Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anal glands and hedgehogs.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Malmum, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Had a frantic call from Carly when I was over the field with Kali Tuesday evening.
    'Mum, something's wrong with Marty, I think he's got some kind of fistula on his bum!'
    I said I reckoned it was a burst anal gland, although he'd shown no sign of pain and with his immense thick coat you'd never see any swelling. Got home to see her standing three feet away from him, hand on her mouth and obviously had a tear. He was a right state, his white fur covered in poo, puss and blood and panting - pretty stressed. I got a bucket, took him in the garden and between us cleaned him up, trimmed as much fur as poss and rinsed him thoroughly with strong iodine solution. Luckily I had a five day course of co amoxiclav aside in case Kali had anal probs from a few months ago, so gave him a tab, four tramadol and applied chloramphenicol all round the area - phone vet in morning was the plan.
    Phoned vet who was happy with what we'd done and said take him down if we were concerned. Bathed it this morning as best I could as Carly was at work gave him meds etc and all was looking well. :)

This evening with Carly's help I got the trimmers out and trimmed all around his bum, washed it then rinsed in iodine solution, applied ointment again and gave him tramadol. Now we could see it properly, left side anal gland rupture. Now bald the area was nice and clean, the rupture a neat round hole, nice and flat now and nothing coming out when squeezed.
    Marty has never had anal gland probs in nearly nine years, whenever we've asked the vet to check them when he has his thyroid bloods taken hardly anything comes out.

He was such a good boy, let us do everything we needed to do so Carly got his Wubba and was having a game with him in my side of the garden when he disappeared into the bushes and slowly backed out with ........a young hedgehog in his mouth. :yikes: he was carrying it like it was a hens egg, very gingerly. He dropped it as soon as he was told and Rosie checked it over (full of fleas) put it in a bucket, asked a neighbour if it could go in her garden (tiggywinkles suggestion) and no harm done.
    I knew the hedgehog next door had two young, that's why I didn't re locate her and I'd checked my neighbours garden for gaps in the fence but this lil fella had found a hole somehow and squeezed through. I thought the young had left as I'd been looking for them and they weren't in their nest anymore, as they leave mum and nest at six weeks old I figured they'd moved on - wrong!

So an eventful 24 hours for Marty, a new home in neighbours daughters garden for hog and Flynn must be sick as a parrot cos he's been waiting for a hedgehog for weeks and the one time dads over that side he gets it, lol.
    Good boy Marty all round though, for being brave and allowing us to do some very painful procedures and for saving the hog from Flynn and 'handling' it so gently too. Well done Marts. :001_wub:

2. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Poor Marty :( hope hes feeling loads better today :)

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I didn't want to open this thread; I was imagining all sorts of horrendous spike related injuries :yikes:.

Well done to Marty :).

4. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Poor Marty - what a good lad allowing you to do all that.

I thought the outcome would be that on cutting his fur, you'd found he'd sat on a hedgehog! :eek:

5. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Well done big boy. I too was not sure i wanted to open the thread :eek:

6. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

All settled now and a very Chilled boy again.

[​IMG]

7. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Gosh that sounds awful! Poor Marty! Glad he's feeling better already! You all handled it very calmly! I wouldn't of had the faintest idea!

And well done for saving the hedgehog >< mine tend to just bark at them like loons!l

8. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Marty is such a gentle boy, the way he carried that little hog and dropped it gently on the ground was so sweet. Had to keep him away because they have loads of fleas. He looks funny from behind now with all that fur and a big bald area and I made sure loads was shaved to keep infection away and clean it well, just as well he field walks and other dogs can't take the mick. :D

Was gobsmacked really as he's never had anal gland probs in his life. I have to empty Kali's now as she's had three, Flynn one - am pretty up on them now, unfortunately.

Have to hand it to Marty though, he's got the sweetest nature of all three and wouldn't dream of being cheeky like Flynn. :)

9. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Handsome boy :) Marty is my favourite of your mals don't see enough pics of him ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice