Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

And now comes number 7!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trackerbob, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Trackerbob

Trackerbob PetForums Junior

About 8 weeks ago I began fostering a georgeous white GSD, as her owner died and she had nowhere to go :(

She's absoutely brilliant, 10 years old and full of love. She gets on brilliantly with the others and has been brilliantly trained. Unfortunately her owner was disabled (lovely chap, died at the age of 55 RIP) and paid dog walkers a few times a week, although she was obese when we took her on.

In the time we've had her she has lost 10 kilos, and is having a new lease of life, enjoying the company of other dogs for the first time in her life. :D

We've made the decision to keep her now, as she is far too settled to let go, the others have really accepted her into the pack, which is an honour for any dog in their book! :rolleyes:

Being used to breeds that are constantly looking to exploit any weakness it is pleasant to have a dog that only wants to make everyone happy!

When I upload some pictures of Chester (and yes she is a girl... don't ask) I'll post them!

7 dogs... we must be mad! :eek:

babycham2002 likes this.
  2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Ooooooh you want to stay clear of white gsds they are trouble;), regarding the pics, we arent a patient bunch:D. Well done for adopting her.

3. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Good on you for giving Chester a forever home :D

4. Trackerbob

The change in her has really amazed me.

I sort of think it's fate, as we were half-considering the idea of Breeding Koda (very briefly) and then decided that:

a. we love her too much to risk her
    b. 50% would end up being abandoned/unwanted
    c. we've done so much rescuing & rehoming we felt we'd be undoing what we had achieved

No sooner had we had this discussion and the phone rang with the former owner's carer on the phone!

She was in danger of being PTS before we had her due to bad arthritis (aggravated by obesity) and her vet can't believe the improvement in her health.

I think she ultimately made the decision to stay for us, as when we had a few dog-owners we know come to see her (with a view to adopting) she just sulked! As soon as they went she carried on playing in the garden with the dogs & goats like nothing had happened!

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Thats lovely to hear that she has a loving happy doggy home where she can lose weight and be with you.
    Cant wait to see piccies.

Oh and I did smile at the dog that just wants to please comment. :001_smile: I can imagine exactly what you mean

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Aww sounds like she has fallen on her paws with you :)
    You're right it would be a shame to unsettle her, sounds like she fitted in like she had always been there :)

7. Trackerbob

I think her owner might have had a hand in it...

Before eyebrows are raised, my OH and I are both about as down to earth as you can get, and there's always a rational explaination in our books!

But see what you think of this:

When I went to pick Chester up she was sat with her previous owners body (had been dead a few hours) but would not let anyone near it. As soon as I arrived she came cantering up & jumped straight in the car.

Over the weeks where we were 'fostering' her there were some strange goings on in the house- ornaments being moved at night (no dogs in the room overnight,) lights rocking without being pushed, mobile phones vibrating for no reason, all of the dogs jumping up and barking at the same spot for no reason & tapping noises on the wall. :confused:

Since we decided to keep her there hasn't been a single thing happen!

Spooky? We certainly thought so!

8. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

oh my that gave me shivers
    Previous owner knew you were the ones

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice