Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I to old fashioned?....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fleur, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I took my daughter to a 13th birthday party sleep over last night. - There had been much debate during the week if she could go as the girls were being allowed a 'limited' amount of alcohol, and wanted to watch 18 horror films. - My daughter wasn't sure herself if she wanted to go My daughter actulaaly said to me she wasn't sure if she wanted to go as she didn't want to drink and hates scary films. - (she's never seen an 18, in fact she's only seen a couple of 15's that I've seen previously and agreed they are ok, and I don't plan to let her any time soon) My girl loves fashionable clothes but I feel she dresses appropriately for her age - well after a few discusions with the parents of the birthday girl (and assurances there would be no 18 or horror films at the party) it was decided she could go to the party -so I go to drop her off and a gaggle of 13 year old girls appear, dressed in teeny shorts, high heels, waist belts with their vest tops pulled as far down as possible to show off their cleavage. And an inch thick of make up and 100 quid hair cuts. The first thing they say to my daughter is are you allowed any alcohol, we've got bicardi:eek: - I turned around and said Im a strict mum and she's not. It left me wondering if I'm out of date?

3 red dogs likes this.
  2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Don't be ridiculous. Of course not. You're being a responsible parent. I would not let my kids if i had any touch any alcohol till 18 and if they were to do it behind my back and i found out about it they would be so grounded, or sent to Brat camp or something lol!

No seriously, you are being a good mum.

3. rona

rona Guest

Oh how refreshing, a parent who is a proper parent. :D:D
    Values I call it, not old fashioned :)

4. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Im shocked the other parents were OK with it!!! not old fashioned just sensible with values!

5. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

Hi Fluer!
    In all honesty, from what you described it sounds like a Tart Fest to me, and good for your daughter for saying she didn't wanna drink. Like you, i do wonder what ever happened to the younger generation, you see the girls here tarted up with make up that i can only describe as applied with a trowel, skirts up to there knickers ( if there wearing any) and chests like photo finishes in Zeppelin races protruding from a skimpy top that aint big enuff for a robin to nest in, all wandering the streets at ungodly hours of the day and night, trying to get into pubs and clubs!
    On a brighter note though, if your daughter did surcome to the evils of the drink, i can only hope she has a raging hangover, and will never touch the stuff again.

What ever happened to Barbie Dolls, Lassie Films, and bed at 9pm!!!!

6. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

omg, you was totally right!

i dont even have anymore to say on the matter coz i dont want to get myself wound up lol

7. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

OOh no your not Fleur!..i would have been the same as you...:eek:

Drink at 13???....what did the parents of this girl think :eek:ut: i mean c'mon 18 yeah but not 13!!! not wonder the worlds kids are becoming alcoholics these days..:eek:ut:

My 13 son asked my one day to have a whats it called.... Wicked something at local shop i said no way with that "dont ever aked me that again" look..:shocked:
    And his reply was All his mates drink it!...:eek:

I will deff not letting my sons drink anything untill there ready..:D

8. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Its so difficult at this age not had girls but 2 boys and you worry just the same, they need to have some rope but just how much incase they hang themselves. . . . . . . . . oh to be a parent!!

9. Fleur

Thanks guys - I sometimes wonder if I'm to strict:rolleyes: - My kids of been allowed a shandy or a lemonade and wine when I'm having a glass, And I know in a year or 2 she'll be sneaking a drink but I thought 13 is far to young. But I was shocked how the girls were dressed and there is no way I want my 13 year old watching 18's.

10. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Of course you're not! You're being a responsible parent and a good Mum :)

My son is almost 16 and declined to go out with his friends after their Prom night as he knew the majority of them would be drinking. He got some ribbing because of it but stuck to his guns. Turned out one of his friends got left on a highway drunk and was picked up by the police the following morning :eek:
    He also refuses to go camping with them as he knows what will happen. I'm very proud of him :)

Alcochol is introduced too soon in my opinion to a lot of childrens lives :mad:

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

vicky i'm already wound up. Stupid parents of her friend!!!

If you allowed this to happen, god knows what would have happened to your child.

Seriously, dressing up like that and drinking alcohol....the 18 movies doesn't bother me so much because i watched terminator at 5 so doesn't bother me in the slightest lol -ssssh don't tell my parents lol - anyway...yeah that, leads to danger in kids. What if these kids got drunk and snuck out of the house - that just advertises danger. what if your daughter got raped or something?

You did the right thing.

Honestly why do kids feel the need to grow up so quickly? Why can't kids just be what they are and be kids? So you're 13....deal with it. Don't think its the age where you have to do things 'big' girls do.

12. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I don't think you are old fashioned at all. When I was about 13 I was allowed a small glass of wine with Sunday dinner. I will be doing the same with my boys.

At my 15th birthday sleepover we did get Scream to watch. I think we watched about 15 minutes before we turned it off as we were far too scared. We then told ghost stories!!

I hate seeing all these young girls wearing next to nothing. I just feel like shouting "Put some clothes on"

13. animallover111

Alcohol.....at 13....:eek:...your not been old fashioned its called being a GOOD parent.....my son is also 13....and i would never allow this..though like your daughter my son has no interest in these things....my son is sport mad and the most important thing to him is his rugby...he has a scholarship with Leeds Rhino's.....he gets called boring and a mummy's boy.....but i know how lucky and proud of him i am.....i always know where he is(usually rugby trainig!!!).....he has freinds at school who are smoking....:eek:..and their parent know....:eek:

Fleur your doing a fab job......

14. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

That annoys me too. Fair enough if they are secretly smoking and you have no idea you can't do anything about it. But when the parents know and buy them cigs. :eek:ut:

15. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I agree you did the right thing.
    When I was invited to sleepovers I knew my friends would all be drinking and getting drunk, so I never went...
    However, at that age, well from about 14 my mum let me have the occassional alcoholic drink, but I only had 1 and it was in her own home.
    I wouldn't say my mum is a bad mother though, still to this day I only drink 1 alcoholic drink every so often. I don't like getting drunk, I don't see the point, I think half of it is to do with my dad being an alcoholic though, but still, drink doesn't interest me that much.

16. Fleur

Before you all get to wound up - the parents were there all the time. It was just girls and only a limited amount of alcohol was available.
    However, I don't want to encourage a culture of drinking to get drunk, which I think this does.
    I've tried to teach my eldest to drink responsibly, and I hope I got the balance right, and that did involve some alcohol under 18, sort of Mediterranean style a bottle of wine around a table of food with a group of friends socializing - not out necking as much vodka as you can before the club closes ;)

17. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

No because I'm 13 and I hate people like that, I think they're too old for what they can manage they just want to be like all the big models and celebrities, you're like my mum. So I like you.
    :)

Fleur likes this.
  18. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Aw Jess you're so cute!

19. Fleur

Thx Jess - that means a lot. I think my girl must be like you :)
    I think girls like that are not as mature as you and my daughter.

20. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

No you aren't old fashioned at all, that's awful that 13 year old girls are drinking alcohol and dressing like that.:eek: My daughter is 17 1/2 years old now and she has only recently started to have a bit of alcohol on a sleepover party now and again. You stick to your guns, your daughter will thank you for it.;)

scosha37 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice