Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I being over sensitive?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by grumpy goby, Sep 26, 2013.

1. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

I am annoyed at work.. we are rearranging the office and the plan has dumped me in the corner with the admin girls.

I am a engineering manager and the planner has pulled me away from the tech team that I work with everyday and put a bloke in that spot who has nothing to do with them! In fact the guy actually works with the two women I have been sat with!!

It sounds petty but its nowhere near people I actually work with, and due to my promotion will be in charge of. We work closely as a team and require regular communication.

When I asked why he simply said he thought I'd be happier in the girls corner so we can gossip like hens...

It feels like I have been segregated away from the action because I have boobs!!!

Am I being over sensitive or is this archaic old school sexism in place?

Posted from Petforums.co.uk App for Android

2. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

no it isn't fair, they are technically being sexist towards you by saying that. I'd demand to be moved.

3. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Ummm I'd be telling him your there to do a job so your job is working with the tech team, and to be most effective in the job your payed to do you need to be with the team you are to manage...

I'm sure he thinks he's being nice but your a professional in a professional role and he needs to be made aware of that and I rarely use the sexist card BUT that comment is sexist as is the reason for putting you there, I'd be having words and asked to move to where you should be.. Or you will be complaining to HR :)

4. grumpy goby

I did speak to manager who agreed and said he thought the same when the plan came out. Sadly there are now no other seats and no one will move!!

Just makes communicating with my team a lot more difficult, esp as I am supposed to authorise and have final say on what they do.

One of them will be retiring soon so I will just have to make sure I can steal his seat when he does!!

Its the first time in 10 yrs I feel I have been actively hindered by my gender, in a male donminated role!

5. Mulish

Mulish Just a Little Penguin

Sounds like a sexist idiot to me. Can you talk to your superior/s and explain what's been done (I'd also tell them what he said) and arrange to be moved back with your team? Attitudes like his have no place in 2013 and frankly I'd be livid if he'd said that to me.

Good luck, hope you get put back with your team :)

ETA cross posted with you and Meezey. That sucks if you really are put away from your team just because of your gender and someone's outdated ideas. Are you sure someone can't be made to move? Surely blokey who is in 'your' place should be put with his co-workers?

#5 Mulish, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  6. grumpy goby

surely he should. but he's the one doing the plan heh so there you go. I'm stuck in menstruation nation and trying to keep an eye on my team across the office!! I may have another word to get moved

7. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

I would definitely filter in what he said to your bosses...

The gossip hens stuff is no joke these days and any boss worth their credence will take it seriously without you having to be dramatic and press the point home to them.

People can be made to move. You need a seat to communicate with your team.

8. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

can't you swap seats with the man that should be where you are? surely he to would prefer to be sitting with the people he works with

9. Mulish

Mulish Just a Little Penguin

Ahh, so he's sat himself with other blokes so he can have a chit chat with them, then?

10. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Mmm sex discrimination and all that :mad:

Thought that's illegal now

11. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Change places with the guy who works with the admin people ;)

12. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

So the bloke that did the new seating plan has placed himself with blokes you work with, and you with the women that he actually works with - and then says its so you can gossip like hens?? Sounds to me like he would just rather sit with the blokes, so thats what hes done!

I would definitely be playing the sexism card here - because it blatently is sexist!

I would go above him TBH, and state that you need to sit with the people you actually manage, and I would also drop in his 'gossip' comment - totally out of order.

13. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I would demand you swap seats, totally not on :mad:

14. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

Yes

All the girly typing totty should be in one corner, doing nails, reading Hello and chatting about babies and boyfriends while the men are away from them getting on with the real work

15. Colliebarmy

I will now walk the plank i have set up over the fish pond in the village

16. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I had hoped that, just this once, you might actually post something worthwhile but no...... your consistancy is consistant. :nonod:

17. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Were you born a w@nker or have you achieved it through sheer persistence, hard work and dedication?

18. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

If necessary, I think that I would even threaten to go to the union (if there is one in your workplace) or to an independent agency (if not) unless they sort it out.

19. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

There doesnt have to be. There is no union where I work, so I have joined one myself (UNISON - as they cover the voluntary sector which is where I work).

Well worth doing :yesnod:

20. Colliebarmy

FFS, is it a full moon, mass PMT or a group humour bypass offer in Hello?

IT WAS A ******* JOKE

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice