Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

American cocker spaniel

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Rhianmorganx, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Rhianmorganx

Rhianmorganx PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    My puppy is nearly 11 weeks old and he is popping about 10-15 times a day and it the texture is runny/soft. From what I’ve read it isn’t normal for puppies to poop as often as this and I’ve been advised 4-5 times a day is said to be normal. My puppy is also ‘scooting’ and so we took him to the vet after telling them we think there is an issue with his anal glands- which they confirmed there was and that his anal glands were full. The vet expressed his anal glands however 4 days later he is still scooting and the frequency of his pooping hasn’t reduced. I’m really concerned about him. He is happy in himself, playful, and will eat all of his food. But not sure what else to do!

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

If poo is too liquid then this won't press firmly enough internally on the anal glands, which means they're physically unable to empty at the natural steady rate.

How long have you had the pup? Where did you source him from? Has the pup been appropriately wormed as they developed? And has the poo consistency always been this bad, or is it a recent change? These symptoms are really common in litters from puppy farms with their overcrowding and lack of hygiene and health care.

You probably need to get a faecal sample to your vet to test for parasites. I'm surprised your vet didn't mention anything like this when you discussed the diarrhoea?

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It’s possible too that he’s made himself sore which is why he’s continuing to scoot (if the above issues have been dealt with/ruled out).

Clean him with cotton wool wetted with warm water after he’s pooped and dry him off.

I used to apply either Vaseline or sudocrem on Jack just as we went out for a walk so he couldn’t lick it off.

Is he on the same food as the breeder used or did you change it gradually? What food is it?

Maybe try him on chicken and rice for a few days to see if his poo will firm up (which squeezes the ag to empty).

If no improvement, go back to the vet - it can sometimes need more than one trip to sort them out.

Rhianmorganx and JoanneF like this.
  4. Rhianmorganx

Thanks for commenting. We have had the pup for 4 weeks and we had him from a lady who is quite local to us who has both the mum and dad dogs as family pets in her home.

He was given worming stuff to put in his food the first time we took him to the vets when they had advised use that there was nothing wrong with him. We added this into his food as advised and 2 weeks on and nothing has changed for him.

Since we have had him his poo has always been like this - with him going 10-15 times a day. Which doesn’t seem normal. I totally agree with you that if his poo isn’t firm enough this isnt going to press on his anal glands for them to express themselves and this is my fear if there is something internal wrong with him.

I will ring the vet and suggest I take a poo sample to them as I’m really worries now.

thank you

Torin. likes this.
  5. Rhianmorganx

Thank you for replying. His bottom was initially sore after having his anal glands expressed the first time and we were giving anti inflammatory medication by the vet for him, which he has now finished and his bottom doesn’t look sore anymore yet he still continues to scoot when needed the toilet or after the toilet as though something is irritating him :(

He was on pedigree dry food when we had him but we gradually took him off this and put him onto Harrington dry biscuits and have started added into his biscuits once a day natural food ‘butternut’.
    Do you think we should just try him on chicken and rice ?
    Thank you

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

As he’s been loose since you had him, it might be worth it to cut out all the extra ingredients.

Chicken and rice is bland so often helps calm the system down.

Getting a poo sample checked is probably a good idea too to rule out parasites and bugs.

Rhianmorganx likes this.
  7. Rhianmorganx

I will definitely try him on chicken and rice thank you so much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice