Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Anaesthetic Death

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Cah923, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Cah923

Cah923 PetForums Newbie

I have had my beautiful kitten 2 months and having watched her over New Year being in heat and seeing her fascination over the outside world it was time. I had booked her in to be spayed. The morning I took her she was a nightmare to catch. She had managed to escape from the cat carrier once. I caught he while she was in mid-air and bundled her in the cat carrier and walked to the vets with her which is close by. Vet went through all the normal checks and she was calm (calmish although she was contemplating jumping off the table). After going home the vets phoned a couple of hours later. I will never forget them saying we are having a bit of a problem with Luna. During sedation she had stopped breathing and her heart had stopped. They had restarted it twice and reversed what medications they could. I went to see her with a heavy heart. They were breathing for her, they could hear no heart murmurs. I willed her to breathe again and stroked her saying her name. Sadly several minutes later her heart stopped again and I had already asked them not to re-start it again. I felt like I had taken my beautiful kitten to die!! No known health problems, active, happy kitten and now she is gone and I am devastated, can't stop crying.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’m so sorry for your loss :(

What an awful shock.

Unfortunately, occasionally things do go wrong and a GA is never without risk, however necessary they are for our pet’s welfare.

I understand how you feel, but try not to blame yourself - how could you have predicted such a tragedy?

Take care x

3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

How awful for you; it's so ironic when you had taken her there in good faith to have a procedure which was for her benefit. So sorry for your loss, but you must not blame yourself.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Oh that's heartbreaking. I'm so sorry . :(

5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I'm so terribly sorry for you, especially as she was so young. I have also lost a cat during an anaesthetic and I don't know the reason why. So many cats have them for various reasons, it seems so unfair some should not survive. In no way was it your fault so please try not to think that way. RIP little one

6. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

so so sorry, years ahead snatched away in a flash...memories you can now never have

7. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

8. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I am so very sorry for your loss. xx

9. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I'm very sorry for your loss. GA's aren't without risk, and your sweet girl was very unlucky. It's so sad, as it was so sudden. x
    Could there have been something wrong with her heart, I wonder?

MissMiloKitty likes this.
  10. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

Luna is a lovely name. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Generals always come with risks I'm afraid. It can happen to anyone.
    Its not something that happens more than once. If you get another cat then the chances of it happening again are virtually zero. X x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice