Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Amount Of Food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sda68, Jul 20, 2009.

1. sda68

sda68 PetForums Newbie

Hi there, Ive only had my cats a couple of months but a couple of people said ive been feeding them too much. I was giving them half a pouch each in the morning and half a pouch each in the evening and a hand full of buscuits each time too.

Someone suggested I go down to quarter of a pounch each in morning and evening but I feel really mean. They are still getting about 75g each of complete biscuits.

No problem with water intake, they have there own glass on the window sill as they prefer to drink out of that.

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Sounds fine to me. Mine all get more than that. Are they gaining weight?

3. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I think I must over feed my cats. I am always in Pets At Home.

I give mine 2/3 pouches per day and any amount of biscuits they like. I have never had an overly greedy cat, thankfully.

4. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

Usually there is 'an amount to feed guide' on the food packet. However I think it depeds on the cat and what they do.

If your cat seems overweight - cut back. Remember that a lot of vets offer a free weighing in facility - ask the vet nurse/receptionist.

5. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

That is pretty much what I feed my two, half a pouch on a morning and half on an evening. They have dry meal down all the time in case they get peckish.
    They don't really eat very much at all, I have tried giving them what is recommended but they just leave it.

There's no way I could get Lola to eat her recommended 3 pouches a day!

6. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

in most cases cats will not over eat, my cats are all cery active so they get a tin of catfood per day plus a snack which is a handfull of raw mince as i am trying to get them onto a more raw diet and they get a little extra throughout the day if they seem hungry. i know it seems a lot and no the cats dont have worms which would cause them to eat loads they are just very very active and are always out playing with the kids

7. sda68

sda68 PetForums Newbie

Ah thanks, ill see how it goes. I lowered it because at times Anya looked like she was putting on some weight underneath.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice