Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

and advice would be great

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by shelleyanne, Jun 29, 2009.

1. shelleyanne

shelleyanne PetForums Newbie

hi guys, Im new :D

How are you all? :eek:

anyway, I have a cat problem and hope someone here can help ^.^

I have a cat who is about 9 years old. We moved to a new home about a yr and a half ago. In my old place he was an indoor cat. We lived in a flat and he never wanted to go out anyway.
    Now we live in a house with a nice big garden. So i started putting him outside.
    Now i never see him :confused:

He comes for his dinner, but wont come into the house. I caught him the other day and brought him in but he just hid in a corner scared and then ran out as soon as the front door was opened.

I miss my kitty and our cuddles.

Any idea how i can train him to be happy inside the house aswell as outside?

thanks in advance ;)

2. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Aww thats a shame..:( how long did you keep him in for when you moved to your new home?....he may be scared and used to his old home..i would bring him in for a month untill you get him back again...sorry i dont have the answers..:( i know i dont let my cat out all night and she still cuddly girl..
    Is he Neuterd?

3. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome,,,,how long ago did you move? and did you keep him in for a bit? normally its best to keep cats indoors when you have moved for about 3/4 weeks until they are used to their surroundings inside and have put their scent on stuff..thats what I did when we moved earlier this year, it took a good few months for him to be completely at ease....he may just be a bit scared from being an indoor cat to moving to a new home and going outside,,, I would try and keep him in for a bit until he settles - good luck xx:) oh and plus if he hasnt been neuteured he will be off looking for the ladies ;)so will go out roaming - if he is gonna be outdoors he needs to be neutered xx:)

4. shelleyanne

Heya Suzy and Scosha,

Ive lived here now for about 1 yr and 8 months.
    When we first moved in, he was worried and lived under the stairs mostly for about a month :p
    The cat tray was put near him. And he was fed by the stairs too.

He started coming out more and more. Then the weather started getting warm so I'd keep the back door open, Scampy (my other cat) started going out (who was an indoor cat too) any Locky (the cat in question) seemed very curious.
    So I started encouraging him to go out too. In the Evening I'd call them both, Scampy came back but Locky doesn’t. Scamps come in at night, Locky won't. I see Scamps all the time. Locky peeps out from a bush at the back of the garden.

Don't want to play favouritism here lol but Scamps as soft as he is isn’t very affectionate.

I just don't know what to do.
    Just miss him, plus I don’t see him to check he's well. Make sure he has no infections.

5. shelleyanne

oh btw, yes he is neuteured.
    I got him from the cats protection league. They neuter all the cats I think.

6. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

hi
    Well dont really know then....maybe he has found anther home to rest and comes back for dinner,,,some cats are a bit like that;) Hope you manage to get him back to his cuddly self:)

7. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

What if you tried to gain back his confidence and friendship in the garden where he is happiest. If you spend time out there, try and tempt him to come nearer to you with a game with a rod toy, like a Da Bird or an irresistable treat, thrives or ham or something he loves. If you can get him to come near to you outside (without making eye contact with him) and to allow you to stroke and make a fuss of him out there, then gradually move the whole process to nearer and nearer the house. Until he is happy to wander into the kitchen for a game or a treat. Could take ages though, you would have to do everything at his pace.

8. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

So you been there a while then ooh i dont know then.. but i would try what Saikou says...xxx

Good Advise...;)

9. shelleyanne

thats good advice :)
    thanks a lot :)

thanks to everyone, he is a bit of a stubborn kitty :p

10. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

try getting a feliway plugin, keep him in for 3/4 weeks with the plugin in the room. let him get on with it for a week, the 2nd week start seeking his attention if he hasn't already started seeking yours, don't push him but gradually get him used to you and take it from there.

11. an4rew

an4rew PetForums Newbie

My cat spends all day outside lying in my garden... sometimes he ventures off to go to the toilet or have a little noisy.

As long as your feeding the cat well and at specific times so he knows your routine then he will most likely stay nearby.

They don't like rain and also at night it gets cooler so he comes inside.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice