Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Classyellie, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Pippa has been home now for almost 2 weeks now and from the start I have left a bowl of water in there for her at night - but in most articles I've read 'they' say not to? She had a wee in her crate the first night only and nothing since then and for the past 4 nights has slept from 11.30pm to about 7.30am with no waking up in between and no messing either.

Should I just continue leaving her water in?

Also I put her back into her crate when she gets tired - not so much for my convenience but for the peace of my older dog who Pippa constantly chases around :D She goes in no problem, no crying, and goes straight to sleep. She never cries to come out, just waits patiently for me to let her out! Again, do you think this is ok?

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I've never crate trained but my dogs always have water down. It seems a bit dumb to not leave water down for them, especially in this weather.

3. Classyellie

That's what I thought :confused:

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

My personal opinion is that ALL dogs should have access to water overnight.

Yes, some pups may pee, but id rather they do that then not have water, especially as they dehydrate so easily.

"They" talk utter nonsense sometimes.

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'd say leave the water down, she's only a little pup and will dehydrate quickly, even in normal weather conditions :)

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

We left water in Mika's pen overnight. Sure he made a mess but he was a baby and we did have some 'dry' times.

What i would suggest is make sure you take pup out for a wee before you go to bed. You probably do anyway but i thought i'd suggest it again.

7. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

I too have always left water down for my pups overnight

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I never have but then my crates arent really big enough without leading to water soaked bedding! Also my lot dont really drink alot at night time anyway. I dont see its a problem, if you want to leave water and they dont pee in there every night then why not?
    In this weather they do need plenty of access to water anyway.

9. bird

bird PetForums VIP

You're not doing wrong, keep things just as they are. :D :D
    Most of these books are just guidelines not bibles.

10. Dogs should always have access to fresh water, whether crated or not.
    DT

11. Classyellie

Thanks. I do take her out just before bedtime and she always 'goes' :D I was staying awake until gone 2am to see if she wakes up again but all she does it wake up for a drink then straight back to sleep :)

12. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

I don't put water in the overnight crates and they have, to date, all seemed fine with that.

The pups haven't had water at all except when outside in the garden whilst it has been so hot and then they drank a bit and then paddled, splashed and gerneally disposed of the water. When they were first away from their mum they had water but we spent almost more time clearing that up than the wee so up to now they have had a huge quantity of water in their food - and I mean huge since that is what it soaks up - and seem to be fine with plenty (!) of wee.

I would however be thinking of moving them on to drier kibble with a bowl of water in the next week or so but still wouldn't leave the temptation of water overnight.#

Each to their own and whatever seems to work for you I reckon

13. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

water is always available in our crate at night for Meg, she as an attachment that keps the bowl attached to the crate side and can't spill it over the crate floor.

Dogs should always have access to water, even at nighttime especially in this extreme hot weather

14. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

İ agree and believe it should be available at night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice