Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ammonia nitrifification help

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Christopher2827, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Christopher2827

Christopher2827 PetForums Junior

Hi

I've gotten good help from these forums and I'm almost at the stage of saving my tank. My cycle stalled out and my ammonia went through the roof and my ph crashed, killed all my beneficial bacteria and ive been unable to establish a new bacteria colony. I've since stabilised the ph to 7.0, and FINALLY got the ammonia down to 2ppm. Thanks to help from these forums.

Final stage of getting tank to cycle establish colonies and get the ammonia nitrifying, what can I'd do to make sure they are appearing?

Now that the water is decent for a cycling tank I've dropped a pure aqaurium bomb to kick start the bacteria. Do I just monitor the ammonia levels and keep them about 2? Could I put 2 fish in to maintain some ammonia levels when the ammonia starts nitrifying? Or am I better just dropping some food in? This will be my first time properly cycling a tank, ive established a tank before but I didn't really know what I was doing and I ruined it. So any input is appreciated,

Thanks,

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

If ammonia is 2ppm, you don't need to add anything that's going to add to it - you really don't want to send it higher again. Just keep testing. When it starts to drop, start testing NitrIte (notice the I). Let ammonia fall to about 0.25, then top up with either ammonia solution (most do go that route) or a handful of fish food in the toe of a stocking. Leave the ammonia ball in the water until ammonia rises to 2ppm again, then remove. The tank is cycled when you top up ammonia to 2ppm in the evening, test in the morning and both ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm. If you use the fish food method, the tank is cycled when you leave the ammonia ball in there constantly and never get a reading for ammonia and nitrite.

Do a water change to bring the nitrate down, and get the fish. :)

DO NOT put fish in a cycling tank - especially not with such high levels of ammonia. If you do, the bacteria will only grow to accommodate the fish already in the tank, leading to ammonia and nitrite spikes when you add more fish.

Forget the pH stabiliser. Adding that is just going to complicate matters and lead to swings and crashes.

Christopher2827 likes this.
  3. Christopher2827

4. Christopher2827

How long roughly should it take for the 2ppm of ammonia to start lowering are we talking days or a week or so?

It's seachem neautral regulator I've been using just stop using that altogether? Its a dechlorinator and ammonia detoxifier too

5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

It can take about a week, give or take a couple of days.

There's no need for ammonia detoxifier in a tank without fish - in fact, many can screw with ammonia test results. For the purpose of fishless cycling, I'd use something like Tetra Aquasafe, or this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQUARIAN-W...keywords=tap+safe&qid=1627572524&rdc=1&sr=8-5

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice