Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

amazed at ignorance

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Blitz, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I met a lovely staffie yesterday. He is huge, at least twice the size of a proper staffie, with long legs and tbh not really recognisable as being a staffie. I asked her if she was ever worried about him being taken by the police. She looked at me blankly and said why should he be. Another dog owner who was in the conversation said he could not be as he was not a banned breed and he was friendly. She did say she had heard that in city centres it was safer to walk staffies on the lead and muzzled but she did not seem aware of a problem at all.
    I was so surprised. She has another smaller staffie, still quite big but more recognisable and they both come from a breeder who does not agree with smaller dogs and is trying to get them bigger and bigger as that is what they were originally.
    I thought owners might be more aware that there are problems, albeit very unfair ones.

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

This doesn't surprise me. I always assumed the DDA meant that a dog had to be a certain breed, I don't think the general public know what 'type' means in the legal sense with regard to the law, I thought it meant 'type of dog i.e breed of dog' until I read up on it.

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's like the silly blokes I met who tried to boast to me that they tiny old Staffies were actually Pit Bulls :rolleyes: Pillocks :(

4. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Yeah loads of people don't really understand the law on dogs. There are quite a few banned breeds around my area, one is a absolute menace and they all seem pretty ignorant of the law.

I was offered a banned breed, just 3 months old was absolutely beautiful and very sweet personality but its just not worth the risk.

5. MLB

MLB Guest

Milton could possibly come under type but we didn't go out and buy him. We found him along with his sister running about in the street. After calling the dog warden they got reunited with their owner. A month later the owner turns up on my doorstep asking if we could take Milton as she can't cope with the two pups.. We said yes. My husband wanted to keep him anyway.

He is a staffy x American Bulldog so we are told and he does look as though he could be that cross. The dog warden said he could come under type tho but won't know until he is older. His 'sister' looked very pitbull though. We were told by the warden the law has relaxed a little and it's defiantly possible to keep him if he does turn out to be type as long as you abide by their conditions and you are a responsible owner.

6. LauraJane9

LauraJane9 PetForums Senior

Almost don't want to ask due to the title buuuut where are staffies banned? Are they banned in England? Are there any other banned breeds?

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

It's not staffies that are banned, it's dogs that look a certain way. If they fit the description of pit bull type then they can be seized no matter what breed they are.

8. Dizzy Grace

Dizzy Grace PetForums Member

Staffy's aren't banned, but a lot of staffy crosses get labelled as pitbull type dogs and they don't have to be a pitbull to be seized just 'of type'.

There are plenty of large staffy that could be considered pitbull type and although a few cases are well known I don't think it's as big an issue as it could be.

Don't get me wrong, one case is too many and the legislation needs to change, but I don't think it is as common a problem as is sometimes suggested.

ETA On the subject of ignorance, I don't think it is as widely known as people think, same as health tests, dogs still dying every day in pounds and so on aren't known to everybody until they start to look into things.

#8 Dizzy Grace, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  9. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

If your dog, regardless of breed fits certain measurements (those deemed to be pitbull measurement) they can be put down for being 'of type' or have restrictions put on them (muzzle at all times etc), the more your dog looks like a pitbull the more likely they would be to get attention from the authorities and possibly held and measured etc. Many people are trying to breed bigger, larger staffs that have long legs etc. in an attempt to make them look like pitbulls, but they are inadvertently making them fit these measurements which puts their lives at risk.

Now I'm on the topic I think I'll look up what the specs are to make sure my Am Bull x is not 'type'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice