Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

An Idiot And His Staffie.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sarahnorris, May 12, 2010.

1. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

just letting of some steam cause im quite annoyed!

we(my friend and i) were walking through the park, and she has a white GSD same age as diva and diva and breeze have grown up together since they were about 4 months old.. and they are very protective over each other and they work as a pack when there out(glued to each other!) and diva is like the protector of the group.

but anyways, diva is on the lead this week because shes in the bad books and she wouldn't come back to me a couple of days ago so shes grounded :lol:
    and breeze and akai were off-lead.
    and this idiot with his mrs came into the park, and breeze obv as most dogs do went over to say hi, and the dog went for breeze.(this dog was off-lead)
    but breeze came back to us right away,

and the man shouted
    "gonna get your f***ing dog on a lead or my dogs gonna get a hold of it and throw it round like a rag doll"

at this point i lost the plot. :lol:

and this is kinda how it went:
    me:"no what mate, if your dogs the aggressive one you f***ing put your mutt on a lead, it was ur dog that went for ours!"

man:"dont think so"

me:"if your dog goes anywhere near our dogs i'll let this one(diva) have it"

diva at this point was getting quite agitated and she was jumping up and down pulling me and barking. iv never seen diva act that way, i was quite surprised if she was reacting because of me or she didn't like the dog.

man put his dog on the lead and left the park.

i don't like using my dog as a weapon because that almost made me as bad as him, but it got rid of him and made him think twice.

lianne86 likes this.
  2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Omg its people like him that ruin the reputation of staffys, good job you had Diva with you.

3. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

You know what good on you, it gets me so mad when we get people like this:mad:, i would have done the same if my dogs was bigger

4. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

What an idiot! These are the types of people that shouldn't own any dog, let alone a staffy, who are already suffering with a bad reputation :(

Glad you stood up for yourself and your dogs :)

5. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Not knowing the full circs...

Depends tho in my opinion on how far away the dog was. I would be annoyed if someones dogs came (running) over from along way away to say hello when I had my dog (potentially dog agreesive dog) under control. Until you have a dog that can react you don't realise how annoying it can be and how it can set you back. If my dog is on the lead he is 100 times worse so he is off lead and kept away from bouncy dogs for everyones sake.

Still there is no need for shouting aggressively though in oru case I should out something like OH he can be very grumpy then if they still let their dogs come over they can't complain. And I know he isn't going to rip anyone apart.

Of course thats a bit different from dogs saying hello when you are walking along the same path within reasonable distance of eachother where he hasn't let you know there could be a problem and hasn't changed path etc.

6. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

I agree with this post. Although my dogs are not aggressive, I dislike other dogs running up to them when their owners are across the other side of the field, as I have no way of ascertaining if the approaching dog is going to be aggressive. As my dogs are staffies, if there was an altercation, my dogs would doubtless be to blame, when it is the other dog who is out of control!

7. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

I try to be civil in circumstances to people even if something happens so people know us and know our circs and why my dog is like he is - he isn't a monster he is a dog that got attacked and happens to react to bouncy young dogs in his face - often a bit OTT but I wouldn't ever swear at anyone because it creates bad feeling and upsets the pair of you.

8. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Just reading this is making my blood boil:mad:
    He immediately lost his rag with you and made no intention asking politely to put Breeze on a lead, what a complete b@sterd!

Buy hey, you won the battle :) He sounded like a right chav to me.

9. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

It sounded like a chav "trying" to politely tell you to leash your dog, to prevent it running over to his dog again and risk getting itself injured, because his dog simply wasnt dog friendly.

And when you told him it was his dog that went for yours, ofcourse he wasnt going to agree .... your dog ran over to his remember, his dog didnt run over to yours .....

I think chavs are seriously misunderstood at times :p

Sounds like you both had a shouty sweary match across a field and sounded as bad as each other,if I had been on that field at the time, I would have just held my Sailor on a tighter lead and avoided you both :lol:

10. lianne86

lianne86 PetForums Member

omg! i had a similar incident the other week! i had to literally kick away this staffy (who came out of nowhere) as he was trying to attack kya who i just put back on the lead..he went for her..she retaliated (not helpful) and then went for me!!!:eek:

i was livid when the owner FINALLY decided to turn up (must of been walking like a slug) honestly this dog came out of nowhere bolting down the lane straight for kya growling, teeth baring :scared: no owner in sight...he was very big..i went absolutly spare at the owner (who was young,scruffy, didnt give a toss) effing blinding, when he finally put his dog on the lead..he said 'he's never usually like this' really? whatever love lol

its owners like that that give staffys a bad name...im so waring of them now because of that..i still love the breed, and i know there are some lovely staffys out there. but that one incident really shook me up :(

hope youve boiled over!!!! theres always a plank wherever you go! and good on you!

#10 lianne86, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  11. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

we were walking along the path and he came in the entrance, we were quite close to each other. and i think he knows fine well his dog is aggressive but didn't have it on a lead. i don't think we were to blame in this incident.

the dog was off lead and running around, dogs are very sociable and since it was off-lead you wouldn't think it was gonna take a chunk out of breeze as if it was on a lead we would of told her to come away which she does.

if you have a dog that is dog aggressive you just DONT let it off a park full of dogs.

and the thing also was he must of been atleast 30+ not even a mouthy young lad.

#11 Sarahnorris, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  12. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

If I walk in the park entrance I keep a clear sight to make sure its dog free of potentially 'unsuitable' dogs that might might not get on with before going in the other direction or keeping them on.

13. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

agree with this

not knowing the full circumstances though....

however if any dog ran over to mine (shes really friendly) offlead - id be pretty peed off....

how do they know your dog isnt going to bite (not everyone is clued up on dog behaviour/bodylanguaghe!)

how do you know their dog isnt aggressive.

politeness means dogs should be put on leads to check all dogs are friendly - or at least a shout over to the owner.

14. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I have to admit if I see a dog off lead I tend to assume its ok to let Henrick approach, if the dog showed any aggression or fear I would call him straight back (he is always polite when he approaches anyway) but I think a dog being off lead is generally assumed to be approachable.

15. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

im exactly the same.

16. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

Cassie (Staffie) isn't very sociable when we meet other dogs but i wont let her off if i know theres another dog in the vicinity. Even when i know its safe i'm on constant watch incase one appears.. shes soon called back and back on the lead as soon as i notice them.

Im new to looking after dogs but i just do what i think is right... keeping others safe aswell as Cassie. If that means shes staying on the lead or finding somewhere quieter to walk her then i'll do it.

If that guy had any sort of sense he'd have put his Staffie onleash as soon as he saw you as he obviously knew how it would react.

17. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

did he actually take a chunk of breeze? Then you should report the incident and see breeze to the vet... Or did he actually give a close air snap with a hellovagrowl to make his point well received. Don't take offense, I am sure it was scary, but if indeed the dog was aggressive he would have given chase and attacked, perhaps he wanted his personal space respected.

No excuse for the owner, wouldn't call him a chav, just rude, but so were you. you both behaved the same, you both used your dogs as status

My dog has has a manner problem since I got him, he has run to so many dogs to say hello and got a few hell of a telling off, looks scary, but it was never an attack and run off, was never chased or bitten, he is better now. Sounds like breeze was the bigger guy in all this, he approached the wrong dog, realized and u-turned. Unless, like you say he got a chunk taken off in which case my apology as I clearly misread.

A dog has every right to be unsociable and be off lead as long as he minds his own business, an aggressive dog is a whole different thing.

18. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

I am all for dogs off leads and if I see someone coming our way who i think may have a dog that my boy won't like then will either put him on or change direction. He is fab with smaller older calmer dogs (and very big dogs) but if i see someone with an off lead dog approaching then I would assume all is OK with us both for them to meet.

however I would only let my dogs say hello to those who are nearby - I wouldn't assume if i saw a dog over the other side of the field I wouldn't let mine run over - that is not right.

One of mine loves to charge up to other dogs 'giving it all that' in noise (play but soundsn god awful) and then dive round them... I don't let her do this even with dogs we are OK to meet as its very rude. So keep mine in a 6 ft radius when we approach other dogs out of politeness.

I wish we could meet more owners we could walk around with off lead as its introductions my boy is bad at, once you get going round and he realises the other dog is OK he is very good. Mums friend had a lab who it was good for him to get on with.. three times he handbagged at her, all noise and slobber and we thought they are never going to get on... but she did the right thing, and totally ignored him then... which instantly got his itnerest up and by the end of the walk they were fine, bestest friends by the end of the week.

People are alot less tolerant of staffies i think... my boy is all noise at other dogs - but people get freaked. Mums dog is a black lab x collie/gsd and he is getting very grumpy in his old age, but people just laugh and say, oooh he doesn't like him does he...

19. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

the staffie had breezes hair in its mouth and was reluctant to let go of her but she came right back to us, and she never dived across the park either, we were both close to each other and i didn't once call him a chav dogdigna thank you.

and damm right i was rude, i wasn't gonna gonna let the idiot speak to me like that, i gave as good as i got. wouldn't you?

#19 Sarahnorris, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  20. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

No you didn't, but others did, damn rude to label people they never even saw. I see plenty so called chav types in my area, many of them seem responsible dog owners to me.

See, like I said, if indeed he took a chunk (hair), my apologies. My point stands even though it might no apply here. I come across so many grumpy, stroppy dogs who would be likely to bite another dog if pestered enough and it is down to the pestering dog to avoid confrontation and stop the approach when the other dog made it clear (even just a look should suffice) that he wants to be left alone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice