UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still having problems with cassie's anal glands. She has been to the vets on numerous occasions who empties them (on a monthly basis). She has tried her on steroids and stat dose of antibiotics but cassie still drags her bottom along the floor most days. Its not cheap going to the vets and surely its not normal to have to have them emptied so often?:confused:I am wanting to change my pet insurance but not untilo i'm sure she is not going to have a problem which may result in an operation

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sometimes no amount of change of diet will help sadly. I have to empty one of my dogs glands every 4 weeks or so but her glands are positioned wrongly so will never empty on their own. Could this be the case with you dog perhaps!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes no amount of change of diet will help sadly. I have to empty one of my dogs glands every 4 weeks or so but her glands are positioned wrongly so will never empty on their own. Could this be the case with you dog perhaps!!
might be although vet never suggested it. with cassie she can have them emptied one day and drag her bottom along the floor on the way home.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ask your vet to teach you how to do it, it'll deff save you the charge at least!
cassie hates having it done and on route to the vets she lies down and refuses to move:scared: or tries to turn the other way. I don't want her to be frightened of me by my doing it plus, although i am a nurse, i dont really like the idea of doing it:eek6:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Both my CKCS had to have them removed as they had so many problems and emptying them too often causes them to become sore and inflamed so making the problem worse.
Its the best thing I could have ever done for them and just wish I had done it sooner.

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
Both my CKCS had to have them removed as they had so many problems and emptying them too often causes them to become sore and inflamed so making the problem worse.
Its the best thing I could have ever done for them and just wish I had done it sooner.
funnily enough my mothers dog was cavalier and was called Cassie and she had to have hers removed after a nasty abcess.
It really isnt hard to empty them, would be a lot less stressful on Cassie and your wallet to do it at home. As a nurse you shouldnt have any problems.

Gigona, I dont think you have the right technique. The anal glands are situated on either side of the anus, slightly below. You should be able to feel them if they are needing emptying. Put pressure on both sides using finger and thumb and with a milking action express them upwards so that they empty out. If you are not sure get your vet or local groomer to show you how to do it. And dont put your face close to see what you are doing :lol:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
cassie hates having it done and on route to the vets she lies down and refuses to move:scared: or tries to turn the other way. I don't want her to be frightened of me by my doing it plus, although i am a nurse, i dont really like the idea of doing it:eek6:
Oh bless!! Someone has mentioned having them removed, perhaps that's something you should look into especially as she needs them emptied so often :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have the same problems with maisie, she goes monthly to the vets for emptying. I worked in a vets for 2 years as a nurse assistant and I still can't to them myself, I do lots of my friends dogs anal glands for them but maisie's are so far back it's so hard for me to do them myself without hurting her! She had a very nasty abcess last year and I am in talks with my vet about having them removed but he's saying it's an unnessary op :confused1: she's covered by insurance so I'm tempeted to push the vet again for the op

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.