Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I Feeding Him Enough

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Randomly Set, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Randomly Set

Randomly Set PetForums Senior

Our Bedlington was 9 weeks old yesterday. We got him last Tuesday. The breeder said he was used to being fed around 7am 12-1 and 5-6.

We feed him dry food, James Wellbylove. He has around 50-60g per meal based on their guide on the back.

For the first few days, this was fine. In fact, it would probably take him an hour to eat as he would go to his bowl, eat about half (or just over) and then pick at it for the next 30-60mins.

We noticed Saturday (I think), and yesterday and this morning, that he has literally ate all his meals in "one sitting". Yesterday he was sniffing around his bowl area between meals.

I must also say that he was the biggest of the litter, he was also the only male.

Also, thinking about it, he had fewer treats at the weekend.

I was going to continue with this amount of food until next week and maybe increase it slightly then.

Is there a "guide" as to what you should feed a dog? For example, 10g per 1kg of body weight, or 10% of their body weight for the day etc? (obviously I've made those numbers up for examples :D)

I don't want him to go hungry, but also don't want him to get fat or beg.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

2. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

I don't think you should leave food down so he has access all the time. As they he wont eat at the set times because he will learn very quickly that food is always available.

You are best to go by the amount on the packet, but don't get too hung up on amounts, I was the same when we had Ben as a pup.

3. Randomly Set

Thanks.

I thought that, I want him to "learn" he has set meals. We (myself and OH) both measured weights with our hands. Bowl on scales, and see how many hand fulls is required for 50-60g. For her it's 2 big hand fulls. For me, 1 big and 1 small or 2 "average" lol. Basically, the surface of his bowl is not visable and bits aren't "pilled" on top of each other.

I think he gets more from me :D

Just really don't like to think I'm letting him go hungry - although I'm sure he's not as he doesn't even beg when we eat (unless we have a yoghurt - he must be able to smell the milk or something).

4. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

My puppy has always eaten her meal in one go without any problems. I'd also advice not to leave it on the floor.

Mine is 13 weeks old now and I just guess the measurements for her. She is currently on 100g of fishmongers dry in the morning and half a can of wainwrights wet for lunch and the same for tea. My puppy is very small for her age though, probably weighs less than your bedlington at 9 weeks :rolleyes: :)

5. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

He could be having a growth spurt - this would mean that he needs extra food to meet his calorific requirements. I would feed to appetite for the next couple of weeks (if he just has dry food, he's unlikely to eat from greed - it's like yourself, you may scoff loads of chocolate, but you'd be unlikely to overdose on broccoli :biggrin:).

As long as he doesn't start to get fat, I can't see that it's a problem. Some dogs, like some people, just have bigger appetites but don't necessarily put on excess weight.

6. Randomly Set

mmmmm..... didn't think of that. The OH did say he looks to have gotten bigger all of a sudden.

Right, "dinner time". Better pop back home to let him out of his cage and stretch his legs and scoff some dinner :D

7. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

I wish my miniature rottie would have a growth spurt :rolleyes: haha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice