Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Amber 6 weeks pregnant

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kitties, Aug 2, 2009.

1. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

hi im new to this forum.

My little girl is having her first (and last) litter of kittens, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is it right I should start feeding her kitten food soon? Also Do I make her up a bed for her to have the kittens, I read a lot they like to choose where they have them but I presume I can then place them somewhere safe all together.

Like I said, any advice about anything to do with this and what to expect in next few weeks will be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Also want to know do we clear up the after birth or do we leave it for her to do it?

3. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Hello...ok..yes she should be on kitten food now...should of been earlier but not too worry as long as shes on it now...

You need to get a box with some newspaper in, if shes 6 weeks then shel prob be nesting soon...get 2 or 3 boxes and place them in different rooms/areas...she may choose to have them somewhere else, but all of mine have had them in the boxes...

When the after birth is away form her, she should eat it..plancenta i mean..but this does not happen in all cases...i pick it up and put it in a bag and then throw away at the end of labour...

Its a very nice experience to go through...and she will tell you when shes ready.. good luck...

4. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Thank you! Getting very excited been reading up on the premium foods, and trawled the pet shops today, came back with hi life kitten food, she doesnt like it grrrr! she likes felix/kitekat etc. Ive also got the JW dry kitten food and Pets at Home dry kitten food samples, so trying her gradually in her normal dry food to see if i can get her to take that, if I can get her to at least take that, and then just give her felix kitten food or the like at least shes getting some goodness.

Also got her a water fountain today so got her spoil. Tried a few beds, just got her a lovely big box, which shes been in a few times, she likes boxes, so heres hoping. If she has them in the floor and doesnt choose a box do we just place them in a box afterwards?

thanks for answering, I appreciate it yours are gorgeous!

5. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

mines expeting her first litter now and i am very excited. This will be the only litter sh is having but it is a unbelivable experience i have had a few cats over my life and all have had kittens. This is a great forum and the people and there advice is great and very helpful keep us up dated and dont forget the pictures any problems just ask them

6. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Thankyou! ive been following you and Poppy do you think tonight is the night? Im very very excited, just want her to be safe. It will be her only litter as well, I think its nice to let them have one litter, and hopefully we have homes for 3. I didnt expect to have any more in her first litter but unless they are big, I think there are more, shes huge!

My first cat was a boy, but when he died, we went cat and dog shelter and met a man who was bringing in a queen with 2 6 week old kittens, he didnt get very far, we brought them all home, kept the little boy and mother, and my neighbour took the little girl. Unfortunately the little boy got knocked over when he 1, we were devasted, we still have his gorgeous mum, but had her done because she had problems with her litter she had 3, but only 2 survived and the last one got stuck, thats why I am a bit nervous for Amber. We got Amber to replace our little boy. So I'm hoping to keep a little boy from this litter.

#6 kitties, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

we moved house a in march and my girl sprinkle never came home i have a friend that has been keeping an eye out for her but no sign. Then my boy cat magic got hit by a car about 2 months ago i was so upset. Then i noticed that my poppy was having kittens and i have decided to keep 1 or maybe 2 depends of i can convince my hubby.

Poppy had a strange nite but still not kitties.

xx

8. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

Hi Kitties, sounds like you have got everything covered so just sit back and wait for the magic to happen. :smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:

Is that Amber in your picture she has the most beautiful markings on her head looks like somebody has got a magic marker and tattooed her a tribal marking lol!!! :eek:hmy::eek:hmy:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice