Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

An obscure question..apologies

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by s4simo, Jan 3, 2012.

1. s4simo

s4simo PetForums Member

Me, the kids and monte were walking or rather being blown along the beach today. About 40 mins in the kids started screaming and there was a huge and I mean huge deceased seal. It was about 2 meters long and wasn't there the day before so was newly beached. Anyway I can't seem to find out if you are supposed to report this kind of thing. I guess it is a 'health hazzard' and unless the tide comes right in again and takes it away it will stay there for everyone else's dogs to 'investigate' ..... Any ideas?

2. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

I don't think there is any need to report but you should be aware that seals can carry canine distemper. There was an outbreak a few years ago in Norfolk and dog walkers were advised to stay away from the beach.

3. s4simo

s4simo PetForums Member

Oh I didn't know that :eek: monte did investigate but it was way to big for even him to have a go a dragging home.

4. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

Of course it may well have died naturally and shouldn't be a problem anyway for vaccinated dogs. But worth bearing in mind. I expect it will be washed away when the tide changes.

5. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I believe you report it to the Institute of Fisheries - they will do a post mortem on the seal to see if it died of a disease or natural causes.

6. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

The local council Environmental Health Office have jurisdiction over public beaches, and this is classed as a health hazard. Local council via the phone book etc.

If it were a whale where there was a risk to shipping you first call would be to the Coastguard. Coastguard telephone: 999 or 101

Dogs will be interested in the carcass, but as it might have been floating dead for weeks it is likely to be bacteria ridden and pose a health risk if ingested.

7. s4simo

s4simo PetForums Member

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have eventually navigated all local council web pages and found a sympathetically titled page called 'dead animals'.... Bet it took them a while to think of this nice title :eek:
    Anyway I have filled in the electronic form and so I guess they will now deal with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice