Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I confusing my dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by dizzylou, Jan 27, 2012.

1. dizzylou

dizzylou PetForums Member

We go to training classes and Dizzy has learnt to walk to heel fairly well, however I didn't want her to have to walk to heel ALL the time, but if we don't do this she will just pull all over the place, so I read up on loose leash walking which the website advised was completely different to walking to heel. This has worked really well but now I can't get her to walk to heel and am not sure if I have confused her or if she is just still learning the difference, we have been doing loose leash walking for about 2 weeks. I use the word 'heel' for the obvious and 'walk' when loose lead walking.

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

There shouldn't be a problem. Two different commands, two different actions the same as sit and down. She probably just needs a bit of time

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I agree with Hawksport, she shouldn't be confused as apart from different commands, your body posture would be entirely different.

I use 'close' for heelwork and nothing except the occasional 'steady' if my dogs are walked on a lead.

Why don't you try doing heelwork without the lead for a week or two and see if it makes a difference?

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Sounds like a very sensible approach to me.

5. dizzylou

dizzylou PetForums Member

Thank you all for your feedback, it's probably me being impatient, I will keep going as we have been.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice