Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I too old for University?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Royoyo, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

I have been thinking a lot lately about what I want to do with my life and I have decided that I would like to go back to University. I would like to study Psychology at MMU. The thing is I feel a little old now and not particularly bright anymore! I will be 23 by the time I start studying, isn't that a little old to be a 'fresher'?. Although I certainly do not feel my age, I suppose I still feel about 15 :eek:.

I did go to the University of Loughborough straight after college to study Psychology but I dropped out weeks into it. It didn't feel right to me with the accommodation and the actual uni, I just didn't like it. After that I kind of just stopped trying to do anything with my life and started working at Next and I've had a few jobs since then (most of them were in retail), moved away from home etc. But now I'm back living at home and kind of feel that my life isn't going anywhere and if I don't do something soon then I probably never will!

Has anyone gone back to University at my age? I know i'm not particularly old but I feel old compared to all the other people who will be at Uni. I wouldn't be staying in halls of residence or anything either!

Thank you!

2. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

Its never too late and you are never too old for education.

Ask yourself why you quit last time.and don't make the same mistakes again.

At 23 you certainly won't be the oldest there.good luck.

3. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I was going to say if you feel you need to ask the question then you already know the answer, but by cricky 23 get a grip love. If you want to go to University get packing.

...and I wish you every success.

4. K9Steve

K9Steve PetForums VIP

No it isn't. Although you don't have the "life experiences" people a little older than you are have, you can still bring something into the classroom. Besides, as long as you're still alive, you will always be in the "school of life", so go back and learn what you can and enjoy university life. It's your life, do what you can to better it. :)

Oh, by the way, if your university still has "hazing", watch yourself. I got involved in a fraternity "haze" in which I had to run naked through the campus. Believe me, that wasn't Tarzan swinging through the jungle! :blushing::blush::lol:

5. ClaireLouise

I started studying again when I was 27. I am one year into my degree. Your never too old

6. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

I started my degree when I was 42. It was a 4 year course. I loved every moment of it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

My only regret was not doing it sooner. It was hard work with a husband, two kids, six dogs and three cats to worry about as well. Had I done it when I was unencumbered I could have really entered into uni life.

Go for it, kidda - and don't look back!

7. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Oh no, 23 isn't too late. You are nought but a youngster.

Lots of people take a year out. Then others start one course, then leave and go to another uni to start another course.

You will meet a wide variety of people from different countries and walks of life.

Follow your dreams.

Then you can't go far wrong.

8. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

23 is not too late at all!

I started on a brand new college course when I was 18, which doesn't sound old, but most of the other students were coming from school so were 16, and there is a big maturity difference between a 16 year old and an 18 year old, so I thought I was gonna be the oldest one there - and since it was an animal management course, I thought they'd all be those stereotypical stuck up girly bitchy horsey types (no offence horse people on here - i'm sure you know the type of person I mean lol!) but as it turned out, there was one woman in her late 30's and 3 in their early 20's, so I wasn't the oldest at all! The rest were all 16/17 year olds but we all actually gelled together really well and it was the best 2 years of my life, i'd go back to college tomorrow if I could!

I also considered going to University last year (I am 23 now so was 22 at the time) to continue my animal studies, but decided against it as I am still not sure what I want to do, and most of the fairly 'basic' animal jobs don't require a degree so it would really have been a waste of time and money. Plus I am not very academic and can't motivate myself to work hard enough for Uni. Instead I ended up buying a house which I absolutely love, and now i've got my dogs :) I don't regret my decision one bit, although i'm sure I still would have enjoyed my time at Uni if I had done it - but really I was doing it for the wrong reasons.

9. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

If I had the cash to go to uni now, I would do it in a heartbeat!

I am almost 42, age isnt whats stopping me. Bills, and paying for where I live is whats stopping me right now. If you have the chance, grab it with both hands, and dont give a toss what anyone else thinks. Do it for you - and good luck with your course x

10. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

You're never to old to learn :)

11. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Not in the slightest. The oldest lady doing my degree was in her mid-late 40's. We also had several in their 30's and lots of mid 20's people. Age really doesn't make a jot of difference at University.

12. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

When I was at university there were a couple of ladies in their 40s. I would imagine now with the cost of going there will be a lot more who don't go straight from college/school. I'm in my 40s and doing my second postgraduate degree and don't think anyone is too old to learn.

13. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

never too old. I started at 24 and there were guys in their 40s ony course. (part time)

My OH went back full time at 25 on a 4 yr degree and again, he wasn't alone - or the oldest. At 32 he now wants to go back to do his masters.

Posted from Petforums.co.uk App for Android

14. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

23 you are still a child :D Ideal time to go I would think you can focus on your aims better now

15. owns the beast

owns the beast PetForums Senior

I studied for my degree when I was 29 and finished it when I was 33. There was a mix of students there and whilst the majority were younger there were a group around my age and even older. Given the time and the money I'd go back in a heartbeat to get another degree :)

16. kateh8888

kateh8888 PetForums VIP

Go for it, sounds amazing :)

17. ClaireLouise

I wouldn't agree that at 23 someone is still a child! At 23 I had two children a mortgage and a full-time job.

I personally think it's the ideal time to study. I think I did read somewhere regarding mature students being more successful at studies

18. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

You are never to old to start studying.

I knew someone who was in her early 30's who decided she wanted to be a nurse, (I think she was 34) when I met her she had been in uni for 3 months I think. She had been working as a PA for the boss of some firm for about 10 years and finally had the money to pay for uni. If she can do it, you can do it:thumbup:

19. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

My daughter's bf's mum decided last year to go back to uni and do a nursing degree-she's my age-42 :)

20. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I was 23 when I started studying with the open university there was a guy on the course in his 80's doing maths of all things :001_huh:. You're never too old to study and 23 is hardly old.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice