Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anal Glands Flushed when will smell go

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Care4Pets Stockport, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Care4Pets Stockport

Care4Pets Stockport Raw Food Supplier

My 7 year old Flat coat has never had a problem until recently he has had his anal glands emptied by the vet at least 4 times he has 3 lots of antibiotics last week he went back and had his anal glands flushed out and he still stinks, today he is going for a bath. I would have thought after having them flushed he would be ok but right from after the operation he still smelt I thought it could be because it had gone on his coat which is why he is going for a bath but the smell is so bad it can't be just on his coat. By the way he has never shown any signs of discomfort never scooted on the ground or licked the area. Any ideas folks I no the next step is removal but don't really want to go down that road as I believe its very painful operation.

2. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Moppet was the same even if there's only a small amount of the evil stuff on his fur it will really stink.I changed Mops to wafcol salmon and potato dry and mix some raw meat in with it and she has"nt had any problems for a year now before she had to have her glands emptied every 2 weeks also they got impacted.hope things get better:)

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I give my little terrier raw chicken wings twice a week and that seems to keep her sorted (not that she ever had a problem) I read somewhere that they clean their teeth on the way in and anal glands on the way out. May be they would help yours, altho being a bigger dog you may need a couple and to make sure they arent gulped down or offer bigger portions.:D

4. Care4Pets Stockport

He was fed on Arden grange and had no problems, I changed him to natures menu a about 3 months ago, I don't know if that has caused the problem I have now changed him to dried fish for dogs salmon & potato so glad you have said that your dog is on a similar food. Fingers crossed he will smell better after a bath

5. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

is that true???
    if it is i will start feeding them to lexie, you just literally give them raw chicken wings-skin bones flesh? sorry im not clued up on raw :confused:

6. Care4Pets Stockport

Just an update back to vets today Rio's anal Glands are full of blood and infected still even though he had them flushed just last week he has already had 3 lots of antibiotics so the vet has said that he thinks removing them is the best option. So tmrw he is having them removed. I have already changed his diet a number of times added fibre etc. but nothing worked at all and it had been really painful for him having them emptied. We are going away on the 23rd May so did not want to risk one rupturing whilst we are away. If anyone is interested in recovery time etc let me know and I will post.

7. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Poor doggy sounds painful. Let us know how he gets on, won't you?

8. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

ah poor thing, anal glands are quite frankly a pain in the ass!!! lexies started bothering her at 6mths so she is started on chicken wings to see if they help.
    let us know how your dog gets on when he has them removed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice