Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ancol kitten collar nightmare...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lunabuma, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Lunabuma

Lunabuma Owned by two Orientals

Hello,

I just need to share my awful experience this morning. I put new collars on the kittens yesterday evening. They seem to be used to them within an hour or two and so nothing of it when we went to bed.

Got up this morning and opened the door to the living room to find Ziggy with his paws, reddish with blood. I then noticed the little booger had managed to get the collar over his bottom jaw. :( I think it must have been like that all night, looking at the varying colour of the patches of blood smeared on the floor. :(

He was ok and immediately started purring, even when I was cleaning him up + begged for and ate his breakfast, but his poor little mouth is swollen on both sides.

I don't understand why the collar did that, it wasn't too loose when I put it on. The safety catch hadn't come open??? I used minimal force to open it but it must have been just a bit much for poor Ziggy.

I don't think I'll bother with a collar now I've had this experience. I officially have collar fear. Needless to say I feel awful!

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Poor little love. I don't like collars on cats, never have, but I have heard people declare that a cat must be a stray because it doesn't have a collar on. A lot of people don't even leave collars on dogs, never mind cats.

I hope he feels better soon.

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I still have this problem with Meeko my Ragdoll and he is nearly 2 years old.He's an indoor cat and I dont intend for him to wear a collar as i dont like them,but,I would like him to accept one incase he ever needs to wear a surgical collar.He can ,somehow still get the collar over his bottom jaw.No collar IMO is ever truly safe and on kittens the "safety catch" will not release unless there is a fair bit of weight in the kitten wearing it.
    Hope your kitten is feeling okay,poor little soul :(

4. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

Sadly i have heard of this happening,with cats getting collars stuck over their mouth, i do hope he is ok, im guessing your more shook up than him, he has probably forgotten about it now.:)

5. Lunabuma

@ colliemerles Thanks, he seems to be ok all considering. I'll take him to the vets if the swelling hasn't gone down by tomorrow evening.

@ newfiesmum - Its a pain because that's how I feel. I don't want to let them out in the summer and someone think that they aren't owned.

@ buffie - ah, not just Ziggy who is able to do it then. I suppose if I ever try a collar on them again, I won't be leaving it on over night. Both kittens are very petite at the moment, I might try again when they are adult size.

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

All of my cats wear collars and always have done. In my experience, this 'getting the collar in the mouth' is a manoeuvre they try when they first get the collars put on and they try to get out of it. For this reason I start the kittens off with short bursts of collar wearing, always removing it overnight or if I go out. Only after a week or so when they are wearing the collar without protest do the collars stay on all the time and I have NEVER see the cat try to do this to the collar after this gradual process.

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

PP's Meeko is a big lad and still does it with ease,whether the collar is slack or fairly tight I have never got past 30 seconds before his jaw is trapped.Now that I am aware that he can do this I would never leave him with a collar on.

8. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ahh, but Meeko is not your average cat is he Buffie? :D:p:eek:
    The point I was making was that it is not so much the size of the cat, rather more whether they have accepted the collar and have stopped worrying at it.

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

That is so very true :rolleyes: .He is too smart for his own good ;)

10. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

Not one of my 8 cats has a collar, not because I had a scare, but because I hear and see these horrible pictures ... all my cats are microchipped, but it still is a bit of a fact that cats without collars aren't owned so assumed a stray ... mind you everybody locally knows about me and my cats ... I work as a shop assistant, and I am laughingly called the "lady with the cats" ... who takes her cats for a walk with her dog, as they follow me everywhere ... I have four white and black cats, and four black and white cats!

11. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

All of the MTB's have collars even though 2 are strictly indoor and 2 are part-time outdoors.

The innies have them in case they should ever escape because not everyone either knows, or can be bothered, to have cats scanned for microchips if they are lost and then found.

We have a member whose cat DID have a collar saying "I am micro-chipped" on it but no ID tag or barrel. The family who found the cat, after it escaped from a pet-sitter, did not have the means to get the cat to a vet to be scanned and both the CPL & RSPCA refused to send out a mobile facility to have the cat checked out. It was by SHEER LUCK that the member found her baby.

When I read of this, I was adamant that all my babies would have collars with ID barrels on them.

What age are your babies? Maybe they're just a smidge too young to have a collar yet. I personally wouldn't put a collar on any kitten less than 18-20 weeks.

#11 MoggyBaby, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  12. marleyboo

marleyboo PetForums Senior

aww poor kitty, sounds as if it upset you more than him :) im sure hell be fine.

i didnt like colars on cats , a friend of the family had one on her young cat and she got stuck on a fence and hung herself :(

i put one on marley when we moved to a new house,(there is an ad that somebody lost their cat in the next town and he looks just like marley :sosp:) i was worried somebody would take her... so i popped her collar on but very loose as i was so worried

well she came in later that day with no collar :ihih::prrr: so she now goes *au naturale!*

13. Lunabuma

My kitties are getting on for 6 months old. Normal size cats still seem like giants to me?! I'll definitely try them again but get them used to it as per paddypaws's advice.

You are right about me being upset... They are both feeling the benefit of my guilt and have had freshly cooked chicken mixed with rice for their supper!

His mouth is still as swollen as it was this morning though so keeping an eye on.

14. notsure

notsure PetForums Senior

I'm currently considering the whole collar/no-collar issue for my two.

They are strictly indoor only cats, however in the event that they get out it would be far easier for someone to check their collar for my contact details then having to take them to a vet for scanning (not that they are chipped yet - that gets done in 3-4 weeks along with their snippage).

I've been reluctant to put collars on them thus far, especially with all the stories on here about issues with collars, but now they are both over 3kg (Odin is 3.8, Oslo 3.1) I'm thinking they probably now have the strength & body weight for the collars to come undone if needed, so I'm rethinking the issue.

If I do decide collars are the way to go, I'll definitely be following paddypaws idea of getting them used to them in short bursts before going full time.

15. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Collars can be killers.
    90% of our cats will be ok with them, but I have had a cat got her paw stuck in a collar that was too tight even for her to get her jaw stuck in it.
    But she got herself locked in somewhere, and even though it was a sliding collar that was cut so short it should have opened at the slightest pull, she managed to get it caught on something and stretch it instead. Stretching it so far she got her paw stuck through.
    Being locked in some shed for weeks, it got time to cut into the skin and fester.

I have known cats to get their jaws stuck, I have known cats to get their paws stuck in (there was a thread on this forum of that happening during a stay in a cattery just the other day), I have known of cats hanging themselve on collars......

Collars are not major killers, but it can and does happen.
    Tosca's wound was so bad it wouldn't heal, and but for a skin transplant, I would have had to have her pts.

So my advice is: if there is no really utterly urgent need to use a collar: DON'T!!!!!!!

And if you want a collar for identification, use a paper one

#15 Jiskefet, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  16. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

well, i tried collars - ancol quick release ...and they went through 5 between them...in 2 months - they had no problem with release!!!
    ...both chipped...so i quit

then one went ( and still is) missing

so gali & from this week, newton ( he's 7 months so not 'allowed' out - but bursts out the door for 10 mins when i come back from work) :mad:

wear collars with engraved tags - their name & my number

i got them on ebay - postage discount means there are spares
    (newton has taken his off twice in a week)

17. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

this happened to my sisters cat, people assumed he was a stray and brought him in their house he was missing for two weeks then came home with a collar and new name!! since then my sister got him a collar with her number on, cause he goes through the other cat flaps to steal food and get some loving so everyone wants to keep the little blob :)

18. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

my kittens have never onced tried to take their collars off, they got used to them very easily but they have their names and my number engraved on, incase they ever get out the house, however im now rethinking them as shadows fur under his collar is slowly disappearing hes started to look bald there, so ive taken both of the collars off for now, they look so cute and natural without them on, but also kinda naked lol,

19. Lunabuma

Thanks all for the advice. His mouth is much better today and he is his usual noisy self.

I'm not letting either of them out for the first time until the Summer so will wait until then to make a decision whether to collar or not to collar.

20. oggers86

oggers86 PetForums VIP

Both of mine have breakway collars from PAH. Elsa's collar has never come off or gone missing..Elises has a few times, one time right in front of me, no idea how that happened. It looks like these dont need a lot of force (they cant if one just falls off without her doing anything plus I tested it myself) so I am happy for my 2 to be wearing them.

Normal collars though I can understand the concerns.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice