Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

am i being cruel ?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by janey70, Aug 8, 2009.

1. janey70

janey70 PetForums Junior

hi need some advice or assurance really tj is a puppy staff his 14 weeks now and from 6 weeks of age has slept on my bed with me he does have a cage but only stays in it when we go out for a few hours and is fine ,now i want to get him out of my bed and into his cage at night which is in kitchen i feel a bit cruel and guilty but do no this is for best he can sleep right through night now without needing toilet , just worried about the crying which knowing tj will deffo be on cards as hes ruined lol am i being cruel ? do i just let him cry all night ? my kids think im being cruel as his a baby as they put it ! any advice would be great thanks :idea:

2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Ok, first of all TJ should never have been on your bed in the first place (finger wagging - just teasing ya) but that's been done now. Secondly it is not ever too late nor is it too curel. Your kids need to learn you have to teach TJ that you are the boss not the other way round, otherwise he'll start to think the bed is his. Its not cruel. Its not like you put him in his pen 24/7. its a matter of 8 hours of your bedtime. if you teach him earlier, sooner rather than later that the pen is a positive place, by leaving his toys, in there, feeding him in his pen, he should be fine.

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

You're not being cruel he'll get used to it very quickly mine have slept in crates in the kitchen from day 1 and never had any problems. Feed him in there, give him treats in there etc so he learns its a good place and he'll be fine.

4. animallover111

sorry i cant offer any advice i have two staffy's sleeping on my bed....and my son has the other two on his bed........:blushing: :)

5. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

It's definately not too late! Don't feel guilty as it's for the best for him.

I'd like to know why you had him at 6 weeks though??

6. animallover111

why is it the best for him.....:confused:
    i think its personal choice....

7. janey70

janey70 PetForums Junior

i got him at 6 weeks as thats when so called breeders said i could and to be honest better with us than where he was they seemed to breed there dogs like there was no 2moz !
    ive never fed tj in his crate only in kitchen i leave door open for him he goes in there and plays sometimes ?
    im planning on doing this all tonight so praying he doesnt cry to much should i warn the neighbours ? lol

8. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Oh dear

I think im naughty

I have all mine sleeping on my bed

Nevermind lol x

9. janey70

janey70 PetForums Junior

lol how do u sleep with them all tj climbs over me when his awake wotever time it is !

10. Spaniel mad

Mine lay there and dont move. They all have their spot lol

11. animallover111

i dont think its naughty....ours sleep on our beds.....i dont see any reason why it is better to sleep in a crate downstairs......its down to personal choice...i love having my dogs at the bottom of my bed......:)

12. Spaniel mad

I love having my dogs with me too

I know they are safe and can keep an eye on them

13. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

I have 2 huge boxers sleeping on my bed and now Tia (8 week pup) also is sleeping there as well, I've never had a problem with them being on the bed and to be honest I love having a cuddle with them :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

14. Dundee

Dundee Banned

No, it's not cruel at all although he may well cry at first. I would feed all his meals in his crate so it become a little den for him and also cover it at night. If you prefer, you could always put the crate in your room and move it out little by little. Depends on how much he cries and how much your neighbours can take ;)

15. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi,
    Mine slept in our room in crates as pups so we could hear them during the night for toilet breaks,we then moved them downstairs and they have been absolutely fine :)

16. janey70

janey70 PetForums Junior

i tried having the crate in my room when i first got him but as soon as i moved he would wake up hence the sleeping in my bed lol tj is into sleeping next to me like his my partner and snores lol

17. R freeman

R freeman PetForums Newbie

i think the best thing to do is get a baby gate put him in the kitchen and put the baby gate across the door i do that with my two dogs but they do have a

treat in the morning they come in the bedroom to see me ;) from rita

18. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Ty used to sleep on or in the bed with us with his head right up on the pillow until child number 2 was born and Lottie slept on the bed for the first couple of nights we got her but now they both sleep in the kitchen where their bed is in the under stair space and we have a stair gate across it for bed time.
    If I had my way they would both be on the bed all the time but my wife is mean lol :p

19. animallover111

Mmmm now if i had a choice...husband(if i had one!!!)...or my dogs in bed with me......DOGS would win everytime......he could have the dogs bed in the kitchen!!!:)

20. Spaniel mad

I love your way of thinking lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice