UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last year when blitzen was only a tiny baby i used to let him sleep next to my pillow on my bed as he was very small and i have no heating upstairs and it was freezing cold so i was worried about him
when he was bigger i got him used to sleeping on the floor cos to be honest he is a big dog and even tho if he gets on the bedand he sleeps in the same place i do not sleep well with him there. i am not good with sharing my bed lol
anyway the last couple of weeks he is reluctant to go on the floor when the light goes off and he watches me before i go to sleep, i can see him in the dark lol, also if i have to get out in the night to go to the loo i find him in my warm spot when i get back to my bedroom, this is something hes never done before.
do dogs feel the cold and do you think he is genuinely cold or is he pulling a fast one
i am starting to feel guilty :(

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
I think dogs just have a knack of stealing the warm spot! :D

My house is not cold, but you can bet if you leave your seat, either Dixie or Dave will be on it before you even left the room :lol:

I think just that he was use to sleeping on your bed as a baby that is why he wants to sleep up there.

I have always let the dogs on the bed if I have them in the room at night (unless Dave gets to warm and sleeps on the floor) and Dixie gets under the covers until she gets to warm. Chase will be the same when he gets older although I do take him on the bed with me if I happen to sneak in a nap hehe.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Not sure what breed he is, but check his ears and his paws. If they are cold, or it's 3am, then he probably is cold. Can you give him a bed with sides or a crate?

·
Registered
490 Posts
CJ is built for snow but he will still steal the warm spot if you go to then loo, as hes got a cut paw its just him on the bed tonight but we normally end up with a rottie a mal x and 2 people squeezing into a double bed

CJ and his poorly foot

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hes a springer/collie/lurchur and is pretty hairy lol
he does have a bed and a blanket on the floor but doesn't really use it
i will definately check his ears and paws if i get up in the night, i guess if he is cold he will have to come back to bed with me and i will have to put up with him sticking his nose in my face every time i turn over and face his way lol, cute when he was little but not so cute now
i really couldn't bear it tho if hhe truley was freezing on a night time

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
He might still be chilly if he's slim built and doesn't have much fat. If he's got a bed and doesn't use it, his own fault. ;) I don't let my Grey sleep on the bed, because she wanted to lie with her legs facing me and she'd kick me at night! She used to wake meup at 3 am fidgetting with cold, so I put a thin jumper on her at night.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I am too soft too - and sometime I am rewarded by this

When the dogs were young, we had our kitchen done, and it took FOREVER, and was at the same time as the upstairs of our house, so the dogs and us all slept in the living room on a mattress on the floor for ages, they started off in crates, but we eventually ended up in a big pile.

Now, I maybe let them sleep upstairs once a week (the day before I change the sheets, cos I'm weird like that) and they have their own beds on the floor but I let them up in the morning for a cuddle :)

I think whatever you're happy with is fine, but for me, it was important to have dogs that will sleep wherever I tell them to - not dogs who HAVE to sleep in my room or on my bed. So I can invite them up when I want to - but they don't HAVE to be there at all :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.