Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Anal gland removal

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by pigeon1066, Feb 11, 2012.

1. pigeon1066

pigeon1066 PetForums Junior

been back to vets today to have my german shepard bitch which is 2half years old anal glands checked yet again. only emptied 10 days ago and had allready started to fill up again. vet has sugested having them removed. one of the main problems is anal glands cannot be express externally, vets has to go internal with finger and anal glands are still hard to reach with finger. just looking for opinions on anal glands removal

2. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

I've read a few threads here and elsewhere on resulting incontinence when the anal sphincter was affected by gland removal.

As with many health issues that cause/cure might be found with modification to the diet.

Allowing the dog's body to function naturally and by including raw bones in the dogs normal daily diet can encourage the anal gland to express naturally during defecation.

A few weeks of bones in the daily diet seems a reasonable experiment to explore before risking an incontinence GSD.

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is a very messy op and should be avoided if possible. I have only seen dogs have it that get repeated abcesses rather than the inconvenience of emptying them. Why cant they be emptied externally , you could then learn to do it yourself and it would not be such a big problem.

4. unicorn

unicorn PetForums Member

Why does your vet don’t show you how you can empty the anal glands? It is not a big deal i would rather empty them myself the let them have removed.

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I had probs with Flynn once and put up a thread. All positive remarks from people who had the op. Flynn settled down and has had no further probs so I'm glad I didn't have it done.
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/129822-anal-gland-removal.html

On another note Kali, my female Malamute has to have them emptied internally and I do it myself, was tricky at first but fine now and she would much rather mum did it than go to the vet as she stresses out madly, lol.

Get your vet to show you how to do it and if he won't go to a different vet cos mine showed me. This guy is sweet although a bit over enthusiastic :eek: and I don't think this dog really needed them emptied, lol. Gives you and idea but I'm a bit more gentle with Kali! :)
    Veterinary Secrets: Dog Anal Gland Problems - YouTube

6. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

My girl had hers removed a few years ago due to reoccurring infections :(

Although she kept getting these infections, the vet commented that the glands were not really filling up with fluid. So the decision was made to remove them.

I knew incontinence was a possibility but there seemed (at the time) to be no real alternative :(

The worst time is the first week after the op as it takes a few days for the sphincter to strengthen again, which in the case of my noisy girls meant I was frequently following her with tissues because every time she barked, she pooped a nugget or two :eek: :eek:

However I'm glad she had the op and has had no issues resulting from it :)

As someone else said it maybe worth feeding a raw diet or at least a few bones a week to naturally express the glands, if that doesn't work then look at the op :)

7. Dogsbody53

Dogsbody53 PetForums Member

My friend had her Labradors anal glands removed years ago for the same reason, she is absolutely fine, just make sure the vet has done this type of op before.

I am in the same position as you with my dog, emptied twice in 10 days internally by the vet, the vet tried to show me how to do it externally but I couldn’t & neither could she, apparently my dogs glands are not possible to empty externally. ……………….before I take this any further I am going to a very experienced dog lady who is going to see if they can be emptied externally & if so teach me, as I suspect modern vets are not taught how to do it.

My dog always passes hard poo’s so that’s not the reason for them not emptying naturally. Hope you get yours sorted ok, it’s horrid to see the dogs so uncomfortable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice