Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

American Bulldog rehomed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MissBelle, May 8, 2017.

1. MissBelle

MissBelle PetForums Newbie

Good Evening ladies and gents my name is Shelley and I've recently become the proud owner of an 18 month old American Bulldog called Bentley... he is absolutely handsome and the most soppy dog I've ever come across a complete cuddle monster lol..... his previous owners had to very reluctantly rehome him due to a house move... he's been raised with 2 other dogs 2 rabbits a parrot and a 2 year old little girl so is very friendly and not at all aggressive.... he is brilliant with my 9 and 11 year old and after 10 days has settled in well.... however lol you all knew it was coming this afternoon with me not the children he started playing a little rough trying to snap at my hands and bite me not hard just nipping (I think) he didn't actually manage to get me but he's never acted like this before.....????

How would you discipline him and teach him that's naughty?? I just sternly said no to him which in turn he went for my hand again.... I turned and ignored him and he laid down kind of growling before moving to my partner and attempted similar behaviour.... he has since stopped and is now cuddled up by my side snoring lol... is this normal behaviour?? Testing the water?? Pushing boundaries?? How do I deal with it?? any advice is greatly welcomed please and thank you xx

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Is this a private rehome or via a reputable rescue?

Have you had a dog before?

If you try and discipline your dog you may find that he shows his displeasure in ways that may not be acceptable to you.

Have you considered having a couple of 1:1s with a reputable trainer who is familiar with bull breeds?

What is the sexual status of this male?

Goblin, kimthecat, StormyThai and 3 others like this.
  3. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Hi and welcome:)
    What happened before this? How did it come about?

How did you find him, ie how did you know he was being rehome, rescue, ad, someone you knew?
    Were all the dogs rehomed or just him?
    How long have you had him?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Hi,
    Rescue dogs go through what is called a "honeymoon" period where you don't really see their full personality right from the start. The move and new home and general disorientation usually makes dogs more subdued than they normally are. As the dog becomes more comfortable in his home, you will see more behaviors that you did not originally see. Often not the best behaviors either. An 18 month old AmBull is going to be an annoying, obnoxious, piece of work anyway, you'll likely see more and more of this.

I would first off, advise you strongly against getting in to a confrontation with him. If you know his play gets rough, don't play. No, seriously, don't engage in play until you have some control over the play and over him. You need to establish a shared language, cues that he knows what they mean and he is motivated to comply with. All of this a good trainer can help you with.

It would be good to know if he was rehomed through a reputable rescue because they could certainly help with finding a trainer and may even offer these services free of charge.
    If he was a private rehome, might be worth finding out who the breeder is, and if they have any advice for you. Good breeders will know their lines, what to expect in adolescence and how best to handle it.

But I must reiterate again, don't get in to a confrontation or a battle of wills. Use management and try to anticipate what is going to be a problem and head it off before it happens. Like avoiding play until you have cues he will comply with, that sort of thing.

5. MissBelle

Hi guys thank you for replying... he has been rehomed from a friends house we picked him up last Saturday..... I've had dogs when I was younger but not recently.... he was the only 1 rehomed the others are only small dogs so can take them with them.

I sat down at my dining room table with my eldest sons girlfriend to do her nail infills and he came and sat next to me growling and barking towards her... I asked him in an authoritive voice to be quiet and he carried on I went to move him and he didn't like it.... we'd been out playing in the garden earlier in the afternoon maybe he was still a little over excited from that still or maybe he just does not like my sons girlfriend (good judge of character neither do I lol) we have had a lot of people in and out the house this evening maybe that has unsettled him too many new faces??

He has been neutered.

6. MissBelle

7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Please proceed with caution.
    You have an adolescent AmBull who has no reason to listen to you, does not understand what you are saying to him, and has no reason to comply. You need to get help from a professional.

Where are you located? We have members that can recommend a good trainer in your area.

In the meantime, I would not be allowing him to greet any guests in the home. If you need to move him from one place to another, use a leash or a short house line, and use treats to encourage him to go where you want him to go.

8. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I would be very careful, I do not understand why if the previous owner can take two dogs with them they cannot take this one? Please do not "disneyfy" your dog with regard to his behaviour with your son's girlfriend; no dog should behave like this to anyone you have in your house.

Today it is her, tomorrow who knows?

I would urge you to get some professional advice

9. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Also I don't think the kids should be playing with him either.
    Nor should they be unsupervised with him.

10. MissBelle

I am in Crawley, West Sussex..... I use treats to get him to obey to commands he sits and gives you his paw he goes to his bed when sent and will wait until you say he can eat his food, he stops and sits at the roadside before crossing he really is the most obedient dog..... I think maybe people popping in and out (totally unexpected) has unsettled him but I've been considering a trainer and will definitely look into it asap.... if anyone does know of a good one in my area their details would be greatly appreciated.

Your advice is greatly appreciated and duly noted... thank you... this is what forums are for help and advice and already you guys seem lovely xx

11. MissBelle

They would never be unsupervised with him I'm not that silly.... they throw his ball for him but I'm always there and he gets bored before they do and goes up the back of the garden and lays down and we come in.

WillowT likes this.
  12. ouesi

ouesi Guest

@smokeybear any ideas?

13. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I didn't know ABs were allowed in the UK. Aren't they 'of type'?

14. ouesi

ouesi Guest

No. AmBulls are not a banned breed.
    Uber helpful response though :Penguin

15. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

There lots of American Bulldogs in the UK as bona fide pets, competing in IPO and other disciplines.

16. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

17. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Ah, I didn't know that. But then I probably wouldn't know one if I saw one, other than 'some sort of bulldog'.

18. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Most people confuse them with boxers IME

kimthecat, StormyThai and ouesi like this.
  19. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I used Sandra at
    Www.Dogsandownersguidanceschool.co.uk when I first got mine , she was very good, reasonable, and experienced with bull breeds. He had similar mouthing issues, along with many others. Alot to be said for ignoring a dog

StormyThai and ouesi like this.
  20. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Not to derail the thread but comments like these really do concern me :(

Rafa, StormyThai, ouesi and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice