Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

anal glands again!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lexie2010, Mar 29, 2011.

1. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

lexie has problems with her anal glands, i empty them every 6 weeks or so, when i smell and see from her behaviour that she is bothered by them. should i always empty straight away when i notice this behaviour or should i leave them a little longer to try and allow them to empty naturally? she has had this prob since she was 6mths (shes a year old now) and gets a weetabix everyday to try and keep things right.

2. Sparkle

Sparkle PetForums Senior

Why do you feed her weetabix?? What is her normal diet (food?) are her stools firm? I would possibly look into feeding a high quality food that keeps stools extremely firm you want them to have a strain a tiny bit so the stool comes out slowly and the glands express now I feel sick lol

If she is showing signs of being bothered I definitely wouldn't leave them any longer as they can het impacted and make her very poorly.

3. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

yeah they have never become impacted and i want to avoid that at all costs! vet recommended weetabix mixed in with her dinner and she loves it so i continue with it. her poos are firm and she is very regular, no problem with her poos ever-shes on JWB at the mo but am changing her onto wainwrights when this JWB is ending.
    you feel sick!!! last time i emptied her i was in the worst of pregnancy sickness-now that was not nice!!!!:eek:

4. Sparkle

Sparkle PetForums Senior

Definitely don't leave it any longer

I'm a raw feeder :) honestly I would try getting her on a higher quality food like orijen or even better try ziwipeak you want something grain free as grains just fill them up and can make the stools softer than they should be you basically want to find something that gives her very firm stools her stools now obviously aren't doing the job of draining

And omag I feel for you

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

My vet recently told me that anal glands should not be emptied more frequently than every three months or so. He said doing it too often can cause scar tissue and make the condition worse.

You should find that now you are feeding barf the bones will harden the poo, emptying the anal glands as it comes out. ;) Weetabix will soften the poo and not really help with emptying at all, it just makes the dog more regular, as it does with us.

If after a couple of months the condition is still bad removal of the glands is an option.
    Flynns glands often empty on their own - two vets have told me this is what they should do and the smell is verification that they are working normally! ;)

6. Paddy Paws

Paddy Paws PetForums Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice