Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

American Bully

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Abk, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Abk

Abk PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I've got an American bully, and was thinking of studding him out. What are the rules and procedures as I'm not sure and never done this before.
    Thank you

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Show him or compete with him in some way to get independent evaluations of his structure, temperament, and performance and see if he is a good representation of the breed.
    Health tests. American bullies should be tested for hip and elbow dysplasia (x-ray), cardiac exam, lab test for autoimmune thyroiditis, DNA test for cerebellar ataxia, and an eye exam.
    Now you have to find a bitch who has also cleared the relevant health tests, and is a good representation of the breed, and draw up a contract with that owner.

If you are in the UK, I wouldn't breed him at all because American Bullies are "of type" and could easily be seized for no other reason than what they look like.

3. Abk

Abk PetForums Newbie

Yeah I'm from the UK. Ahh right wasn't aware of that. I've just seen loads of people do it and was interested.
    Is there a chart showing a good structure etc as I would like to breed him with another good quality dog.

4. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.
    American Bullies are not a recognised breed in the UK so your best bet is to neuter your pet and enjoy him as he is.
    The puppy market is flooded with pups, adding more that could potentially fall foul of BSL due to their shape is not a responsible thing to do.

5. Abk

Abk PetForums Newbie

Fair enough, I was just seeing what my options were. More than happy than just watching my dopey dog grow up . The money was just a bonus.

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Loads of people are doing it to cash in on the vastly obscene amounts people are prepared to pay.

Very sensible

simplysardonic likes this.
  7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome to PF :)

I'm glad you see it that, just love your boy and enjoy him, there are enough unwanted puppies around without adding to the problem.

Hope you stick around and let us know more about your boy and we'd love to see a picture of him.

8. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Dont forget it's not just about the money, in the way that selling something like an xbox or some shoes would be.
    You would be 50% responsible for bringing 6+ very real little lives into the world for the next 10+ years. That's a huge thing.

9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

The UKC in the US has a breed standard for American Bullies, which you can read here: https://www.ukcdogs.com/docs/breeds/american-bully-breed.pdf
    Unfortunately the ones I've seen don't resemble this standard in any way. First page of the breed standard states: "Eliminating Faults: Any disproportionate, overdone characteristic that would interfere with physical activity or working ability." Yet most of the supposed American Bullies I've seen are so exaggerated they can barely move.
    It's also in the breed standard that the head should not be exaggerated, nose should have open nostrils, the front legs should be straight, and several other points of structure that are complete opposite of what you see out there.

As someone else has said, the breed is not recognized in the UK so those breeding in the UK in particular aren't following any standard and seem to be breeding crippled dogs who can't breathe or move sadly.
    Personally I don't see anything wrong with an APBT that needed to be changed so much to create another breed.

So yes, please neuter your boy and enjoy him as a pet.

Lurcherlad, LittleMow and LinznMilly like this.
  10. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

There will be even more around when the lockdowns eventually end (if ever they do!).

Think that's your most sensible and best bet for the time being . . . how old is he in fact?

11. Abk

Abk PetForums Newbie

He's only 7 months, a real cuddle monster.

Calvine, BlueJay and Jason25 like this.
  12. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

He's only a baby, got A LOT of maturing and growing left to do!
    Enjoy him being a goofy puppy, you'll miss it when he's all grown up :)

Abk and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice