Am I being pathetic?! Please help!

Discussion in 'Working & Sports Dogs' started by MarleyxIda, Dec 21, 2017.

1. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I thought hare coursing was banned now...
    I can't remember the ins and outs either but coursing the animal is supposed to be killed by a gun.

Sorry only snippets I have picked up on from local news stories...they could be pulling out parts of the law to suit said article...

However I read, I would rather not but I like it when those that are caught illegally coursing in my area get sentenced. It's rife here. It's surprisingly how far people travel, however I live in Lincolnshire. If anyone remembers the thread in general chat about the area people live in, I think Lincolnshire stood out for having vast countryside...it's a large county and therefore ideal for those who think they won't get caught. They do...but it might be a drop in the ocean...

Our rescues also take the brunt of those dogs who go lamping. Lamping should be purely for rabbits. There is a lot of nocturnal wildlife around and sadly dogs aren't robots and not always specific to chase rabbits....so some get injured badly from other animals; badgers are the worse. It's not necessarily from people badger baiting this occurs before people jump in, it's just as likely to happen when dogs are set to the lamp. Then they are found the next morning with awful injuries, and rescue centres in our area set out an appeal. As the barstool who trained and raised the lurcher, no doubt from puppyhood, now doesn't want to know.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Moving this to working dogs section .

Chatcat likes this.
  3. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

Hmm surely dog chat covers a whole host of dog related topics. I have posted photos and threads about working dogs (sheepdogs and police dogs) in this section and no one complained that it should be only in the working dog forum. Just because you personally don't agree with something contained within a post - which, incidentally was about the relationship with the OP's partner's dog and future dog and NOT about lamping itself - doesn't mean it should not be discussed.

Burrowzig likes this.
  4. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

Hare coursing is illegal. Rabbiting and lamping is not illegal.

5. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

Hardly welcoming though eh?

6. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Not being welcoming is hardly the same as attacking though eh?

Chatcat and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I think 've made a mistake moving this thread and blurred the borders !
    The thread was started to discuss OP's relationship with her dog , her partner and any prospective future dogs they might own.
    So if their's any more to be said in that vein let's hear it, or the thread will be closed.

8. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Sorry Susie but if the OP had mentioned whilst discussing her partner and any prospective relationship with future dogs letting the dogs chase and kill pet cats or lambs then those things would have been picked up on and discussed just as the whole lamping/coursing/killing wildlife is being discussed. Are we to be censored on which bits of posts we are allowed to discuss and respond to?

DaisyBluebell, Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

No of course not , I fully understand how abhorrent we animal lovers find this subject. I'm at a loss to be honest.

10. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I think the original post was mostly about the OP's relationship with the new pup, but there was quite a bit of detail about lamping, so I think, on balance, the Working Dogs Section is the best place for it.

The thread can still easily be found by anyone who wants to comment.

Lurcherlad and SusieRainbow like this.