UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been quite unwell mental health wise, particulary bad since Friday, I had a visit to A+E on Monday and was assessed by the crisis team and it was arranged someone would come and visit me everyday, so they came yesterday and i have just had a the visit from them again (a differant women this time)

She was asking me about alfred and woody and what theyre like, and then she asked me how i manage to walk them.. I said I took them out on monday before i was taken into hospital, but they havent been out yesterday and have yet to go out today due to the physical symptoms i am suffering with.

She started having a go at me saying i was neglecting them, bearing in mind they have each other, access to the garden 24/7 endless love and games and tonnes of toys plus kongs etc.

She then went on the threaten to call the RSPCA because it was a welfare issue... great thats all i need :(

Am I that bad because they havent been out for possibly 2 days?
I dont want to loose Alfred, ive already got my mum threatening to sell him :crying:

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
That's terrible! Isn't she supposed to be supporting you? The RSPCA wouldn't care less as long as your dogs weren't kept in squallor and weren't being fed.

During the Foot and Mouth epidemic I couldn't walk my two dogs at all as we lived in the country and there was nowhere to take them. After the first couple of days they stopped asking to go out, and quite honestly, they really didn't seem to miss their walks at all. Like yours, they had the garden to play in.

Although dogs need exercise, there are many ocassions when dogs aren't able to be exercised as much as we'd like.

I'd think about reporting the woman and asking for her not to call again as she is adding to your stress levels.

Dogs need food, water, and love. They can do without the occasional walk!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Bless you, not taking them out for 2 days in the grand scheme of things is really not a big issue, my boys have gone without walks before. I'm pretty sure the RSPCA wouldn't give a monkeys anyway. You obviously love your dogs and I can't imagine how saying that to you is supposed to help you it would stress me out if someone threatened me with that.

Just concentrate on yourself and getting better x

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
I must be awful too then as Spen hasn't had a proper walk in days. Mine's coz I'm expecting a seizure. Like your two he's had the equivalent of the garden (grassy area directly outside the flat) lots of training, games and plenty of attention. I don't think it's a welfare issue if it's short term. I think if they were going to spend the rest of their lives never leaving the house and garden it would be another matter in both our cases.

I seriously doubt the RSPCA will do anything because your dogs haven't been walked for 48 hours. They don't do much about real welfare cases.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going to try and take them out for a short walk today, even if a small walk around the block.. They arent even bothered about going out as we never had a strict walk routine anyway, so some days we would go for numerous short walks sometimes we would have one long morning walk and one long evening walk..

They aren't particuly focused on walks, theyre happy playing with each other and causing havoc lol

She just really stressed me out the way she was really rude about it... not asif im hurting them or refusing to let the out the house or leaving them shut in theyre crates all day

·
Follow me on @popuppetstop on insta
4,131 Posts
no you are not bad at all!! i would ring up and complain about this women is not fair if you are in a vulnerable position and she is attacking you this way!
I haven't taken Cali out today and in all honesty i don't plan too i don't feel 100% so instead i have two kongs in the freezer waiting for her when she wakes up she will have some little bits in her wobbler and we will play games instead!
don't listen to the witch!
hope you feel better soon :)

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Agree with beth and bessie. What is the woman doing working in that field if she is going to say things like that, if they are there to help they could see if they can help get someone to walk them, if not then it is not in their remit surely to say such things that will only upset you when you are in a vulnerable state anyway :incazzato:

But anyway not walking them for a few days wont hurt, you can exercise them just as well indoors and in the garden. I have been doing the same with Ginge, a few days of very short walks and lots of play and training at home to try and reduce her stress levels, let them call the RSPCA on me :mad:.

I am sorry to hear you are feeling bad and that woman needs a kick up the rear end for upsetting you even more, although I am sure as soon as you are feeling up to taking them out it will help you to feel better even as well if it is only a little way.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
How ridiculous and unkind, It really doens't do any harm for them not to be walked for a few days here and there as long as they have exercise and interaction I don't believe it's harmful at all if anything it can be beneficial for them to be accustomed to it, in case of having a contagious illness, surgery etc.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
If you feel up to it I'd be putting in a complaint about this woman as well. You can do it through PALs and they will help you, that's what they're there for.

I can really sympathise with your situation. I have MH issues as well and ours sometimes miss out on being walked as it's difficult for me to do it on my own sometimes and my OH can't always fit in going out with his work schedule, especially in winter. The dogs really don't care, they're happy, well loved, played with and in the grand scheme of things a few days here and there is going to do them no damage whatsoever.

As others have said the comment about the RSPCA is just an empty threat, do your best to ignore it.

I am absolutely seething on your behalf, anyone with half a brain knows how having pets is often so beneficial to those of us with MH problems and if the dogs are happy and contented (which I've no doubt at all your are, you sound like a fab owner) then it's none of her business.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
2 days or even a week or two realisticly without proper proper walks wont hurt them.

When Millie sliced her paw after 3 days she was no longer as drugged up and felt fine. She was constantly told to 'go to bed' :rolleyes: and driven to the field for 5 minutes pee break. She had no real walks for well over a week.

I found as long as Millie has company and attention she isnt to bothered. She will slowly get jumpier and bouncier as the days go on BUT if she has the chance to toilet when required I dont see how its cruel.

I find i shocking someone who is meant to be supporting you said such things :mad:

Is there a way of reporting your 'support' worker? As quite frankly it sounds like a very stressful situation which you could do without right now :(

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
I have been quite unwell mental health wise, particulary bad since Friday, I had a visit to A+E on Monday and was assessed by the crisis team and it was arranged someone would come and visit me everyday, so they came yesterday and i have just had a the visit from them again (a differant women this time)

She was asking me about alfred and woody and what theyre like, and then she asked me how i manage to walk them.. I said I took them out on monday before i was taken into hospital, but they havent been out yesterday and have yet to go out today due to the physical symptoms i am suffering with.

She started having a go at me saying i was neglecting them, bearing in mind they have each other, access to the garden 24/7 endless love and games and tonnes of toys plus kongs etc.

She then went on the threaten to call the RSPCA because it was a welfare issue... great thats all i need :(

Am I that bad because they havent been out for possibly 2 days?
I dont want to loose Alfred, ive already got my mum threatening to sell him :crying:
My dear, first of all you contact this creature's boss and report her. Secondly you tell her that the RSPCA have no authority whatsoever and they only care if the dogs have shelter, food and water. Also tell her she may as well phone the munchkins from munchkinland.

And do not under any circumstances let her into your house again. I cannot stand people who abuse their authority like this; don't have her again, phone her supervisor and insist on having someone else.

You are not neglecting your dogs. Mine don't go out if I am ill and they very often don't go out in the summer because it is too warm for them. It is not essential that they have a walk every single day; it won't kill them to go without for a while.

·
Super Moderator
29,624 Posts
You are not a bad person & I wish I could say I am shocked by this woman's attitude but I'm not:( I would really report her if I was you, casually bandied words like that can have further detrimental effects on people with mental health issues. I'm sure the dogs are just as happy to have playtime together & lots of love:)

This reminds me of my mental health 'nurse' about 8 years ago, who told me that I should 'take up a hobby' to cure my severe depression:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,241 Posts
Well, you def arent a horrible person and I agree with everyone about reporting her! She is clearly in the wrong job if she thinks that scaring people in a vulnerable state and making them feel worse about themselves will help at all!:mad: The RSPCA def will not give a flying **** even if you never walk your dog....they have genuine physical cases of neglect taking up all their time!
I never walk my lot one day a week (between nightshifts) and if I really havent been sleeping and feel like poop then sometimes its 2 days. As long as you make up for it the rest of the week then I dont see the problem. ;)

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
The RSPCA, or any organisation, won't be concerned about your dogs not being walked every day. It's a ridiculous threat and if I were you I'd be complaining to this visitors manager, asking they never visit again if this is the level of 'support' they offer

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
My blood is boiling reading this.

Please take no notice of this woman OP. She is meant to be supporting you when you're at your most vulnerable, how dare she add extra pressure and worry. If you feel able I think it would be well worth submitting a formal complaint about her behaviour.

Don't worry about the RSPCA, they are hopeless at sorting out genuine cruelty cases let alone a non-issue like your dogs not being walked for a couple of days. Even if they came to the door you're under no obligation to open it to them, they wear the uniform but have no more powers than you or I without a court order.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What a cow, I to would put in a complaint, I have mental health probs, it was my dogs that kept me going. Hope you feel much better soon (((hugs)))

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You are not a bad person & I wish I could say I am shocked by this woman's attitude but I'm not:( I would really report her if I was you, casually bandied words like that can have further detrimental effects on people with mental health issues. I'm sure the dogs are just as happy to have playtime together & lots of love:)

This reminds me of my mental health 'nurse' about 8 years ago, who told me that I should 'take up a hobby' to cure my severe depression:rolleyes:
Sounds abit like a doctor I once saw, told me to lose weight and ride a bike and I'd feel better. I don't see him anymore :rolleyes:

Complain to who's in charge, honestly how can you start to feel better if some numpty makes you worry more

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Please, perhaps she'd like to see the dogs around here, the Cocker Spaniel and Terriers who get taken for a walk a couple of times a YEAR. The Spaniel owners work all day and don't come home for lunch, the Terrier owners don't even let them in the garden unless they're on a lead.

Oh, and the Staff owner who has given up on daily walks, and on the blue moon when he does take it for a walk, it's not on a lead.

What a silly cow!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.