Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I feeding her enough?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by amylou8, Aug 4, 2009.

1. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

I am a bit worried that Mazie is not getting enough food.

Mickey and Mazie both get a pouch of purely in the morning and the evening, they also have a constant supply of James Wellbeloved biscuits. Mazie eats all of her pouch and more often than not half of Mickey's and then starts licking the bowls! S

She very rarely eats the biscuits (Mickey prefers these to his wet food)

I started to think last night that perhaps I should put down a pouch and a half for her but then she is having that already as she eats Mickey's. She is a tiny cat and is not at all overweight.

I don't think it is worms as she always has her drontal on time and I have been checking her poo which is fine.

Has anybody got any advice on this?

2. rottiesloveragdolls

some cats wont eat wet or dry foods so 1 pouch day and night wouldnt be enough imo? leaving the dry foods down is a good thing i always have dry food readily available for my cats/kittens, but if i know 1 isnt eating enought then i will give more of what they do like, if that makes sense

3. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

Yeah they are both wormed. At the moment Mazie is eating about a pouch and a half morning and night as Mickey only eats a bit and then goes for his dry food, do you think I should give her more than this?

4. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

What you're doing sounds fine, but it depends on the age & breed of cat you've got. I free feed all my cats premium dry food & they regulate themselves - none are overweight. Females do tend to be smaller/lighter than males, but if she's a kitten she could be having a growth spurt. Be guided by the feeding instructions on the wet food to how much she should be having, but if she looks & feels right, she should be ok. The male probably appears to eat less as he prefers the dry biscuits which he can graze on all day like mine do, so won't be as hungry when you put the wet food down. Hope this helps :)

5. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

Thanks Muchbunch.

She is a moggy and about 9 months. I think she does have a tendancy to be greedy as she was fed on scraps before we got her. When I am cooking/eating she won't leave my side and will try and eat anything!!

I think I will see how she goes and if she keeps licking bowls I may temporarily up her food and see if she eats it all.

I felt terrible last night watching her lick the bowl!

6. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

No probs. One of my rescues over ate at first - not used to having food around when they want it, but at 9 months, she could definately be having a growth spurt - they always eat more then. She's got biscuits available all the time anyway, so she won't go hungry - she'd eat them if she was. Probably more to do with not being used to having good regular food available, but they'll get used to it. Know what you mean about them being around when food is - when I got my first two, they were nearly on my plate trying to see what I'd got or having a sly lick - drove me insane!! They did grow out of it though - I just made sure I resisted the cute faces & moved them away when they did it. Bit harder when they're climbing up your legs in the kitchen though :eek:hmy:

7. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

That sounds exactly like Mazie! She tries to sneak up and grab some food from our plates with her paw! She also sits right in front of the oven when I am cooking and waits! It doesn't matter what time we have dinner or where she is, she always seems to appear in the kitchen out of nowhere!!

8. HumpyD

HumpyD PetForums Newbie

We have the opposite problem.

Our 2 year old male barely eats 1 pouch a day. We always give him a small bowl of dried with his wet but he doesn't finish that either; probably eats the equivalent of 1 bowl of dried a day.

He is certainly not underweight; if anything he is probably a bit overweight (@5kg - he's a moggie but we think he has some bengal or the like in him as he has very big paws and a big frame) but he is an indoor cat so doesn't get so much exercise.

I am conscious that the food we give him is not the best by any means (Felix marinades) but he likes it which is the main thing. We've tried him on practically everything else but this is the one he prefers. I'm pretty sure these type of foods (Felix, Whiskas) contain a lot of cereal and not much actual meat. Could this be why he doesn't eat too much as the cereal is bulking him out?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice