UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Really struggling with my 7yr old westie, anal glands emptied yesterday, she is walking a few steps then sitting down licking her back end, and she has not been to the toilet yet, starting to worry something is not quite right, she went to the groomers and they emptied her gland anybody any ideas?
or should I just go to the vets in the morning

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi All
Really struggling with my 7yr old westie, anal glands emptied yesterday, she is walking a few steps then sitting down licking her back end, and she has not been to the toilet yet, starting to worry something is not quite right, she went to the groomers and they emptied her gland anybody any ideas?
or should I just go to the vets in the morning
Just replied on your other thread, I would certainly get her checked out she really isnt happy and somethings obviously not right. Admitted they are not always too struck on having them actually done, but usually once they are done if full they are usually OK and all the symptoms like worrying at them and scooting stops pretty quickly with the relief.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
My daughter actually took her and the girl state her glands were bad it was like tar - would this mean anything to you?
The anal glands are scent glands and excrete a fluid, some dogs go through life and never have a problem as when they defeacate pressure is put on the glands and they empty naturally. Sometimes they can become blocked, infected or abcesses can form so that cant empty so then it builds up. As I mentioned on your other thread when I rescued a samoyed years ago my first dog I noticed straight away that he yelped on defeacating and looked like he struggled. I guessed what it was straight away and when I took him to the vets, the vet said they were so full and impacted he wouldnt even attempt to express them there and then as it would be painful for the dog and hard to do, so he was put out to do them.

Now if hers were really full large and even impacted and the fluid was really thickened and tar like, its likely it was painful and she could well have had a struggle to express them. In which case they will likely be causing pain and may even be infected and need antibiotics. I would deffinately get the vet to check her. Shes clearly not happy and if its affecting her going to the toilet thats not going to be good either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.