Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am i over reacting?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Scabbers, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Scabbers

Scabbers PetForums Senior

Ok we are currently painting our house so my dog goes to stay at friends for the weekend as its gloss and oil based paints and it tends to make the dog sick within a couple hours.

So I really appreciate the fact they do take him. Plus they take him to play with a friends dogs about the same age which I sadly cannot provide as I don't no any dogs.

BUT I would like to be the only one that feeds him. I obviously can not when he sleeps over theirs but I really want to reserve feeding him for me. :(

He is a loves anyone dog and would probably lick any burglar to death.

Plus why does he play with his toys at their home but shows no interest at mine? And he never really wags his tail at mine any more, even when I talk to him yet he will round there?

Should I accept the fact he will go off with just anyone?

Not really sure on what this post is about lol :eek: just felt the need to talk about it :(

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I have to be honest - all my dogs, past and present, have been incredibly loyal and I think I'd find it a real struggle having a dog like that who would be happy to go off with anyone :eek: But at the end of the day, there is not much you can do about it - and perhaps you are reading into things too much, I'm sure he'll be happy to be back with you soon.

3. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

How old is he?

Reason I ask is because Lucky was like that up until about 2 years ago. She would go off with anyone and I thought she didn't like me :eek: that's all changed now and she is very loyal. She's quite reserved with people she doesn't know and if we visit relatives and I leave the room she will whine for me.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

McKenzie was like Lucky - up until about 18 months/2 years she was perfectly happy with anyone, but she's progressively become more loyal. She's still happy to be with anyone she knows well, but she's not just anyone's anymore.

5. Kinetikat

Kinetikat PetForums Newbie

I agree - it's a maturity thing, Scabbers! Try not to take it to heart. ;p

6. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

What breed is he and how old? I think Spen would go off with pretty much anyone to be honest. He certainly did at 9 months old, no hesitation coming with us despite the fact we were complete strangers. It doesn't really bother me to be honest, it's just how he is.

Perhaps your dog is picking up on your anxieties and reacting to them.

7. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Sorry I'm a bit confused - how can you feed him if he's staying with your friends?

With regard to your dog being so friendly with other people: how much training do you do with your dog? The more you do, the stronger your bond will probably be. My Lab adores people, he's never happier than when meeting new people, but as time has gone on, and we've done lots of training together, our bond has intensified.

It's nice to have a friendly dog, don't feel bad about it :) Just put more work into your relationship with your dog - what breed is he?

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I don't think it's bad that your dog will settle at someone else's house - you know that he is fine being left and you know that in an emergency you would be able to have someone come and look after him and he would go with them happily.

9. Scabbers

I have a 9 month old lab lol :eek:

10. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Lol, well they're not exactly known for being aloof with strangers I'm afraid.

I say Spen would go off with anyone but I'm not really sure he would. He loves to meet and greet people but is happy to come away from them with me, never hesitates. I don't think it'd take much to persuade him to go with someone though. I could likely hand my neighbour his leash and he'd happily go with her.

11. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

LOL LOL how did I know you were going to say Lab :D

I think one of the loveliest things about Labs is that they are so happy to meet people, so interested in people. Labs are typically really sociable, so I think you will have to accept this as a breed trait BUT you will probably find that as your dog gets older, he will become slightly more discriminating :)

DOGLESS also makes a vital point, I think. Trust me - you do not want a dog that is miserable without you.

12. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

My sister's dog is like that, he'll happily go off with anyone which she gets a bit miffed about but the moment he sees her he really wants to get to her as soon as possible. So, although she doesn't see the side of him when he's desperate to get to her (because once he's with her he doesn't appear too bothered), he is more loyal than she thinks.

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

When I had collies and shelties they were much more one man dogs but the poodles love everyone and would not care if they never saw me again. If you chose a lab you must have known it had those traits.
    It does sound as though your friend interacts well with your dog. What do you mean when you say your dog never wags his tail at your house. That sounds rather sad but surely not strictly true.

14. Scabbers

Well he whines when i leave the room and sticks to me like glue when he is offlead and would probably rather stick to me on a walk (i think).

If he saw me run away he would run after me rather then stick with a friend (i think).

I do training with him. Having issues on a walk so taken it down to basics again. Heel against leg and will stop if he moves from that position and reward. Now he starts whining his head off when we stop so i stand there for like 2 minutes waiting. He nos im the only one that lets him off when we go so he barrels ahead to get there faster :eek:.

Plus i do lots of tricks on a walk, at home plus at my friends last night. I had let this slip and i am carrying on with it now.

He goes mad when he sees me in the morning but if you just talk to him throughout the day he will swish his tail a few times but thats about it. Unless playing then his tail wags....

I tend to keep him in a calm state of mind in our house as it is rather a small house and he can easily go skidding into stuff and get hurt. So he goes from 0 to a 100 in a second when he goes to my friends and is so hyper.

15. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

At this moment in time I would kill for a dog that would behave like that
    I have broken my ankle, two people have tried walking my Golden Retriever Willow for me people she knows and loves but she refuses to walk, just sits her bum down and if they let her off the lead she runs back to the car.

I do however understand and remember having a conversation with someone about Goldens and how she didn't seem to fully bond with me until she was about two and they said theres was the same

16. Scabbers

Up until about 2 month ago he was mine and only mine. He would always prefer me. If i walked behind my friend/husband whilst he was on the lead he would constantly turn around and try to get back to me.

BTW because of his skin complaint he is being bathed everyday with tea tree oil OR anti dandruff dog shampoo containing MSM and i have just ordered some need oil and vanila shampoo and ACV to use on him so he thinks im a withc when i do that. He hates bathes.

Maby because im retraining his leash work and bathing him every day? Why wont he play with his toys at mine but will at hers though?

17. babycham2002

Maybe he is more relaxed
    Lets face it being bathed every day, between eating and sleeping doesnt leave much time for playing

What is his skin condition if you dont mine me asking? are the baths as prescibed by a vet? a friends dog has to have weekly or twice weekly episooth baths, every day does seem excessive
    what else have you tried to relieve the condition?

18. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Perhaps your your friend is less strict with him? bit like when children from a divorced family go for a weekend visit with the other parent, they get spoiled because they want the child to like them and have more fun than at home?

19. Scabbers

I do play with him. After about an hour after getting up its play time till he zonks out.Play with him several times during day and on a walk he gets a stick/ball or lazer pen to play with.

He has seborrheic dermatitis. He is on antihistamines from vets and being bathed when needed (usually everyday) to moisterise his skin. I bath him when he gets dry skin. If i dont he scratches himself and causes skin infections. Currently working with the vet to find a cause IF there is one. Sometimes one cannot be found :(.

She deff is not as strict. We ignore him for whining for attention but she talks to him in a baby voice when he whines. That aggravates me sometimes.

Is whining for attention a bad thing? It appears to me like the spoiled todler thing to do. Because he started doin it on walks now. Whenever i stop, even for 10 secs he whines his head off. I dont move till he stops though.

20. babycham2002

Did the vet say use the shampoos you are using ?
    I would have thought they would be far too drying
    and instead use something like episoothe

Im just confused because in your first thread on this he was getting weekly baths and now its up to daily which suggests to me the problem is getting worse not better

Antihistamines are not proven to work on dogs in the same way that they work on humans, they may only be successful in 50% of cases
    They didnt help my boys seasonal allergies at all

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice