Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I mad getting a second dog???

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mstuarty, Jan 5, 2012.

1. mstuarty

mstuarty PetForums Newbie

Hi People,

Am I mad getting a second dog with another kid on the way. I have Barney my cocker spaniel love him to death. Got him last new years for my young son. Now there is another child due in the summer and I still want another dog for Barney.

But will 2 dogs running around with a new baby be just too much!!!

2. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

I'm thinking about getting a second dog, a giant one too, either a Great Dane or Newfoundland.
    Rocky seems lonely without Jet and he's just young so I think its a good idea.

However, the thought of a puppy and a baby...you must be brave!

3. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

Having done the baby and new puppy thing, I can safely say "yes, it'll be too much", especially since we are talking teeny tiny baby in your case. My son was 10 months when Terence moved in and it was and still is hard! Unless you get the new dog tomorrow (which I wouldn't recommend. hasty decisions and all that), I'd say wait.
    Congrats on the new baby, by the way. :)

4. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Another one who would say wait. Having a new baby is such a hectic time as it is and the emotional ups and downs are likely to affect everyone, especially a new addition. In fact I would wait until the stress of having a toddler is over. It's worth waiting to ensure you do the best for everybody and everything concerned.

5. TabithaJ

TabithaJ PetForums Senior

Not 'mad' but the only thing that occurs to me is: one of the biggest reasons why dogs end up in rescues is because well meaning parents cannot cope with a new baby AND a new puppy :)

So may be an idea to wait just a bit - and the thought of the new dog will be something for you to look forward to during those times when you're having to go without sleep etc 'cause of the new baby :)

6. terencesmum

Also, I can COMPLETELY understand your desire to have a dog. I felt bereft the whole time we didn't have one. I would say, even though I class myself as a keen dog owner (obsessed, my husband would say :eek: ), I have found it very hard. It is like having a third child, albeit one that will listen to you. :D ;)

Just thought, I'd add that :eek:

7. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

let me just tell you..... we've had a second pup for nearly 4 weeks now and trying to cope with a 2 year old gsd and a now 12 weeks old gsd is almost like having a baby it feels. i've not had any babies yet (got to work a little harder on the mr man for that one) but my said that having one was fairly easy going, having two felt like having 3! so maybe deal with some human wees and poos before you've got doggy ones coming out your ears as well. i can't imagine how someone would have time to give a puppy everything they need with a new baby and visa versa. give it another year. you're not mad, just clearly ultra ultra ultra boody-aaaaaand maybe a teeny bit mad hehehe

8. Obzocky

Obzocky PetForums Member

I would say that adding another dog to the family at this point in time would be ill advised. Personally. It can be done and sometimes it's easier than us worry worts like to make out, but if there is no real need to add another dog at this point in time then give yourself some time to work on having a baby, young child and a single dog first.

I'd wait until everyone had a chance to settle down and grow up a little bit before getting another dog. There's no real rush, even if we have an overwhelming desire to give in to our wants as soon as possible :).

#8 Obzocky, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  9. YellowLab

YellowLab PetForums Senior

we got our 1st lab when I was 6 months pregnant and there was no problems whatsoever with coping with the both of them but both baby and dog were sooooo laid back it was unreal! We got our 2nd lab when our daughter was 16-18 months (I cant remember exactly) and again no problems. We then got our 3rd lab when our daughter was just over 2yrs and although walks became a problem as I just couldt take 3 big dogs, a pram and a baby all at the same time, it was ok in the house. The only thing was that I seemed to constantly be out with the dogs and it left not much time with my daughter so that HAD to change.

So all in all its do-able but soooo time consuming that you wont know which way to split yourself first! Also I do recall times when the dogs started playing very rough and loud in the kitchen while my daughter wanted something to eat (shouting at me!), the phone was ringing and I had just got out the shower so was sopping wet! I didnt know which to sort out first and it all just got a bit overwhelming sometimes

10. terencesmum

Just another word of caution here. MOST puppies aren't that laid back and will require some (read a lot of) attention. And MOST babies aren't laid back. In fact, my 2nd was a nightmare. Never slept for more than 3 hours etc. So it's best to be prepared for the worst rather than assume everything will be hunky-dory.
    Also, I'm just jealous you managed all that with a toddler in tow. ;)

11. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I can't imagine my life with just one dog, it drives me mad just having one now but i'm lucky i can look after my neighbors dog so often to stop me getting another one (not getting another as i'm due to emigrate and one dog is expensive as it is).

Poisongirl may come in here but she manages a young lad and little baby girl with 3 dogs (sometimes more) so it can be done but it's allot of hardwork.

12. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

It depends on how you cope with a new baby and what your energy levels are. I raised four kids and always had more than two dogs, fostered some along the way too. I found the dogs amused themselves at times when I was busy and always laid together so I didn't find it a problem at all. The school trips were a great way of exercising them as we'd walk through the park and lots of children knew our dogs and would ask when we'd get another to find a new home for and if they could have it, lol!

If there is any chance of post natal problems like depression then I'd say no but if not you may find the dog you have now is more settled with a doggy friend around. :)

13. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

Whether its the right thing to do or not is down to the individual...some people find it difficult to cope with, hence so many dogs ending up in rescue (not that I believe people try hard enough but thats another arguement :rolleyes:), while others thrive on the challenge and find their family becomes all the more happier and complete, I was in a similar situation and the latter was so true for me personally.

Some years ago I had a young Bernese Mountain dog, a 3 year old toddler and a new born daughter and still took on a 3 year old rescue Newfoundland....then the following year my relationship with my husband failed and we seperated, I just got on with it on my own and would never have been without my 2 bears....they were my best buddies and wonderful companions for my 2 children, I couldn't have been content to be honest and I look back at those days as the happiest I have ever been in my life.

This is a question only you can answer, go with what you feel deep down....whatever you decide I wish you all the best for the future :)

#13 LisaZonda, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  14. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

I agree with all the caution others have posted - and also remember that some puppies will be easier than others - we've got a cocker spaniel who demanded constant attention when he was very young and even at 8 months old I think it would be difficult to manage both him and a baby, although it would probably be doable.

Other puppies may be more docile and relaxed, so it would be manageable caring for both them and a baby, but you won't know what your puppy will be like till you get him/her! I know that I wouldn't want to risk it! (I can totally understand you wanting another dog though - if my flat was bigger I'd definitely be planning on getting a friend for Sherlock in a year or so)!

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Considering how many dogs look for new homes when a baby comes along I would say beware. And the fact you have had to ask probably means it is not right for you.

I cant even remember how many dogs I had when my daughter was a baby - probably 2 but maybe 3. I found I was home much more as I was tied down with the baby so had heaps of time. But I was more fussy about keeping the house clean and I think maybe a pup would have been a bit much from that point of view. also if you are changing nappies or bathing or feeding you cant rush the puppy outside so it would make house training a bit fraught and frustrating. So down to the individual and what you can cope with but probably not the greatest idea unless you can get the house training bit out of the way before the baby comes aloong.

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I've done it and didnt think twice - all worked perfectly well. With of course the dark days when you ask yourself "Why"????

There are lots of ads etc these days, dogs in rescue's as a result of it not working. For me, it will be like the baby, you take it on, you do it justice. :D:D

Just make sure you are ready for the pitfalls and "man" enough to deal with them. It will certainly enrich your life and bring plenty of enjoyment. Like you, I had one dog already and in lots of respects, that's a help - can be a hindrance too :D:D:D:thumbup1:. But doing lots of things for 2 is no more than for 1. E.g. walkies:thumbup1:

Good luck with your decision:D

17. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

As much as I love my dogs and would have more, I wouldn't choose to have a puppy at the same time as a baby. I can imagine having a baby would be a full time job, and having a new puppy is also a full time job [Iv done the new puppy thing 3 times in the last 3 years! and I can tell you its hard enough, without adding a baby to the mix :)

18. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

My parents had 4 children, I was really young & my brother was 5 when I was born and pretty hyper/naughty, & we had 2 GSD's, one was a rescue, a Chihuahua, rabbits, many birds, and other pets that I can't remember.

It all muddled along nicely. :)

19. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

I have had babies and I have had puppies. Both was exhausting.I can not imagine being able to do well at both at the same time.

I do think having a second dog is good though.

20. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

I had 2 dogs and a horse when I had my babies many moons ago and I wont pretend it was easy because it was very hard work:(
    Puppies and babies take alot of looking after and time:Yawn:

Maybe get a new pup once baby is a little older and you have more time to enjoy them all;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice