of energy.

This family also had two adults that were lovely but one is well known for wandering off and had 0 recall, climbing over things, being general houdini's. One is known in the area as it got a taxi back to the house all by itself about 11 miles from home o_O.

Apart from being escape artists and intimidating to the postman the 2 adults were really nice, the puppy well.... he was just a giant puppy

14. Nagini

Nagini PetForums Senior

a lady i work with has a tibetan, he's a very beautiful dog....but his temperament leaves a lot to be desired with people and other dogs he doesn't know. not sure whether it's just him on his own, or whether all tibetans are like this.

15. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I know nothing about those breeds but if your parents like big hairy loonies how about a Leonberger great dogs

16. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

Can I interest you in a 3 month old bitey cockapoo with no recall ;). I'm just joking I love her. I'm also on a diet so we can suffer together.

AlexPed2393 likes this.
  17. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Here’s the link on Pinterest, I hope it works! http://pin.it/sEmESCu

Here’s the actual recipe, in case my linking skills suck:

INGREDIENTS
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (32g in UK money)
    • 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    • 2 tablespoon granulated sugar (you can add 1 tbsp. more if you like it a bit sweeter)
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. milk (75ml, or 5 tbsp)
    • 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 1 tablespoon hazelnut chocolate spread
    • In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
    • Whisk in the milk and vegetable oil until all ingredients are combined and batter has no clumps.
    • Pour batter into a microwave-safe mug. Mine was a 14-ounce mug. You want enough head space for the cake to rise without pouring over.
    • Add 1 tbsp. of hazelnut chocolate spread in the middle of the batter. Just drop it in the middle, no need to push it down and sink it in the batter.
    • Place a paper towel into the microwave and set the mug on top (this is to catch any batter if your mug cake overflows).
    • Microwave mug cake for 70 seconds on high
    • Carefully remove from microwave and enjoy!

The timing in the microwave might need to be adjusted - I have a 900w microwave and 70 seconds was about right.
    Edited to tag @snickypoo for a cake fix!

#17 Kimmikins, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  18. snickypoo

snickypoo PetForums VIP

Gimme gimme! :Hungry Man, I lurrrrrrve da cake! :Hungry:D

Pappychi and Kimmikins like this.
  19. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Not quite a giant, but the Briard is a lovely large dog.

20. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

How did you get on with the girl I messaged you details of? :)

And can we stop talking about diets & cakes please?! I well & truly buggered my diet up yesterday and I'm feeling guilty today :(

Pappychi and MiffyMoo like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice