Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I feeding my 10 month old cat enough/too much?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Oakley&Olive, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Oakley&Olive

Oakley&Olive PetForums Newbie

My 10 month old male neutered cat was having 130g of animonda carny twice a day. He's on adult version as my other older cat was on adult and he kept ignoring his kitten food and eating hers!

I give him 15g of applaws dry food as a treat using puzzle feeders or as rewards.

He's started to looking very podgy with a hanging belly so I've been slowly cutting his food down to 100g of AC x 2 a day with continued 15g of dry.

He is constantly crying for more food and eats up the meals as though he's starving. Should I be feeding him more? If so, how much is the right amount?

I'm very conscious about having a fat cat, I know it's not good for him. I want to ensure I get the right balance.

He's indoor but he has plenty of play and exercise. Although can be a little lazy at times!

Thank you in advance. (some pictures showing his current size) 20210120_091939.jpg 20210120_091939.jpg 20210205_211237.jpg 20210118_102612.jpg

2. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

If he’s 10 months I’d be feeding him when he’s hungry, kittens use a lot of energy

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You're doing it backwards.

Get rid of the kibble and feed three or four wet meals a day. Kibble is high carb junk food and should be the first thing to cut out of the diet.

4. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Senior

When you say 100g of AC twice a day, I assume you mean 200g total and not two 50g portions?

I don’t think that seems too much, especially for a large growing male. My small 3kg 11 month old female gets a 200g tin of a food that’s similar to AC a day and isn’t getting fat (I don’t think).

maybe cut out the horrible dry and continue feeding him 130gx2 AC? You don’t want him to go hungry, he’s still growing!

but maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can give better advice :)

#4 pennycat, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  5. Rachey

Rachey PetForums Junior

My 11.5 month kittens eat between 400-500g of wet food each day and maybe when 10 months would eat 350-400g (ts recently increased) neither of mine are fat but I am wondering when their appetite should slow down?

6. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

My almost 4 year old cats eat between 300g and 400g of high protein wet each per day.
    And they are strong but not at all fat, Annie even too slim for my liking.

How much cats eat really depends on their energy level and I guess it’s the same as with humans: Some eat loads and never put on weight, when for others it would be way too much.

7. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

A low hanging primordial pouch doesn't necessarily mean a cat is overweight.
    Have you used a body condition scoring chart?

Babyshoes likes this.
  8. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Member

New to cats having just got 2 rescue kitties before Xmas, but the youngest is a kitten who is now about 9-10 months old and his 1-2 Yr old mumma. She seems to live on thin air and the occasional bite but the kitten would eat 24/7 and is stacking the weight on. They've had to be back and too to the vets for speying and vaccinations etc and he has shot from 3kg to 3.6kg in a matter of weeks! He is eating about 100g of raw purrform in the morning, and a handful of RC kibble, another 50g of homecooked meat or fish in the afternoon and finally 100g of purrform or good wet food in an evening with more kibble left overnight. Am I overfeeding him I wonder?

9. Jenbob21

Jenbob21 PetForums Member

Aw he weighs more than my 3 year old boy!! I guess they are like humans, and all different but from the purrform calculator my boy should be on about 130g a day, hes having more as hes acting like hes starving to death but 200g a day sounds alot with other food too. I guess keep an eye on his weight as hes still growing and is probably very energetic!

10. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

I’ll tag @chillminx as she’ll be able to offer you good advice, but I’d definitely reduce the amount of kibble you are giving him, maybe even stopping it altogether (but @chillminx will know if this is ok to do to a kitten as I know sudden changes to a cats diet can be bad for them).
    Kibble is full of carbs & very bad for a cats diet, they don’t need kibble & don’t listen to vets or other people that say cats need to eat kibble as it cleans their teeth, it doesn’t.

lorilu likes this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Get rid of the kibble. Be sure the home cooked is balanced with the proper amounts of calcium and organ. Once he's full grown he can stand to have a little unbalanced food now and then (no more than 15% of his intake for the day) but kittens should always have everything completely balanced. I wouldn't feed anything non-blalanced until the cat is at least 18 months to 2 years old. Getting rid of the kibble and feeding 4 meals a day (or more if your schedule allows and you want to) is a good way to keep a cat at a good healthy weight without him getting too hungry between times.

The kibble is high carb junk food and not at all good for him. Monitor his weight after you get rid of it and if he needs a little more raw or canned, add it in.

I recommend getting a baby scale and weighing them weekly, or at least twice a month. (I weigh weekly)That's the best way to know if they are getting the right amount.

ebonycat likes this.
  12. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

I weigh both of my cats weekly as well.
    I brought a set of digital baby scales from amazon, make sure you buy a set that has a flat base not a curved base. Mine only cost about £25.
    Keep a log of their weight’s & it might be a good idea to write down their daily food intake.
    I keep a log for both of mine, then if there’s any weight loss or one of them isn’t eating their meals I’ll notice it before it gets too bad.
    It’s also handy to show it to your vet if they become unwell.

lorilu likes this.
  13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I do the same. I've been keeping a cat journal since 1984! My first cat as an adult had asthma and a urinary tract blockage (which is when I stopped feeding kibble forever) and that's when I started keeping track and I never gave it up.

ebonycat likes this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

PS Cats need a fasting period to give the digestive system a rest and to keep their motility healthy. At his age he is plenty able to go 8-10 hours overnight without a meal. Digestion takes an enormous amount of energy. When a cat is nibbling at kibble all day long all that energy is always focused on digestion, which takes away from the energy needed for other organs and bodily functions. In addition, cats need to have an empty stomach and feel hunger to stimulate pyloric emptying, this is when the fur they've ingested from washing gets moved out of the stomach and proceeds through the digestive tract and pooped out.

ebonycat likes this.
  15. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

I’ve done it since we rescued our family dog when I was very young & with every animal I’ve had since then.

I wasn’t really like normal kids, I preferred being with my animals & if I wasn’t with them my head was in a book.

Calvine and lorilu like this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

like looking in a mirror :)

ebonycat likes this.
  17. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Member

Hi All, thanks for the advice but I suppose I should have put it in context, they were 2 rescue cats from an overun farm and both were underweight when I rehomed them so the vet advised they could do with gaining a sensible amount to improve their scrawny conditions. The kibble is only out as currently the mumma cat is being a bit of a worry and is refusing all but a few mouthfuls of raw but will eat the kibble, but I cant seperate them. I'm keeping a close eye on her as she's not really thriving so despite her being given a fairly clear bill of health in December we may be back up the vets?
    I can't really do 4 meals a day as I work a short day 9-2ish, so they are fed at 7am, 2-3pm and again at 9pm ish, I should add the homemade eg poached fish, raw turkey mince, beef bits etc are only small amounts in the afternoon, if I do a whole homemade meal I add felini complete to it. I haven't really found a good compete wet food they have consistently enjoyed yet, they came on felix but their tummies were dreadful. I've tried:
    Bozita - they licked the jelly off but left the meat to dry
    Something Hunter? - again met with only mild interest and picked at
    Cannagans - expensive and she wouldnt eat
    Butchers - wouldnt eat
    Wild freedom - They didn't even try!
    Applaws - they liked this but I read it wasnt complete?
    Gourmet solitaire - now they like this but not sure how good it is?

Being new to cats I'm amazed how fussy and faddy these little furballs are!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice