Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anal sac abscess

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Callidora, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

Hi everyone,

some of you might recall me posting about our kitten Gatsbys constipation saga that came out of nowhere a few weeks ago. She’s had a couple of enemas even after being on 2x2ml lactulose daily. Yesterday she had an X-ray under sedation to see if there was a visible cause, none was found so she was put on 0.3ml cisapride to see if it helps to move things along.
    Last night she started licking her bum constantly, and when I had a look I could see a light brownish/yellow liquid oozing from somewhere near her bum. Obviously I assumed it was something to do with her anal sacs.
    Back to the vets today and yes, she has an abscess. The vet was able to express one sac but the other was causing her too much pain so she’s been given a weeks course of antibiotics to help clear it up.

I have two questions, first, is it normal to send you away with antibiotics and leave an abscess still there (everything you read online states it needs draining straightaway)
    And secondly, could constipation itself have caused this or is it perhaps more likely that this has been brewing for a while and the anal sacs have actually caused the constipation by making it too painful to go (I know nobody can give me a definitive answer for this, I’m just wondering what opinions are-because I’m hoping once the abscess is cleared then so too will the constipation)

I have to add, I first noticed some yellowish streaks on throws round the house a few weeks ago, but as they didn’t really smell I just threw them in the wash and thought nothing of it, now I’m thinking this could have been the start. There’s been no other signs or symptoms.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

as it was too painful to express one of the glands the choice is antibiotics or a quick anaesthetic. I'd go with antibiotics as plan a.

I wouldn't like to say which was the cause. If stools are too hard or soft they don't empty the glands properly, but if one gland became painful I can see how that could cause constipation

3. Callidora

Thanks @OrientalSlave, I was a bit unnerved bringing her home when there’s an active abscess, but I also really don’t want her gong under sedation again a mere 24 hours after the last one. I’d rather keep that as a last resort. I honestly can’t recall if I saw the streaks first or I noticed the constipation first, either way my poor girl hasn’t half been through it recently!

4. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

A warm compress if she will allow will help her anal glands snd the abscess.

Poor kitty she has been through the mill.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  5. Callidora

@lillytheunicorn thanks for the tip! I’ll give that a try later. She hasn’t shown any signs of discomfort at all (which is odd) but if I try to examine the area she does squeak at me

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice