Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anal Glands

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by mr.stitches, Aug 11, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Hi All

Im totally clueless about anal glands! Im thinking that both males and females have them, but how do I know if there is a problem and should I be checking them regularly?

Thanks

2. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Heres a wee link for you..
    How to Express a Dog's Anal Gland: How to Groom a Dog | eHow.com

Not a nice thing to do or for your dog to have my Oldest Chi had a absess on his a months back it just what happens the vets says so now i have lernt to do them myself..with the help of the video on the link..;)

I do theres every 1-2 weeks..

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

All dogs have them.

They are supposed to be expressed when a dog poo's. In theory the poo should be hard enough to cause the glands to excrete. If you watch a dog "go" you will sometimes see some liquid dripping out.

If they are impacted, dogs will "scoot" on the floor, or try to nibble their bottoms. They can become infected, and in some rare cases, they have to be removed.

Its hard to check them unless you know what you are doing, as they are located internally. You can get your vet to teach you how to express them, but most people choose not to, as it stinks, and involves insertion of the finger.

You should watch your dog for signs of irritation, but many never have issues. I empty my boys every 2 weeks, otherwise it leaks on my furniture *gags*.

4. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Usually you will notice your dog scooting across the floor on his bottom if his anal glands are full. They should empty naturally when the dog poo's but they don't always and if they get too full the dog can get uncomfy.

Here's a link about them.. anal glands

5. Lindy Lou

Lindy Lou PetForums Junior

Thanks for that info, I had been wondering what that was when Buddy did his pooh! I love Pet Forums!!!!! What wonderful people you all are. A friend of mine has bought a Shih Tzu today, he is so cute. I have already praised this forum and when things settle down I will show them how to avail of it. :thumbup:

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My vet had to empty Candy's anal glands for me, I didn't have a clue what was wrong with her.

The smell was horrendous!

7. groomer gal

groomer gal PetForums Newbie

As a few people have already mentioned a dog should empty his own anal glands when he has a poo. The poo should be hard, so a quality dog food with plenty of fibre will help. If you are feeding a poor quality commercial food, then your dogs poo will be soft causing anal gland problems.

Vets tend to steer away from removal, as this can make dogs incontinent, they are easy to manage with a correct diet.

Anal gland emptying is not the greatest part of my job and it does stink but it does not involve inserting any fingers up a dogs backside:eek:

8. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

If your dog has anal gland problems you won't mistake it, as well as the scooting and bum nibbling, they excrete a brown stinky liquid around the house (usually on your fav duvet or sofa) - the smell is repugnant, a mix of rotten fish and smokey bacon and the whole house will stink

If you don't see any of these symptoms, thank your lucky stars and forget all about it!!

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Well I'm glad I didn't experience any of that! I took my collie cross in because she was biting her paw...which ended up being linked to her anal glands being too full.

10. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

You might also notice your dog holding their tail at a funny angle when their glands are full. Scooter normally carries his tail quite high but when he's got problems there he holds his tail straight outwards then straight down (a bit like an upside-down L) ;)

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It does if its done properly. You can express them without doing so, but it wont be as efficient, and you wont get as much out which will mean it will have to be done more frequently.

12. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes they can also become very itchy too which is another sign they need emptying.:)

13. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Our vet always does it this way. Don't think I could. :eek:
    What is weird though is that my dogs don't smell at all.:confused: He's had them emptied loads of times at the vet but I've never noticed a smell. It is more of a creamy stuff than a browny stuff that comes out of them too.:confused:

14. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Our vet recommended giving raw carrots to help anal glands. Also a teaspoon of bran on their food is meant to help too.:)

15. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Pippin does scoot on the floor every now and then - to our great amusement!

Although I have seen the liquid you are talking about when she has a number two. No bad smells or leaking around the house though so i think were ok for now!

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Alfies is green and stinks, Oscar is brown and doesnt. They have always been like this. Alf's makes me gag, has a metallic tang to it.

They LOVE to smell the cottonwool/tissue after its done.
    Bran is great at bulking out poo. Raw bones is another good one.

Carrots make my boys loose, but they are an odd pair :)

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Candy's was more like black ink and really stank.

18. bmxwidow

bmxwidow PetForums Junior

Megan doesn't scoot but she does smell of rotten fish really bad when she needs her's emptying :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice