Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I Just Being Over Protective?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by HighlandQuine, Jul 17, 2009.

1. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

Okay, so I have a problem and would really welcome some advice. I'm not sure if I'm being over cautious or just plain crazy!

Hubby's boss has a caravan, we've been there before, it's in a lovely spot right beside the beach, very quiet. They've asked us to go up for a few days and to bring Bailey/

They have 2 Westies, one 5 (male) and one 3 (feamle), and a miniture daschund age one (female). Now, our Bailey is 8 and a half months old and weighs just over 4 stone, he's huge! These other dogs are tiny, especially the mini daschund, she's smaller than any other dog I've ever seen!

The dogs have not met before so they'd be meeting on their territory not neutral. Bailey is very, very excited around other dogs, I mean seriously excited. He pulls non stop to get to them and assumes all of them want to play. His way of playing is to jump up and wrestle, he's rough but all fun so far.

So I don't want to go and stay on a pretty small caravan with 4 adults and 4 dogs that have never met before. Bailey would have to be kept on the lead the whole time because he'd just crush these other dogs he's so big so I'm just seeing a disaster waiting to happen.

Hubby disagrees and says all will be fine and they'll all get on and that I'm just refusing to try it and that I'm being over protective.

The last thing I want is for there to be any problems that lead to further problems with Bailey and other dogs in the future and I just can't see how this is going to be a manageable situation, he'll just pull the entire time and it'll be no fun for anyone, especially him.

We've had him four months now and he's doing great, goes to training, got his Bronze Good Citizen Award but everything he knows goes right out the window when he sees another dog, he listens to nothing.

What do you think? Have I gone in to over protective mummy mode or what?

And sorry for the long post! :)

2. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Yourgifts Ourgifts PetForums VIP

Hi i don't you are being over protective at all, is there any chance that the dogs could meet up before the hol.? to see if they get on..as Sky gets on with most but there is some he just does not like..and totally agree you don't want to spoil you hol and Baileys as well..Hope it works out and everyone has a great hol..;)

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I would want them to meet before the holiday - if they don't get on in such a small space it would be very difficult top manage.
    Don't be over worried about the size difference, my friends Lab is 6 months and comes to play at ours and Lilly (who is only 9lbs) tells him in no uncertain terms to leave her alone and he does listen although he is really excitable and he plays with Zipper instead(who is only 18lbs).
    Zipper loves playing with big dogs he has a friend he meets in the park occasionally who is the biggest bouncy entire boxer I've ever met.

4. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

My ridgeback x is very excitable, so I totally understand! The disadvantage I have is because he is looks a bit like a staffi/pit, people are not so understanding when he wants to play.

I think he will be fine. He will probably be very excited at first, but if you ensure he has a really long walk and he meets the dogs AWAY from the caravan, then you won't get that explosion whilst you are there. If you keep your dog tired, then I don;t see it being a problem.

x

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I cant think of anything worse than having all those dogs in a caravan. I imagine you are going to have to keep yours in the car or tied up outside most of the time. Where is he going to sleep. I would definitely meet them before you go and make sure the other people understand the size of your dog.

6. HighlandQuine

Thanks for the replies! :)

We can't get the dogs together beforehand as hubby's boss is already up at the caravan.

I'm so relieved to know that it's not just me that thinks they would need to meet beforehand and that it sounds nightmarish all being cramped in a caravan, it's not my idea of fun at all! :eek:

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

No, you're being sensible, not over protective. The dogs must meet before you go, ideally a few times, and get on reasonably well together.
    Could you take a tent with you to put up beside the caravan and move into with your dog if things didn't go too well?

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Are these other dogs crate trained and does Bailey sleep in a crate?
    Get your oh to explain how big and exitable Bailey is, and make sure that if they don't all get on, or need space away from eachother that Bailey is not going to be the only one to be removed. Just because of his size does not mean that the other dogs wont bug him, you may find that he wants peace from them! lol

Taking a tent would be a good idea but do you really want to exclude yourself and Bailey if having all the dogs in the caravan together is not great?

Can you ask them to meet you away from the caravan to get the dogs to meet, maybe so you can walk all the dogs together back to the caravan?

And get your oh to agree you can leave if you think it is having an effect on Bailey.

x

9. HighlandQuine

Bailey is crate trained and uses his crate all the time, he loves it. The other dogs aren't crate trained, they have the run of wherever they are. We've met the dogs before and they're lovely wee things but the oldest male can be a bit grumpy. Problem with the crate thing is Bailey's crate is too big to fit in our car! LOL!

I just don't see this happening at all right now. I think it's maybe something we could work towards in the future, like getting the dogs together and see how they get on a few times on neutral territory and then if they do all get on maybe we could think about going to stay then but not right now.

I feel so much better about this now, you guys have really made me feel like I'm not losing it!

Thanks again, I appreciate it! :)

10. minizoo

minizoo PetForums Junior

i honestly dont see a problem if its all done right. for example meet up with all dogs ten mins away from caravan and let them all meet/run around and then walk back. if the dogs are all out running in the day then they will all be too tired for any jumping about in the caravan x

11. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I agree that I don;t think it will be a problem. It sounds as though all the dogs are balanced (apart from a bit of grumpiness!), so therefore you should have little problem.

If you do go and it doesn;t work out, you can always come home.......

12. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I don't see a problem if they can meet a couple times before hand.

I was concerned when my 8 month golden met a yorkie aspo, who is tiny, but he made sure to put Rupert in his place and wasn't afraid to nip him when he was out of line. they got along fine, just had to remove the food as this dog is allowed to graze and Roo would have eaten the whole tub :eek:

13. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

I would trust your own instincts in this one.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice