Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I too heavy to learn to ride?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by Kurlach, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Kurlach

Kurlach Guest

Hi all!

I'm very interested in learning to ride, and have phoned around a few stables and visited some in my area, but am running up against a few brick walls. I'm a 30yr old man, and I weigh about 100kg (16stone). I work out a lot, so most people don't believe me and think I'm closer to 14stone.

Anyhow, my problem is that when stables ask how much I weigh I get an intake of breath and told that they don't train anyone that weight. Short of never working out again, I don't know what to do! I've ridden a horse once and took to it pretty well, so it'd be a shame if this stood in my way.

Is this normal practice? :confused:

2. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:( Sorry but yes alot riding schools do have a weight limit but it's purely because the majority of horses are lightweight so kids can learn to ride, or the adult limit I think is 14 stone. Keep ringing round though because some schools do have heavy weight cobs or clydesdale or shires that are more than able to carry your weight. Where abouts are you?

3. DaisyNLaura

DaisyNLaura PetForums Newbie

I learnt to ride at a school where all they had were heavyweight horses if you keep ringing round you will find somewhere

4. emmalouise1508

emmalouise1508 PetForums Member

I find that a bit strange!! At 16 stone a MW horse could carry you quite comfortably. Don't give up trying.

5. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

my 14.1 haffy could carry you easily too!!! try some other places:)

6. Little Missy

Little Missy PetForums Senior

My pony could carry you! Just look around and I'm sure you'll find somewhere. :smile5:

7. Kurlach

Kurlach Guest

All, thanks for your kind words and encouragement. For those who asked, I am in Essex (so you'd think this would be easy, plenty of stables here).

I shall continue my search :D

8. CavGirl

CavGirl PetForums Junior

Dont take it personally the riding school is just trying to look after their horses! These horses do lesson after lesson all week and carrying the maximum weight takes it out of them! As someone suggested you should probably look for a yard who has more heavy weight breeds that could carry that weight easily! Dont give up keep looking!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

9. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Speaking as someone who is, um, well over the weight limit any riding school would take ...

I think, seriously, that if riding schools don't get their act together over this, eventually they will simply go out of business. Whether they like it or not, the population is getting heavier. Opinions do seem to vary enormously - some private individuals without any apparent axe to grind, and with great expertise in horses, claim that native ponies could carry the weight the OP is quoting and that a heavyweight ought to be able to carry a 25 stone man for a day's hunting. And then there are the riding schools who won't take anyone over 14 stone.

I'd say there is a niche out there for riding schools, trekking centres etc who work on the basis that riders can be heavy and simply buy or (for someone down the line eventually perhaps) breed horses that can carry such people. To say that heavy horses, or perhaps heavy horses crossed with cobs or cobs crossed with mediterranean donkeys, can't take that sort of weight, is surely plain silly. How much did an overfed medieval nobleman in full armour weigh? How much do two people weigh when filmed on a galloping horse in a historical blockbuster? How much weight do the poor donkeys around the mediterranean carry, and for how long, with far inferior food and care than your average riding school horse? Surely the issue is how much carrying of that sort of weight the horse has to do? So, buy the horses, rest them for longer and charge a higher rate for the lessons. There has to be a niche out there for someone, and sooner or later market forces always prevail.

Liz

#9 lizward, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    leashedForLife likes this.
  10. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Hi,

How is your search going? 16stone isnt massively overweight and there are a lot of horses that could carry that weight.

Where in Essex are you? there is a riding school in tilbury called southview, i rode there recently and there is a huge mare there who could carry you easily, in fact she is the horse that most of the blokes ride. Im not sure how good the lessons are though as I have only ever been out on hacks with them. the riding school i used to go to as a child (foxhounds in orsett) had a weight limit of about 18stone when i was there, although things may have changed since then.

I hope you find somewhere!

11. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Having worked and taught in a number of riding schools I have to say I have never been in one that has a weight limit within reason.
    Most men are well over 14 stone so to have a limit of that unless specifically stated only teaching children is a joke.
    Most schools will have at least one weight carrying horse.
    Don't give up there are penty of horses that could carry you so just ring around and you will hopefully find one near you.

12. Kurlach

Kurlach Guest

All, thanks for the kind words and info :) To those who say that I'm not massively overweight, thanks ;) I think the BMI needs a rethink; as I mentioned, I workout 4-6 times a week. I don't drink or smoke, and to look at me most people think I weigh about 13 stone. Problem is, muscle weighs more.

So when I call a Riding School, I can just tell that the person on the other end of the phone is forming a mental image, and it isn't pretty. Unfortunately, work has been incredibly busy of late (the usual, more people let go and yet more work given to those still around), so my search has stalled. I think I got a bit down about it at one point also, but I am hoping that come New Year I will be able to look around again. Strangely enough I'm usually a confident person, but when I walk into a stables full of women I tend to find it a bit unnerving ;) Something to work on!

13. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

it can be quite nerve racking when you are new to it all and dont know what you are doing! your confidence will come when you get used to it. good luck!

14. NutalieHorseCrazy

NutalieHorseCrazy PetForums Newbie

Well at my yard we have a lovely cob who carries this quiet fat woman who is at least 18 - 19 stone and he has no problems galloping off whith her so being only 16 stone shouldnt be any problem for a cob...

Trust me!!!!:D

15. CavGirl

CavGirl PetForums Junior

Just to boost your confidence hun! Woman who are into horses love a man who can ride and if they're looking at you take it as a compliment and play on the fact that your new and ask them advice. woman love thinking they are right and sharing horsey information!

Good Luck and have fun! ;)

16. Kurlach

Kurlach Guest

Thanks for the comments :) I imagine they're more likely looking at me and waiting for me to fall off! To be honest, I liked the atmosphere at the last stables I visited (too bad I moved), the instructor was patient and chatty. And the women treated me gently! ;) So I came away feeling good. If I could find somewhere like that, I'd be happy!

But I have to be honest.. the thought of jodhpurs makes me swallow a little. I need to work on the legs more, else I'm going to look right wally! :)

17. kelseye

kelseye Banned

your weight is no problem if it was a proper riding school then there should be no problem as they should cater for all shapes and sizes.:thumbup1:

18. Jonansi

Jonansi PetForums Senior

Hey-I am a woman and I weigh the same as you and I have always been overweight but have always been able to ride a horse who can easily carry my weight. Took me 10 mins to bring the horse I ride at a local equestrian centre back to trot today! I was more puffed out than he was!lol.

19. Lovely World

Lovely World PetForums Newbie

I learnt to ride at a school where all they had were heavyweight horses if you keep ringing round you will find somewhere

20. Jonansi

Jonansi PetForums Senior

Many hunt masters I have met have definitely weighed a lot more than 16 stone and look at the great british showjumpers from pre 1980's!
    There are riding schools which have a range of different size and breeds of horses and ponies and it's worth searching til you find them rather than attending one that just caters for children.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice