Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anal Glands

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Baileys Blind, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind PetForums Senior

Just had a message on the F site from the owner of a litter mate of Lily's. He's a male Working Cocker and will be a year old on 19 dec, just wondered if anyone had come across this before:

When he was very young he kept getting water infections and it's why I had him neutered at 7 months and now he is releasing his glands when he's fast asleep, usually on his back with his legs spread out. He does do it when he comes across a dog he is very scared of, which is understandable, but not when he's relaxed and fast asleep. It's like living with a skunk at the moment, bless him. I'm just wondering if they're over filling, what a pickle. The vet nurse said to see how it is a few month and a vet friend has said she's never heard of a dog doing it during their sleep. Apparently male dogs tend to have more problems than females dogs in that region.

Any ideas on what could be done to help him please???

Thanks

2. JAChihuahua

JAChihuahua PetForums VIP

not the same however one of the family dogs we had when I was a teen had to have his anal glands removed (a fairly risky op I believe) as they kept getting infected and causing abscesses, even after radical diet changes. It worked for him, and he lived to be a grand old age, but I know the op risks leaving your dog incontinent so its not a thing to consider without weighing up all the options.

3. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Nelson used to have problems with his anal glands. We were told that some male dogs do although it may be it improves. We had to get them emptied on a regular basis. He's a Beagle/Cocker by the way. Things didn't improve until we changed his diet. The diet change meant his poop was firmer which pressed the glands when he was going to toilet expressing them naturally. Don't know if this is any help but may be worth asking about how firm his poop normally is and try to work out a method of firming it up if soft.

Baileys Blind likes this.
  4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I have to say I've never heard of a dog or bitch expressing their anal glands when they're asleep either.

Personally I'd say there are as many bitches as male dogs that have anal gland problems but that's by the by.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Alfies leak when he's asleep sometimes, although not quite in that way i dont think.

I empty them a couple of times a month (if i remember) and that seems to solve the problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice