Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

...an hour in the life of a free roaming cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by buffie, Nov 8, 2020.

1. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

This is not so much a rant about free roaming cats but more a plea to those who think it is in their cats best interest to be out free roaming.
    Yesterday a new cat on the block appeared in the garden , a very handsome blue/grey coloured youngish looking chap/chapess .
    The first I knew of its presence was that horrible low growl/hiss/yowl that comes from cats in a face off when I looked out there was Meeko and said cat in a stand off ,Meeko , in his tunnel and this new cat on the workshop roof.
    It didn't take long for this to escalate into a full on battle with Meeko trying to rip the wire from his tunnel to get to it.
    Naturally I went out to chase the cat off and it launched its self off the workshop roof into nextdoors garden which is around 3 feet lower than mine so probably a drop of 9 feet into/onto god knows what.
    An hour or so later the same cat was in a similar situation with the local bully only this time it was caught in a corner with a stone wall behind it, I think it would have retreated if the other cat had let it go but everytime it tried to it got a duffing up.
    Eventually something distracted the bully giving the cat the chance to leg it but the bully gave chase and they both ended up on the main road in front of busy traffic .
    The point of this is........do you really think a cat needs this kind of danger to make it happy :(

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Oh nooooo that’s is just awfully sad. I do hope the owners now realise cats are NOT safe to free roam!

A strong message to all

Hugs to you @buffie as I bet you are upset too xxxxxxx

Forester and buffie like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

@ewelsh I should have been a bit clearer the cats both ,I think, were okay as the cars did all slow down and as far as I could tell neither were injured , but it so easily could have been a different outcome had the leading drivers on both sides of the road not been vigilant .

ewelsh likes this.
  4. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Phew, but your right @buffie that so could have gone the wrong way!

I wish the owners were watching!

buffie likes this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Well judging by threads I've read over the years some seem to think it's some kind of point of honor to have a cat constantly battered by fights, with all the vet bills and restrictions during healing and everything else that comes with it. I've never understood the mentality and avoid those threads as soon as I realize what they are about.

Betty6691 and buffie like this.
  6. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I am glad both cats were okay. I wish in this day and age with all the dangers people would think long and hard before letting their cats free roam. I think people have to make their own choices, but where there are main roads and other dangers they would think twice before letting their cat out to roam.

Viv xx

ewelsh, Betty6691 and buffie like this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

This thread has had 163 views , if a small number of those who have read it stop and think about the fact that if their cat is allowed to free roam the grey cat could easily have been their cat then it has been worth while.
    Its so easy to say that my cat is fine while out , it never goes near X/Y/ Z but the truth is unless it never leaves your garden how do you know ?
    I'm willing to bet the owner of the grey cat would be horrified to learn of the 2 encounters it had in the space of an hour.......next time it may not be so lucky :(

#7 buffie, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Forester and ewelsh like this.
  8. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

You are so right. When cats are fighting or scared they will just bolt. They will never know how lucky those 2 owners are or how different the outcome could have been.
    Viv xx

buffie and ewelsh like this.
  9. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@buffie
    Do you know the owners or could you find out? Just give them a friendly heads up. They may think he is out chasing butterflies all day.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sadly I havnt a clue where the grey cat comes from ,I havnt seen it before but I will ask around , if I find the owner I will let them know it is not out enjoying its self quite as much as they might think.
    There is a housing estate across the main road where people seem to come and go quite often so may be a new arrival / may be lost/ just taken a wrong turning and wandered up this way .
    The other cat is a known bully , a few cat owners have tried in vain to get vet bills paid for injuries to their cats as it apparently goes looking to fight .
    Meeko has had a few disagreements with it through the wire of his run but my garden hose aim has proved quite effective as has my coke bottle full of gravel which makes a pretty decent racket ;)

Summercat likes this.
  11. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Senior

Mmmm I am so pleased Lola only goes in the garden.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice